User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 10 Jun 2004, 09:32   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Swedish navy launch state of the art lunchbo... er, i mean stealth ship

In a shocking move, those dastardly Swedes have beaten Jee Dublya and the US navy to the post in producing a stealth ship. Oh noes! Someone more technologically advanced weapons than the US! You do realise, you poor Swedish lot, that beating Mr Bush immediately grants you a place in the Axis of Evil right? Hope you've got plenty of helipads, cos the Apaches'll be turning up in a couple of days so some bored GI's can arrest half your population for looking at them in the wrong tone of voice, and then attach elctrodes to them.
Have fun!
Your only salvation lies in the hope that they'll laugh so hard they crash their helicopters, cos it looks like it's made out of cardboard by a 5 year old. C'mon, you could have at least gone for a cool catemaran design like that (fair enough, fictional) stealth ship in whichever James Bond film it was ("the world is not enough" i think?)

On a less politically ionised note:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3724219.stm
Unread 10 Jun 2004, 10:00   #2
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swedish navy launch state of the art lunchbo... er, i mean stealth ship

[/rant]

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2004, 10:13   #3
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

"The new ship is also controlled by state-of-the-art computers using a Windows NT operating system."

Uh-oh (someone would have mentioned it).
Unread 10 Jun 2004, 10:28   #4
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Wasn't that unveiled years ago? Or at least the prototype? Saw it on the Discovery Channel about 2 years ago or so.

Anyway,why the hell do the Swede's need a stealth ship then? Where will they be sneaking to? THEY HAVE PLANS I TELL YOU! PRE-EMPTIVE STRIKE!
Unread 10 Jun 2004, 10:31   #5
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Never trust a population that spends half its time in a sauna.

Unread 10 Jun 2004, 10:55   #6
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Never trust a people who's massive ego acts as a contraceptive.
Unread 10 Jun 2004, 11:16   #7
Petru
mefs

Petru is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
C'mon, you could have at least gone for a cool catemaran design like that (fair enough, fictional) stealth ship in whichever James Bond film it was ("the world is not enough" i think?)
You mean a Hoverspeed Seacat painted in matte black paint?

Username: HobbieRogue4
Password: ****petru

I was 'angry' a lot back then. :/
Petru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2004, 15:23   #8
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Countries with proper navies don't need "stealth ships", because we have nuclear submarines (or, in the case of the US, nucular submarines).
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2004, 15:40   #9
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petru
You mean a Hoverspeed Seacat painted in matte black paint?

yeah, but it looked cool, so what more could they have wanted
Unread 10 Jun 2004, 16:20   #10
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

the stealth vikings are coming!!!11

btw*, was Vicky the Viking (cartoon nostalgia) Norwegian or Swedish?

*[/transparent derailment attempt]
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2004, 16:22   #11
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

A friend of mine helped design the Type 45 for the RN, or define it's mission capabilities.

I'll have to phone him and ask why everyone has cool looking ships and we have something uglier than Ann Widdecombe.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2004, 16:28   #12
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

"Type 45", is that a codename for The Mary Rose?
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2004, 16:32   #13
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
A friend of mine helped design the Type 45 for the RN, or define it's mission capabilities.

I'll have to phone him and ask why everyone has cool looking ships and we have something uglier than Ann Widdecombe.
I think the Type 45 looks quite nice.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Unread 10 Jun 2004, 16:39   #14
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

You know what I just realised.

The premise of this ship is that it detects anything in range of it's interception/ranged attack before it can detect them.

What about stealth planes?

Also wouldn't it be great if we had a war where everyone was using stealth and like planes are flying over each other and boats are sailing right beneath the planes and everyone is like... You know it's too quiet out here where is everyone.

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2004, 17:18   #15
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
I think the Type 45 looks quite nice.
WHen you compare it to the US ship,which is completely enclosed, as is the Swedish. The French Lafayette class (this), which has been around for years, even looks relatively sleek, but ours has radomes sticking out of the mast, the bridge is unchanged from the same thing we've had for thirty years and it all looks stupidly top heavy.

What would you rather have? The Type 45 or something that looks like it was designed recently, like this

Unread 10 Jun 2004, 17:26   #16
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
WHen you compare it to the US ship,which is completely enclosed, as is the Swedish. The French Lafayette class (this), which has been around for years, even looks relatively sleek, but ours has radomes sticking out of the mast, the bridge is unchanged from the same thing we've had for thirty years and it all looks stupidly top heavy.

What would you rather have? The Type 45 or something that looks like it was designed recently, like this
Definitely the Type 45. The French one looks like a toy ship and the US one looks like its designers have been watching too much Star Wars.
Unread 10 Jun 2004, 17:28   #17
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

shut up
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2004, 18:03   #18
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Quote:
Definitely the Type 45. The French one looks like a toy ship and the US one looks like its designers have been watching too much Star Wars.
Maybe the Star Wars ship isn't such a bad idea if it means it's radar cross-section is markedly reduced and thus won't be detected by the relatively simple radar seeker heads on anti-ship missiles.

Unread 10 Jun 2004, 18:06   #19
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Maybe the Star Wars ship isn't such a bad idea if it means it's radar cross-section is markedly reduced and thus won't be detected by the relatively simple radar seeker heads on anti-ship missiles.
I'd rather have a nice-looking ship with a few more Goalkeepers or Phalanxes, to be honest.
Unread 10 Jun 2004, 18:31   #20
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

I'm sure the sailors on board would agree that having to destroy a missile flying at close to Mach 1 when it's a mile away and locked on your ship, rather than not being targeted at all, is a small price to pay for having something that looks like a good, old-fashioned warship

Unread 10 Jun 2004, 18:34   #21
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
I'm sure the sailors on board would agree that having to destroy a missile flying at close to Mach 1 when it's a mile away and locked on your ship, rather than not being targeted at all, is a small price to pay for having something that looks like a good, old-fashioned warship
Exactly.
Unread 10 Jun 2004, 18:47   #22
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

I'd rather not be on a ship as they're full of queers.

Oh, wai...
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2004, 19:12   #23
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Quote:
Exactly.
Based on this logic, I guess you'd prefer a small, gold-inlaid antique single shot pistol instead of a modern automatic rifle with a sniper scope?

AS LONG AS YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE IT, AM I RITE ?

Unread 10 Jun 2004, 19:24   #24
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Based on this logic, I guess you'd prefer a small, gold-inlaid antique single shot pistol instead of a modern automatic rifle with a sniper scope?

AS LONG AS YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE IT, AM I RITE ?
If you design stupid-looking ships to avoid outdated weapons, the enemy will update their weapons but you'll still have a fleet of stupid-looking ships. Plus naval recruitment would be rather difficult if the mighty British fleet looked like someone had bought it at Woolworths.
Unread 10 Jun 2004, 19:58   #25
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

I think you'll find that Exocet missiles, dating back to the 70's, are still very efficient at finding large radar contacts and hitting them. Hitting them in turn, is rather difficult.

As for naval recruitment, by the time these ships are in service, the 19 year olds teh recruiters will be targeting will havegrown up playing with PokeMon and watching Matrix movies. Do you think they will want to serve on something their fathers would recognise, or something that looks like it might still have a chance of survival in more than three years time.

Unread 10 Jun 2004, 23:01   #26
KraKto$is8
Lurker

KraKto$is8 is infamous around these parts

Quote:

The first one looks like a toy ship, the second one looks like something from Total Annihalation... war is not a game, boys!