User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 17 Mar 2004, 19:02   #1
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
ITT, I Overcome the Evuhl ISP with the help of GD

Well , at least i hope I do.

See, the local ISP here, in its infinite wisdom, doesnt offer a news server. Thus i need a news server i can connect through to get at the newsgroups. which im reliably informed are not currently subject to the draconian methods being adopted by the Islands biggest ISP.

So you guys will help me out here, right?
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 19:03   #2
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Question Re: ITT, I Overcome the Evuhl ISP with the help of GD

Can't you just buy The Indie or something?
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 19:12   #3
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ITT, I Overcome the Evuhl ISP with the help of GD

Don't most shell accounts give you access to this wonderful feature.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 19:12   #4
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid00
Don't most shell accounts give you access to this wonderful feature.
The swooshing you hear is the sound of that going right over my head.

Please explain.
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 19:19   #5
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

binaries or not?
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 19:21   #6
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://sdf.lonestar.org/index.cgi?access
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 19:21   #7
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarak
binaries or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurashima
The swooshing you hear is the sound of that going right over my head.

Please explain.
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 19:24   #8
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid00
Ok , so i telnet to that address and set up my own shell, how exactly?
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 19:24   #9
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
binaries or not?
Are you attempting to bipass your ISPs filesharng rules by using newsgroups?

(binary newsgroups contain pictures, movies, warez, etc)

Easynews, http://google-easynews.easynews.com/ , is one of the better services but again, you have to pay
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 19:32   #10
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
Are you attempting to bipass your ISPs filesharng rules by using newsgroups?

(binary newsgroups contain pictures, movies, warez, etc)

Easynews, http://google-easynews.easynews.com/ , is one of the better services but again, you have to pay
And of course, you guys know of a free alternative , right? .... Right?

:eek:
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 19:40   #11
Ragnarak

erm it depends what binary groups you want access to. I've never really bothered about it cos i never had a fast enough connection to get all the rars before they disappeared.

First off, see what binary groups you can get for free, with like ntl or freeserve.

news.ntlworld.com doesn't require you to login but it may need you to be connecting from an NTL address, i don't know
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 19:42   #12
Ragnarak

ntl even carries alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.midgets
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 20:37   #13
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
ntl even carries alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.midgets
Thats genuinely disturbing.
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 20:42   #14
Ragnarak

Quote:
Thats genuinely disturbing.
Heh that was one of the milder ones
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 20:47   #15
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
erm it depends what binary groups you want access to. I've never really bothered about it cos i never had a fast enough connection to get all the rars before they disappeared.

First off, see what binary groups you can get for free, with like ntl or freeserve.

news.ntlworld.com doesn't require you to login but it may need you to be connecting from an NTL address, i don't know
i have a reasonably fast connection. However i need to be able to connect to a news server which DOESNT involve my ISP. NTLWorld does appear to be beyond me.
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 20:54   #16
Ragnarak

Quote:
i have a reasonably fast connection. However i need to be able to connect to a news server which DOESNT involve my ISP. NTLWorld does appear to be beyond me.
news.ntlworld.com doesn't let you in?
i assume you know how to create a newsgroup account in outlook/outlook express...
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 20:58   #17
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
news.ntlworld.com doesn't let you in?
i assume you know how to create a newsgroup account in outlook/outlook express...
Indeed I do. Alas, when i try and download from it, it tells me "An Unknown response was received from the news server news.ntlworld.com".

What i need is a public newserver, preferably not tied to a specific ISP (As those will inevitably require a logon through that ISP) through which i can access the majority of public newsgroups.
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 21:05   #18
Ragnarak

http://www.newsservers.net/

try them? just tried a random one on list and it carries some binaries, not many though.
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 21:24   #19
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
http://www.newsservers.net/

try them? just tried a random one on list and it carries some binaries, not many though.
Helpful. Alas, i really need something hosting everything from Binaries to heavy duty files (No filetypes mentioned, for Piracy is bad, mmkay). Any other thoughts welcomed.
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 21:28   #20
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

Claranews
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 21:29   #21
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

Oh, you wanted a free one, sorry.

Also, download a program called Giganews for browsing the newsgroup, so much better than that outlook faggotry.
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 21:31   #22
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids
Claranews
And that would be free would it?
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 22:35   #23
KraKto$is8
Lurker

KraKto$is8 is infamous around these parts

www.news2web.com

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 23:06   #24
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of

http://groups.google.com ?
Not a news-server though, and also it's slow in updates (about 5 up to 9 hours ish), but at least it works nicely!
Unread 17 Mar 2004, 23:50   #25
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

as far as im aware kura you cannot get binaries for free if your isp does not provide them.

this is because that uses a ****load of bandwidth (40gb a day i was told when i was working at an isp)

i could be wrong, but thats as far as i know.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 18 Mar 2004, 01:06   #26
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If you want binaries, using an isp's news server is a waste of time as the posts don't stay on the server long enough for you to download them. Get a paid news service.

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Mar 2004, 01:12   #27
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

binaries = downloading files, essentially.

You arent going to get binaries newsgroup access for free if your ISP isnt carrying them; be prepared to pay 10-20 pound a month or thereabouts. If you just want usenet for reading the many multifaceted and stimulating discussions that take place there rather than to download files, youll be able to get free access.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Mar 2004, 19:08   #28
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
as far as im aware kura you cannot get binaries for free if your isp does not provide them.

this is because that uses a ****load of bandwidth (40gb a day i was told when i was working at an isp)

i could be wrong, but thats as far as i know.
blueyonders feed is >1TB/day
Unread 18 Mar 2004, 19:19   #29
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

what the last 4 posters including me said
Unread 18 Mar 2004, 19:51   #30
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I seriously doubt that the bandwidth used by a fast binaries usenet server is anywhere near as low as 40gb a day.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Mar 2004, 19:54   #31
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I seriously doubt that the bandwidth used by a fast binaries usenet server is anywhere near as low as 40gb a day.

i assumed he meant that was maximum per user or something
Unread 18 Mar 2004, 21:10   #32
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
wasnt the full stream iirc, as we didnt provide all of it due to some sattellite thing being broken.
Unread 18 Mar 2004, 22:45   #33
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Realistically, i need a public FTP , an HTTP server , or a newsgroup which is free and can host large files.

Everything on P2P is throttled/blocked.
Unread 18 Mar 2004, 22:55   #34
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

yup :-(