User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 13 Sep 2004, 17:25   #1
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
Batman finally back on TV

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3652502.stm

i'm glad they caught Robin before he could make an appearance.

*SWOOSH* *BANG* *ZAPP*
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 17:38   #2
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Batman finally back on TV

Bad punning but I fully support what the guy represents.

I think it's abbhorrent that all too often the male gender is villianized in custodial and divorce situations, just as bad as what the more orthodox islamic law enforced countries do to females.

Sometimes you can end up swinging the balance too much in the wrong way trying to equalize things when really it should all be about justice.
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 17:41   #3
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

How the hell can some bloke just leg it into Buckingham Palace? The Queen needs to sort her security out.

Agreed with what Sunday said .
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 17:44   #4
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
How the hell can some bloke just leg it into Buckingham Palace? The Queen needs to sort her security out.

Agreed with what Sunday said .
Armed Guard: "Sir, we have batman entering the grounds, should I open fire?"
Officer in Charge: "Batman?!"
Armed Guard: "Yes Batman"
Officer in Charge: "Are you taking the piss?"
Armed Guard: "Sir, No sir, he's scaling the walls of buckingham palace, how should I proceed sir?"

Is how I imagine it.
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 17:51   #5
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

And if he was a terrorist, **** knows where we wld be rite now!
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 17:52   #6
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
He'd of been shot dead at the gates, I don't think any terrorist would think an oddball plan like running into a place in a batman suit with a bomb would work.

God forbid Fathers-4-Justice and Al Quadi (spelling) ever combine forces eh?

p.s. it grieves me to say this but I reckon that anyone of an arabic or asian description would be stopped 20 yards from reaching the gates anyway.
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 18:49   #7
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Batman finally back on TV

Why have the members of the this group such an obsession with dressing as comic book characters, and then climbing public monuments?

If I was intent on making a serious demonstration, I can't imagine any circumstances where I would reason that dressing up as Spiderman or Wonder Woman would help to bolster the seriousness of my cause or argument.

There's certainly some sort of psycho-sexual thing going on with these people, I think.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 18:54   #8
Sunday8pm
Banned

Not at all.

IT has several points imo.

For example, Streaker running onto a pitch with a message? or Batman running onto a pitch with a message, which do you think would be noticed more in your opinion? The first has been done to death.

Children idolise Comicbook/fictional superhero's and sometimes see them as figures of respect and these hero's in themselves are exceptional members of society so the comparisons between being a father that can't see his soon and identifying yourself with something your child probably reads/watches makes a lot of sense in that respect.

Also there is the underlying criticism that in the court systems these days, parents when it comes to custodial problems where the courts are involved are often asked to perform what could be considered superheroic style demands to satisfy the judges request, especially in cases where the parents are not affluent.

I personally think it was inspired and awesome what he achieved, everyone generally ignores big marches these days, when you've had millions march against things, 10k people marching for better parent rights isn't probably going to register on anyone's oh I care meter.

That and of course I could imagine that the batman disguise severely threw off the security long enough to break in.
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 19:17   #9
JamMak
Cynical Optimist

JamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday8pm
Not at all.

IT has several points imo.

For example, Streaker running onto a pitch with a message? or Batman running onto a pitch with a message, which do you think would be noticed more in your opinion? The first has been done to death.

Children idolise Comicbook/fictional superhero's and sometimes see them as figures of respect and these hero's in themselves are exceptional members of society so the comparisons between being a father that can't see his soon and identifying yourself with something your child probably reads/watches makes a lot of sense in that respect.

Also there is the underlying criticism that in the court systems these days, parents when it comes to custodial problems where the courts are involved are often asked to perform what could be considered superheroic style demands to satisfy the judges request, especially in cases where the parents are not affluent.

I personally think it was inspired and awesome what he achieved, everyone generally ignores big marches these days, when you've had millions march against things, 10k people marching for better parent rights isn't probably going to register on anyone's oh I care meter.

That and of course I could imagine that the batman disguise severely threw off the security long enough to break in.
+dads are super heroes too!
JamMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 19:18   #10
Sunday8pm
Banned

Ironically most male Superhero's are childless.
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 19:36   #11
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I would probably ignore both of them on the grounds that they are both probably attention-seeking loonies without a serious message.

Quote:
Only villans go on a rampage and climb up Buckingham Palace, Sunday.

Quote:
If he could make his penis do tricks, I would let him off with a conditional discharge.

Quote:
No, most people ignore big marches these days because things like George Galloway or the Countryside Alliance are usually inevitably involved.

Quote:
Mabye Robin created a diversion.
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 19:38   #12
Sunday8pm
Banned

You're upset that you haven't been nominated for a post of the week frequently aren't you?
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 19:42   #13
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
You're upset
I'm not upset. I'm pissed-off. Dreafully, dreadfully pissed-off.
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 19:42   #14
Quazi Starbucks
Heh

Quazi Starbucks is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson

Mabye Robin created a diversion.
Quote:
Fellow protester Dave Pyke, 48, dressed as Batman's sidekick Robin but was stopped by armed police, who allegedly threatened to shoot him, as he tried to scale the fence.
Quazi Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 19:54   #15
Marilyn Manson
Gone

I wouldn't have threatened to shoot him, I'd have shot him.
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 20:22   #16
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I agree with Sunday here. If they had just made a polite petition this wouldn't have got on the news and we wouldn't be discussing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
Erm, exactly where we are now? Why on Earth would I give a shit if the Queen got assasinated (not that that was even remotely likely)?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 22:08   #17
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I agree with Sunday here. If they had just made a polite petition
Who is advocating this?

I was merely highlighting the inanity of a supposedly serious protest and message combined with the attendant twaddle of dressing up as Batman.

I mean, does the fellow seriously believe that scaling Buckingham Palace with a large banner is insufficent to get him media attention, and that he further needs to dress as Batman?

My contention is that tactically, the costume is a bad idea - it devalues his own message.

Quote:
Erm, exactly where we are now? Why on Earth would I give a shit if the Queen got assasinated
Because she's an old woman and killing old women is not nice.

Oh you heartless Commie I shall go and cry.

Last edited by Marilyn Manson; 13 Sep 2004 at 22:17.
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 22:11   #18
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
He'd of been shot dead at the gates, I don't think any terrorist would think an oddball plan like running into a place in a batman suit with a bomb would work.
You mean until now?
Quote:
p.s. it grieves me to say this but I reckon that anyone of an arabic or asian description would be stopped 20 yards from reaching the gates anyway.
If they were wearing a Batman costume, who could tell?
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 22:13   #19
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
You mean until now?

If they were wearing a Batman costume, who could tell?
You try fitting a 5 foot beard into a batman suit.
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 22:21   #20
Superpig #1
^ ^ Clearly Stolen ^ ^

Superpig #1 is infamous around these parts

Heard this on the radio coming home from footy training, gave me a laugh
This is a man in a wheelchair - &

and that was my sig.
Superpig #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 22:25   #21
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I was merely highlighting the inanity of a supposedly serious protest and message combined with the attendant twaddle of dressing up as Batman.
I doubt everyone takes these things as seriously as you do Comrade Manson. I see it possible to have a serious protest while still having a sense of humour (OK, it's unfunny but you can see where he's coming from). Then again, one of the leaseholders from the street I manage turned up to our Audit Commission inspection dressed as a frog to show he was "hopping mad" with us. So perhaps I'm used to this sort of stupidity.
Quote:
Because she's an old woman and killing old women is not nice.
Normally I'd agree. She can renounce her position as the head of an immoral political system any time she chooses. If she did so then I would feel sorry for her if she died.
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 22:25   #22
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
You try fitting a 5 foot beard into a batman suit.
Only druids have 5ft beards
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 22:30   #23
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoderm
Only druids have 5ft beards
They also don't get bat form, bear form at lvl 12 though.
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 22:39   #24
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
I see it possible to have a serious protest while still having a sense of humour
So do I. But dressing up as batman is simply shit. It is neither humourous, nor does it add to his case.

Mabye I am coming at this from the wrong angle, but I seriously believe he would have attracted more positive support if he had just dressed like he would normally, and gone up there - he wouldn't have had practically everyone in this thread taking the piss out of the whole thing for starters. It would have impressed upon people his case. Dressing like batman to me has foolish overtones which don't need to be there.

P.S, can I buy you a Fanta sometime?

Quote:
Then again, one of the leaseholders from the street I manage turned up to our Audit Commission inspection dressed as a frog to show he was "hopping mad" with us. So perhaps I'm used to this sort of stupidity.
I'd have beaten him up with the other Commission members and stolen his wallet.

Quote:
Normally I'd agree. She can renounce her position as the head of an immoral political system any time she chooses. If she did so then I would feel sorry for her if she died.
Would you be sad if I got shot?
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 22:41   #25
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:

First in to say, No.
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 22:43   #26
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
First in to say, No.

^^^^ Swivel on it, ****.
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 22:46   #27
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
So do I. But dressing up as batman is simply shit. It is neither humourous, nor does it add to his case.
You're mean.

Quote:
P.S, can I buy you a Fanta sometime?
Yes, indeed.

Although, as Fanta was developed for the NAZIs by the Coca-Cola corporation it probably ranks as the least Communist drink in existence. But, I do like their new Fruit Crush flavour or whatever it is.

Quote:
Of course dear.
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 22:47   #28
Sunday8pm
Banned

Please don't tell me you fancy me
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 22:52   #29
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
You're mean.
If he'd dressed up as Santa or Hitler I'd have been more sympathetic.

Quote:
Yes, indeed.
I'm in there.

Quote:
Although, as Fanta was developed for the NAZIs by the Coca-Cola corporation it probably ranks as the least Communist drink in existence. But, I do like their new Fruit Crush flavour or whatever it is.
What about some sort of enjoyable fruit crush, produced by Slovakian peasants?

Quote:
Of course dear.
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 22:53   #30
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Please don't tell me you fancy me
I couldn't bring myself to find you attractive even if I was completely plastered, you had a reinforced double-strength paper bag on your head, and I hadn't had it in four years.
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 23:38   #31
Nadval
m00

Nadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant future

I think the batman costume makes it more memorable. There've been loads of security breaches in buckingham palace now, something needs to be unique about it. For instance now people can say "remember the guy who broke into buckingham palace wearing a batman costume" and people will know what they're talkin about, just like the osama bin ladan guy. Support the cause he did it for but think it was irresponsible of him as he could have been shot - although that would have attracted a great deal more publicity so maybe better things would have come from it, who's to say.

Dante Hicks - do you agree with state control over industry or simply the redistribution of wealth? (Contrary to popular belief they aren't dependant upon eachother.)
Nadval is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2004, 23:48   #32
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadval
Dante Hicks - do you agree with state control over industry or simply the redistribution of wealth? (Contrary to popular belief they aren't dependant upon eachother.)
I don't directly support either. I've commented on what I think of "wealth" in other threads, but it doesn't strike me as a particularly meaningful term. Land (and therefore resources) is of key importance, and this might be commonly managed depending on the circumstances. I'm not concerned with redistribution as such (because I don't really see what would need to be "redistributed" as such. It's not like there's a billionaire sitting on all the worlds bread or something). Equality I think is a generally misunderstood term, but in the sense I mean it'd be a desirable end for any social arrangement. But it's not something you do, more an attitude you have (kind of like liberty or fraternity).

As for "control of industry", I personally don't really wish to control anything. I don't think the state (if it exists) should control industry, if that's what you mean. I think individual groups (e.g. workers co-operatives) could control individual enterprises - but that's for them to decide.. How individuals manage their own affairs is none of my business really.