User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 18 Jul 2004, 13:03   #51
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: non IE (free) web browsers

can someone give me a link to get rid of the advert at the top plz.
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 13:03   #52
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
I use opera, and I haven't paid for it.
Well done, would you like a biscuit ?

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 13:03   #53
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

IE, and therefore 'Avant' too, is integrated within the windows OS, which is the reason why it is totally insecure.
Opera and firefox ARE secure.
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 13:06   #54
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Odd that, I quite happily use IE on my Mandrake box without me having to install Windows first

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 13:06   #55
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaio
Well done, would you like a biscuit ?

~Vaio~
It's not very hard, I downloaded it and here it is!

Saying you have to pay for opera is, at best, a hideous falsehood.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 13:07   #56
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Out of all the falsehood perpetrated in this thread, it's probably the most truthful

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 13:11   #57
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Odd that, I quite happily use IE on my Mandrake box without me having to install Windows first

~Vaio~
It is a FACT that IE is integrated within windows. And it's a FACT that it causes serious security problems. Ever tried entering a URL in windows explorer? It transforms into IE, because it's the same freakin application

edit: and I dont care what fancy trick you use to get IE working on mandrake, it's the stupidest act I have ever heard about
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 13:14   #58
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

wow, streaming is much cooler with opera .
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 13:16   #59
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Out of all the falsehood perpetrated in this thread, it's probably the most truthful

~Vaio~
Being false is a digital state.
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 13:18   #60
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

to view internetsites i use IE. it works.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 13:20   #61
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoeN
to view internetsites i use IE. it works.
I hop to get to work. It works.
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 13:30   #62
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I doubt any browser could be said to be totally secure unless...
That's hardly an excuse to justify the use of the most insecure browser available, which has even prompted the USA government to advise against using it. Both the Mozilla and Opera suites do not suffer from weekly discoveries of new vulnerabilities which compromise your Operating System. Although in all fairness, Mozilla/Firefox recently had a critical security flaw, but that was fixed in a day or so.
Quote:
Also, tt does reopen pages on improper shutdown
Not with their respective history.
Quote:
previously closed windows
Really? Where? I can't find any option to reopen a window I just closed.
Quote:
I can disablebackground sounds, GIF animations, Flash, Scripts, Active X or JavaScript at a single keypress and mouseclick.
Fair enough, the last time I tried AvantBrowser (a long while ago), it didn't have (m)any of these options. Although Opera still allows you to configure what you want to allow JavaScript to do, and what not.

And I hate the lack of inline find, or find-as-you-type, mouse gestures, and the interface which almost contains more buttons than Opera's default. In effect, AvantBrowser is a shell running on a highly insecure and outdated browser, which poorly mimics Opera's features. But hey, if you want to settle for less, that's your choice and loss
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 15:35   #63
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flayer
It is a FACT that IE is integrated within windows. And it's a FACT that it causes serious security problems. Ever tried entering a URL in windows explorer? It transforms into IE, because it's the same freakin application

edit: and I dont care what fancy trick you use to get IE working on mandrake, it's the stupidest act I have ever heard about
It's a Microsoft fact that IE is integrated within Windows so it isnt necessarily the truth. Use Google and find out the truth (or a truth, it's all subjective)

You don't need fancy tricks to get IE working on Mandrake, it's just an interesting challenge and is remarkable easy and painless

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 15:47   #64
Quazi Starbucks
Heh

Quazi Starbucks is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flayer
No but you could be a little idealistic and think about the poor web designers who have to go through a LOT of shit to get their pages to work in IE too, a browser that is 3 years old (a lifetime in internet development, so it doesn't support standards any more).
Is margins a total of width or isnt it, MAKE UP YOUR MIND!

if you code it well the differences are very, very slight
Quazi Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 15:53   #65
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quazi Starbucks
Is margins a total of width or isnt it, MAKE UP YOUR MIND!
The W3C is doing that with CSS3, which will allow you to set the box-model the browser should use.
Quote:
if you code it well the differences are very, very slight
Indeed. The annoyance is mostly in completely non-supported stuff such as :hover on attributes and position: fixed.
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 17:54   #66
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough

I have no problem with hover and positioning...however, IE not supporting the min and max height attributes is ****ing annoying.

Coding for IE is actually quite simple. Coding for IE, Firefox, Netscape, Safari, and Opera is where it gets awfully tricky..
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 19:03   #67
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandsnake
Coding for IE is actually quite simple. Coding for IE, Firefox, Netscape, Safari, and Opera is where it gets awfully tricky..
In reverse, coding for Firefox, Netscape, Safari and Opera is fairly simple. Getting it to work in MSIE as well is where the tricky part begins
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 19:54   #68
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
In reverse, coding for Firefox, Netscape, Safari and Opera is fairly simple. Getting it to work in MSIE as well is where the tricky part begins
not necessarilly true....Opera and firefox are far from perfect themselves.

That said, as a professional web designer, I don't have the luxury of not supporting a browser...Hell, I even have to code for NN4 in some cases.
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 20:22   #69
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandsnake
Opera and firefox are far from perfect themselves.
They're pretty strict when it comes to standards, though
Quote:
That said, as a professional web designer, I don't have the luxury of not supporting a browser...Hell, I even have to code for NN4 in some cases.
You should shoot people in the head who request you to do NN4 compatibility. The world will be a better place for it.
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 20:30   #70
Obliterate
:cool:

Obliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant future

Does IE support things like a[href^="mailto:"] { in CSS yet?

</random question>

p.s I prefer Firefox, because I'm used to it now - although Opera's pretty good aswell.
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 20:39   #71
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
They're pretty strict when it comes to standards, though
You should shoot people in the head who request you to do NN4 compatibility. The world will be a better place for it.
I agree wholeheartedly, but I've worked with lots of B2B stuff, so you get a higher percentage of NN4 users than normal. It's really quite scary that people will refuse to upgrade from that pile of shit. I've been quite vocal about stopping supporting it, but they pay the bills so....

That said, we've stopped supporting NN4 for normal commerce and publishing sites. Only for the ones still show decent NN4 usage in the stats.

Fortunately, I'm shifting more into the SEM/SEO side of things, so I worry about it less and less these days. I just get ulcers from clients wanting the holy grail of search engine marketing and not understanding that it's not as easy as it appears...
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 20:42   #72
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliterate
Does IE support things like a[href^="mailto:"] { in CSS yet?
Not that I know of...IE's biggest problem is CSS...

FORTUNATELY, MS has reconstituted the IE development team, so we might see some serious upgrades coming in the coming months. MS needs to stop the trickle before it becomes a landslide.

They lost an entire percent of market share for IE in 3 weeks. Doesn't sound like much but that could turn to avalanche fairly quickly.
Unread 18 Jul 2004, 21:01   #73
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

"I don't drink Coke, I don't shop in K-mart, I don't **** ugly women and I sure as hell don't use inferior internet web browsers"
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2004, 13:05   #74
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I buy (some of) my clothes in Primark and even I wouldn't choose IE.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote