User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 24 Oct 2018, 02:25   #1
synch

synch is on a distinguished road
Vipers, the bane of my life!

I'm a real perfectionist / OCD freak, and so its having a Cathaar ship called a Viper (and I suppose also the Basalisk) that really pisses me off.

Spider - Bug
Beetle - Bug
Viper - Snake
Widow - Bug
Roach - Bug
Tarantula - Bug
Mosquito - Bug
Hornet - Bug

Past Cathaar:
Wasp - Bug
Scarab - Bug
Mantis - Bug
Termite - Bug

So as you see, the Viper is the only ship that doesn't fit the Cat naming convention. Sticks out like a sore thumb!
I guess Basalisk should probably be a Terran name too, given its typically a mythical creature, but usually Cats have Termites as a SK so I'm assuming its an outlier?

Where did the Viper name come from? How did it make it into the Cat fleet list given its obviously not a bug? Is there a backstory?
synch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2018, 04:13   #2
Blue_Esper

Blue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Vipers, the bane of my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by synch View Post
I'm a real perfectionist / OCD freak, and so its having a Cathaar ship called a Viper (and I suppose also the Basalisk) that really pisses me off.

Spider - Bug
Beetle - Bug
Viper - Snake
Widow - Bug
Roach - Bug
Tarantula - Bug
Mosquito - Bug
Hornet - Bug

Past Cathaar:
Wasp - Bug
Scarab - Bug
Mantis - Bug
Termite - Bug

So as you see, the Viper is the only ship that doesn't fit the Cat naming convention. Sticks out like a sore thumb!
I guess Basalisk should probably be a Terran name too, given its typically a mythical creature, but usually Cats have Termites as a SK so I'm assuming its an outlier?

Where did the Viper name come from? How did it make it into the Cat fleet list given its obviously not a bug? Is there a backstory?
i thought cath planets were named after venomous creatures
Unread 24 Oct 2018, 07:48   #3
Pit
Hole in the ground

Pit is a glorious beacon of lightPit is a glorious beacon of lightPit is a glorious beacon of lightPit is a glorious beacon of lightPit is a glorious beacon of light

Not sure about back story, but it looks like the viper first appeared in Round 11 as a battleship.
Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2019, 12:42   #4
synch

Again with the odd names!

XAN

Phantom - undead
Banshee - undead
Revenant - undead
Ghost - undead
Bomber - ??
Peacekeeper - ??
Reaper - undead
Spectre - undead
Illusion - undead
Vampyre - undead
Haunt - undead

Where did Bomber and Peacekeeper come from? Why aren't people sticking with naming conventions? What happened to Wraith and Nightmare? Could even have something like Ghoul or Lich.

And when will we get rid of Viper?! The only non insect on Cathaar's list!
Unread 23 May 2019, 14:19   #5
CBA
Mind-boggling

CBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these parts

I am very upset about all of this

Could we have a comment from a admin?

R21-Randy Dandys Winners R21
1:9:5 -SoClose- -YetSoFar-

You have pending friend requests from Newt.
CBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2019, 15:30   #6
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Xan names have never all been spooky things: Vsharrak, Arrowhead, Fireblade, Bomber, Bolt Thrower, Peacekeeper, Broadsword have all been used at various times. I don't even know what a Vsharrak is. The first 7 results I find are all PA-related. As for Cath, Spider, Black Widow, Viper, Recluse, Scorpion and Tarantula are often used.

They're just names. Relax.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2019, 18:11   #7
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
Xan names have never all been spooky things: Vsharrak, Arrowhead, Fireblade, Bomber, Bolt Thrower, Peacekeeper, Broadsword have all been used at various times. I don't even know what a Vsharrak is. The first 7 results I find are all PA-related. As for Cath, Spider, Black Widow, Viper, Recluse, Scorpion and Tarantula are often used.

They're just names. Relax.
All cloaked ships was "spooky", just depends what era you are from i suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synch View Post
Again with the odd names!
Where did Bomber and Peacekeeper come from?
The initial xan names was quite long, i guess "vsharrack" was the only one who stuck.
"Xentrallis Peacekeeper" and "Andvordian Bomber" was the initial name. Ghost/Phantoms/Spectre/etc/"spooky names" was not apart of the initial xan(the race) ships.
I guess the names came from place/planets that was under the imaginative xans race control

RB Ely MISTU Angel Fusi0n 1up ToF VisioN CT FAnG ROCK
BloodyButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2019, 18:18   #8
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

the tards are out in force again .... its just a browser game
Unread 23 May 2019, 21:13   #9
Vip3r

Vip3r is on a distinguished road

I agree with the viper thing, please change it

Its wrong in more then 1 way
#Heresy r.74-76 / r80
#Carnage r.77-79
#Carn r.81
Vip3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2019, 23:37   #10
Cowkimon

Cowkimon has a spectacular aura aboutCowkimon has a spectacular aura aboutCowkimon has a spectacular aura about

To circumvent your OCD, the "hawk moth caterpillar" (bug) can disguise itself to look like a viper snake to ward away predators.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...e-untamed-spd/

Its full name is too long for us simpleton PA players so instead use Viper

And if that doesn't satisfy you then...death to all Vip3rs..I mean Vipers!

Big fan of Catillacs though. Also not bug? :O
Cowkimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2019, 11:07   #11
synch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisley View Post
the tards are out in force again .... its just a browser game
Oh cmon, it was a bit of tongue in cheek! I'm not sitting here losing sleep over names in an online game I semi-actively play as a scanner

But thank you for the ad hominem attack, nice to be insulted in one of my vary rare trips to the forum