User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 30 Apr 2003, 21:08   #1
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
Case Fans

I need some new, much quieter case fans, and I just wondered if any of you have any experience/advice you would care to share.

I'm also considering getting a rheostat/baybus, advice on that would be helpfull too.

tyia
Unread 30 Apr 2003, 21:26   #2
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
If I remember correctly, Panaflo make some very quiet fans as well as Papst, Papst can be found at www.overclockers.co.uk.

Always remember: bigger the fan, lower the noise.

And you can build a rheo or baybus, if you're not up for that then this (bottom of page) is shiny looking and should do the trick.
Unread 30 Apr 2003, 21:44   #3
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
I am limited to purchasing 80mm fans, as I don't want to bother with enlarging the existing holes. The Papst ones on overclockers.co.uk are 32 dBa, and I'd be getting six of them (although only using 5).

Does anyone know what the overall noise level of all the fans would be?
Unread 30 Apr 2003, 21:48   #4
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Belgarath The Sorcerer
I am limited to purchasing 80mm fans, as I don't want to bother with enlarging the existing holes. The Papst ones on overclockers.co.uk are 32 dBa, and I'd be getting six of them (although only using 5).

Does anyone know what the overall noise level of all the fans would be?
I'm almost certainly wrong but I'd say '32db'. Just make sure when you're fitting them you buy some rubber grommets too, it'll limit the vibration from the fan hitting your case which serves only to cause more noise.

Also make sure you've got rounded IDE cables etc, and consider 7v modding the fans if you don't go the baybus route.
Unread 30 Apr 2003, 22:09   #5
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Five 32dB fans would collectively be making 38.99dB of sound.

However, you must factor in other possible sound sources such as CPU fan, PSU fan(s), GFX fans or even HDD.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2003, 22:11   #6
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Quote:
Originally posted by Luckeh!!!!
Five 32dB fans would collectively be making 38.99dB of sound.
Please tell me how you work that out (I'm interested to know for future reference).

Also, overclocks have some ys-tech 20 dBa 80mm fans that I'll probably get.
Unread 30 Apr 2003, 22:14   #7
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by Belgarath The Sorcerer
Please tell me how you work that out (I'm interested to know for future reference).

Also, overclocks have some ys-tech 20 dBa 80mm fans that I'll probably get.
Is there a specific reason you're looking for 80mm fans? I ask only because you can probably get 120->80mm convertors (as you can 80->60mm for use on a heatsink), and the amount of noise produced by a 120 is, in the words of our Lord Jesus, **** all.

And you get to run em slower for the same throughput as an 80
Unread 30 Apr 2003, 22:14   #8
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Basically this

To add decibels, let the dB level = X(1,2,3 etc...) for each source.
First divide the dB value by 10: X(n)/10
Then raise 10 to the power of (X/10): 10^(X(n)/10)
Then add the results: E(10^(X(n)/10))
Then calculate the log of the sum and multiply it by 10.

I've done all that on a spreadsheet so I just need to input the values, or if you know a programming language you can write a prog to calc it for you.

Google might yield downloadable ones.
Unread 30 Apr 2003, 22:15   #9
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
Is there a specific reason you're looking for 80mm fans? I ask only because you can probably get 120->80mm convertors (as you can 80->60mm for use on a heatsink), and the amount of noise produced by a 120 is, in the words of our Lord Jesus, **** all.

And you get to run em slower for the same throughput as an 80
Because it is for his case?
Unread 30 Apr 2003, 22:17   #10
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by Luckeh!!!!
Because it is for his case?
Doesn't matter, as I stated in that very post 'there's probably 120 -> 80mm convertors' as there are for heatsinks.

'Standard screw placement' what what.
Unread 30 Apr 2003, 22:20   #11
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Quote:
Originally posted by me
I am limited to purchasing 80mm fans, as I don't want to bother with enlarging the existing holes.
Quote:
Is there a specific reason you're looking for 80mm fans?

Although, were I said "don't want to bother" read: can't be arsed
Unread 30 Apr 2003, 22:23   #12
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

http://www.pc-look.com/boutik/produc...69&language=en is what I'm on about.

No enlargement. You screw the 80mm side into your case as normal, you screw your quieter 120mm fan into the other side, profit.

'etc'
Unread 30 Apr 2003, 22:32   #13
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Quote:
http://www.pc-look.com/boutik/produc...69&language=en is what I'm on about.

No enlargement. You screw the 80mm side into your case as normal, you screw your quieter 120mm fan into the other side, profit.

'etc'
Now that is what I call tremendously helpful stuff.

Cheers mate.

Now I just need some money.
Unread 30 Apr 2003, 22:39   #14
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

I don't know where you can get those adaptors in the UK tbh, I'm looking about though.

Not that I can use 'em, but still useful.

Edit:
http://www.thecoolingshop.co.uk/tcs/...?idCategory=36
Unread 30 Apr 2003, 22:45   #15
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

two palces I know of

http://www.thecoolingshop.co.uk/tcs/...?idproduct=127

free del with orders costing £5 (without VAT) or more

or

http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/...=16629&cat=246

same model, cheaper, but you have to pay delivery I think, you have to check it yourself.
Unread 30 Apr 2003, 23:29   #16
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Er, Papst the fan at the top of the previously mentioned OCUK page is 12dba (ie. inaudible).

Unread 30 Apr 2003, 23:39   #17
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

he's talking about the 3rd one down I believe, in any case, I didn't realise they were so bloody expensive for one fan, I mean £17?!!!?!? you must be nuts to buy FIVE of them!!!

YSTech are great fans and MUCH cheaper, with the left over money you could even EASILY buy a rheobus for them.

I personally have 3 YSTech fans

YS-TECH FD8125 80mm Fan - 3 Pin (FG-001-YS)
YS-TECH FD1238 120mm Fan - 4 Pin (FG-004-YS)

and a 92mm not listed there.

I got them from OCS

I can personally say there are very good quality fans, I use them all with a Vantec Nexus Rheobus along with a Thermaltake Smart Fan II and Mechtronics fan (list in OCS)
Unread 30 Apr 2003, 23:53   #18
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
The reason Papst are so expensive is that they ARE incredibly quiet for what they do and they don't wear out after 6 months.

Unread 1 May 2003, 04:02   #19
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
buy thermaltake

ORANGE CASE FAN, P/N: A1420
Started Voltage: 5VDC,
Rated Voltage:12VDC Fan Speed: 2050 rpm
Noise: 21dBA, Max Air Flow: 32CFM

Cooling
System 80x80x25mm Silent Fan, 21dB
-Front x2
-Rear x2
-Side Panel x 1
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 May 2003, 17:46   #20
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Just so you lads know, I've bought 5 ys-tech 80mm 20 dBa fans, from overclockers.

That should be quiet enough.

Thanks for the advice lads.
Unread 1 May 2003, 20:24   #21
Vanilla

Vanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura about
Get a baybus belgy.

Guy at overclockers makes them (his name was 'overclocker' funnily enough), costs aroud 25 quid.

I have the same case as you, the tornado and i had one, works a charm. Each fan has off, half-speed and full speed.

In fact my tornado is sitting at home right now with the baybusin it. Bestpurchase i ever made noise wise.

Why spend 80 quid on 6 papst fans when you can ge a cool blu LED baybus

edit: you fag.
Unread 1 May 2003, 20:33   #22
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by Vanilla
edit: you fag.
No love?
Unread 1 May 2003, 22:00   #23
Vanilla

Vanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
No love?
No love

I read the top 10 posts and then posted my reply. Then I looked up and he'd already purchased fans
Unread 1 May 2003, 22:31   #24
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Quote:
Then I looked up and he'd already purchased fans
yes but - they put out 20 dBa, which shouldn't total more than 25 - 30 dBa when you take into account all five fans. so that's a lot quieter than the fans that are currently in my case.

I figured if I was going to spend loads of money on some expensive papst fans then I might as well buy a brand new coolermaster aluminium case with a pre-modded see through side, with nice silent cooling fans etc etc

The fans I bought have cost me £32 including delivery. I shall report back on the noise reducing effect of the new fans.
Unread 2 May 2003, 19:29   #25
Vanilla

Cool, which fans do you have in the atm? the sunon 80mm's?
Unread 6 May 2003, 19:33   #26
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Quote:
Cool, which fans do you have in the atm? the sunon 80mm's?
They were actually YS-Tech fans that were already in there.

^Note use of past tense

I swapped out the fans today for the new YS-Tech fans that I bought off overclockers. Yesterday the noise as I was sat here was 68 dBa (my phone has a sound meter in it), now as I'm sat here today with the new fans in, the noise level is a much quieter 50 dBa. So quiet in fact I've heard my hard drives for the first time in years.

Now I just need to quiet down the rest of the case, this will probably involve getting a new cpu fan.
Unread 6 May 2003, 19:52   #27
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

I'll be the first person to tell you that your phone's sound meter is broken or misconfigured
Unread 6 May 2003, 21:20   #28
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Consider neopreme matting or some other sound-proofing for the innards of your case, remount all your drives with rubber grommets between the screw head and case, make sure there's a clear airflow because disturbance in the air in your ccase will cause noise, 'etc'
Unread 6 May 2003, 22:00   #29
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
OCUK = **** CUSTOMER SERVICE mkay?