User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 26 Apr 2003, 13:49   #1
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
dvd burning?

ok, i want to waste some money and plan to buy such a dvd-writer.
that guy in my local computer shop recommended the NEC 1100 a, any comments on that one? i searched for some tests on the net but didnt find anything usefull (i.e. in one test the writer i want to buy was the best, in another it wasnt even in the top20 :/)
another thing is that the guy in the shop said that wirter supports both standards ( + and -) but on most sides on the net it only supported that + -format, does anyone have information about that?
Unread 26 Apr 2003, 23:30   #2
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
I only know a little.

the DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW are two different competing standards, not sure which companies support which but it is not guaranteed that a +R/RW DVD will work in a DVD-R/RW drive.

So the person who said it supports both isn't really telling the truth.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Apr 2003, 23:34   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
It is possible to support both I think, although I had it in my mind somewhere that there's actually 3?

However, if your drive is made by one of the companies that defined one of the formats, don't expect it to support the other.

Unread 27 Apr 2003, 01:30   #4
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
after what i read in another forum the 1100a supports on the + format, but the 1300a (which isnt out yet) will support both.
oh, and the sony DRU500 definitly supports both formats, but its too expensive for my personal taste (450€ here :/)

but thanks anyway. i think ill just take the 1100a and hope it will support the right format for the future
Unread 27 Apr 2003, 01:48   #5
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Heres the skinny:

DVD-R/DVD-RW
  • The 'official' standard.
  • First standard, first commercial burners supported this standard
  • Example - Pioneer DVR-A03 - DVR-A05
  • Not gaurenteed to work in set top (VCR style) DVD players
  • Not gaurenteed to work in PC DVD-ROM drives (but DVD-R will work in the majority of cases). Not sure on wether the disc must be finalised.

DVD+R/DVD+RW
  • Newer standard, claims to support more set top boxes
  • IIRC faster to finalise a +RW compared to a -RW
  • Example - Phillips DVD burners are all +R/+RW
  • Not gaurenteed to work in set top (VCR style) DVD players
  • Not gaurenteed to work in PC DVD-ROM drives (but DVD-R will work in the majority of cases). Not sure on wether the disc must be finalised.
  • Not recognised by the DVD Forum as DVDs, so dont carry DVD logo

DVD-RAM
  • THE format for archiving and storing data / backups
  • Not readable by any set tops boxes
  • Not readable by any DVD-ROM drives
  • Not readable by DVD+RW drives
  • 9.4 GB per disk
  • Much longer shelf life than either other two
  • Much more expensive per disk

Generally, DVD-R/RW drives can also be DVD-RAM drives, but DVD+RW cannot.
Compatibility with other players/hardware is not jsut a function of the DVD format, but also of the disk used. 4x burners generally will not burn at 4x except with very specific disks, and finding the right disks is troublesome.

The only multiformat I am aware of (two in fact) are the Sony drives DRU500AX and its older brother (DRU500A off the top of my head). The DRU500AX supports 4x DVD-+R (yes, both formats), but no mutliformat devices will support DVD-RAM.

If its for movies you want it for (especially as divx -> svcd is very poor) I would recommend the Sony, and try many many different disk brands and types until you find one that works well on your hardware.

In fact, unless you need DVD-RAM, get the Sony. It reatails for around £235 inc taxes (£200+VAT). You can pick up a piece of crud 2x DVD-R for around £130+VAT if you look carefully, but I'd be very surprised if you got a usable movie out of it. Also check the software bundle that you get with it, decent software can be expensive

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2003, 08:13   #6
wu_trax

ill wait for tomorrow and see what the guy in the shop tells me when he realizes that the drive he tries to sell me does not support both formats. i mean, he promised me a drive that supports both formats for €234 ...
and yes, i wanted to use it for movies, because having 3-4 cds per movie is somewhat annoying :/
Unread 27 Apr 2003, 10:20   #7
Caesar2
Commander

Caesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really nice
this site claims that the 1100a also supports +

You were just "bashed", live with it.
Caesar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2003, 10:28   #8
wu_trax

they will probably know best what their own products can and cant do
thanks. i could have come up with the brilliant idea to check the companies website myself