User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 23 Mar 2014, 21:19   #1
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Can someone explain to me...

...how you're meant to wire lighting sockets?

So, I understand the two main ideas of wiring power circuits - spurs (where you have a wire from the fuse box to the first socket, then first to second, then second to third, third to fourth, etc, then say it stops at some point) and ring circuits (the same as spurs but when you connect the final power point back to the fuse box).

this consists of using 3 wires (red, back and green/yellow, or brown, blue and green, which mean +,- and earth) and it's a fairly simple chain.

However, for lighting circuits, I don't understand. There's a power wire, and a lighting wire for the switch (which has 4 wires in it). I understand this.

The light switch and the light (or lights) have to all have power. I understand this. However, I don't understand what the lighting cable is for. It connects between the lighting switch and the light? what if you have multiple lights and multiple switches? is that from both switches to both lights (separately?)

when I googled on this last I couldn't find much conclusive
Unread 24 Mar 2014, 17:50   #2
Santa

Santa is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Can someone explain to me...

You should have a live and live coming up from the switch... on your main lighting ring, you should have 2 or (3) connection blocks for you Live, neutral and earth. You then need an extra one for your switching live (which basically makes it 2 full block connectors, 2 holes in each). A switch in essence is 2 lives. So the live from your switch goes to your switching live connector and the other one to the live on your lighting ring. The live from your light socket goes to the switching live, and then neutral goes to the neutral on your lighting ring. That is a single switched light then.

I hope you are not trying to do 2 ways or 3 ways, because then you will get even more confused haha

Last edited by Santa; 24 Mar 2014 at 17:58.
Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2014, 18:59   #3
sword

sword is infamous around these partssword is infamous around these partssword is infamous around these parts
Re: Can someone explain to me...

Grab all the wires, twist them into a knot and plug that shit in.
sword is offline   Reply With Quote