User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 30 Dec 2002, 06:29   #1
RIT

Ups

Im getting a UPS =)
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 11:52   #2
Slidey

Slidey is an unknown quantity at this point
you're so cool

#impulsed - home of genius..?
Slidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 11:52   #3
Slidey

you're so cool

all the girls want to be with you and all the boys want to be like you !

Unread 30 Dec 2002, 15:39   #4
RIT

Quote:
Originally posted by Slidey
you're so cool

all the girls want to be with you and all the boys want to be like you !
erm no, It just means my ****e electric aint going to be damaging my PC anymore =) I mean cmon if UPS could pull women everyone would have one...
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 15:54   #5
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
lol
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 17:34   #6
TIR

Quote:
Originally posted by BesigedB
lol
Its going to arive soon

/me is like a kid on christmas morning
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 19:05   #7
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by RIT
erm no, It just means my ****e electric aint going to be damaging my PC anymore =) I mean cmon if UPS could pull women everyone would have one...
The sensible ones amongst us buy a bloody surge protector.

Unless your power cuts off regularly, that is.

Unread 30 Dec 2002, 19:38   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac

I think mine is fecked...
Every time my mom turns off the light on the attic (one single TL light) I can hear a "tick" in my sound system, which is behind the surge protecor and behind a power adapter.
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 19:50   #9
TIR

Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac

My power keeps going off cos I have ****e electrics in my house, considering were gonna be re-building it soon it aint worth re-doing the electrics so a UPS seemed a good idea
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 19:56   #10
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
I think mine is fecked...
Every time my mom turns off the light on the attic (one single TL light) I can hear a "tick" in my sound system, which is behind the surge protecor and behind a power adapter.
Thats just normal electrical interferance mate
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 20:00   #11
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Thats just normal electrical interferance mate
It is?
What exactly is electrical interference?
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 20:21   #12
BesigedB
Darling

Things like sparks etc cause interferance that sound systems pick up on. I dont know the technical term.
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 20:33   #13
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Things like sparks etc cause interferance that sound systems pick up on. I dont know the technical term.
Isn't a surge protector to pick up things like that: peak values in the electrical cirquit, and bring them down to acceptable levels?
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 23:45   #14
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
No - it doesn't cause any noticable current fluctuations. Its something radiated - probably causes a brief magnetic pulse or something that's picked up by the amp.
Surge protectors are there to guard against the kind of spikes caused by heavy drain appliances such as power showers, spikes due to electrical storms or powercuts, or just generally dodgy and unreliable electricity supplies.
When you turn off the power shower in our house, every light in the house glows brighter for about half a second or so - just the effect of the drain suddenly being cut off.

Unread 31 Dec 2002, 00:32   #15
BesigedB
Darling

Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
Isn't a surge protector to pick up things like that: peak values in the electrical cirquit, and bring them down to acceptable levels?
As megla said, its radio interferance - not down the wires. Sorry if i see, unclear

edit: non-power showers > power showers
Unread 31 Dec 2002, 01:18   #16
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
usp is cool, but I prefer deagle.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2002, 02:24   #17
Slidey

Quote:
Originally posted by MT
usp is cool, but I prefer deagle.
dont they deliver parcels ?

Unread 31 Dec 2002, 12:26   #18
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
As megla said, its radio interferance - not down the wires. Sorry if i see, unclear

edit: non-power showers > power showers
Ah... I see.
\/