User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 27 Dec 2002, 21:58   #1
SnaarffiE

SnaarffiE is an unknown quantity at this point
network

hello again. now that iv fixed my pc i would like sum help with my home network. i have no idea wot to do :P. i have a hub and 3 cables (1 for each pc one o the cables is a crossover one that plugs i9nto the uplink port on the hub. now i have installed my network card and tcp/ip protacol and file and printer sharin. but when i click on the network nebourhood icon i can only see entire network. if u click on that i get an error bout unable to access network. n e ideas on wots wrong?
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 22:41   #2
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: network

Quote:
Originally posted by SnaarffiE
n e ideas on wots wrong?
Apart from your spelling?

The lack of details about what OS each computer is using, the physical setup of the computers, and details of how you have configured the networking components would be a good start i think..

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 22:45   #3
SnaarffiE

SnaarffiE is an unknown quantity at this point
the 2 comps have windows 98 se. one is a fresh install of win 98 with tyipical stuff and then there is mine ( full o crap :P) i have installed the net cards on each with tcp/ip protocals and set the speed of the network cards to 10 base T cos o the hub. need any more info?
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 23:46   #4
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
why do you have a crossover cable in a network with 3 computers? you should just hav 3 normal cables going into your three normal ports and thats it! the uplink port is for connecting hubs, not anything to do with your setup.

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 23:52   #5
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Code:

PC1       PC2             PC3
|               |                 |
---------------hub-------------

thats how you have the connected presumably. each pc plugs into the hub.

on each pc if you dont know how to do it manually run the "set up a home or small office network".

if you dont have this (not sure with 98) do the following

right click network neighbourhood and on the far right tab you should see "identification". make sure that EVERY computer is in the same Workgroup and thta they all have different names.

REstart them all and see if they can see eachother.

IF this still doesnt work you may need to setup a network login. (i had to do this with mine because it refused to work any other way).

install the "client for microsoft networks" (if it isnt already installed and btw it should be if you want to see other pcs) and make sure that this is your login type. when you restart you should recieve a box asking for your username and password. dont type in a password and just hit enter.
do this with each pc and it should fix the problem

its been awhile since ive played with win98 but afaik thats how i did it when i had to setup a network at home before.
for some reason windows didnt like seeing other pcs if you hadnt 'logged onto' the network.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 23:55   #6
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
btw i suggest you do it with 2 of the pcs first before buggering about with the 3rd.

also if it doesnt work then dont blame me. you may want to wait for megla or mt to reply as well to double check..
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 23:57   #7
JammyJim
Godfather

http://support.microsoft.com/default...p/network1.asp

if your a complete muppet use above link.

if youve managed to install the cards follow this one :

http://support.microsoft.com/default...p/network6.asp
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 01:06   #8
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
Usually I first make sure the network is ok and the IP configuration is set up so the PCs are on the same network.
Naturally a DCHP server makes it easier - if "winipcfg" (cmd window "ipconfig -all" for NT) reports an IP address that matches what the DHCP server licenses out...
Without a DHCP server - set up the IP address on each PC, eg
PC1 - 192.168.1.101
PC2 - 192.168.1.102
PC3 - 192.168.1.103
And a netmask of 255.255.255.0
Bring them all up - if you can ping the other two from one of them, the network is ok.

Then you need to fiddle with the network properties.
I gather others have covered this already.
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote