User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 19 Dec 2002, 00:48   #1
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Monitor power consumption

After a fairly colourful arguement with my father ("where the **** did that come from?" etc), I'm trying to find out if what he said his true, and to what degree.

I've just replaced my dodgy, flickery old 14" monitor with a 19" one, and he is now bitching about burning loads of power and wasting money. Is there really a massive increase in power usage between 19" and smaller monitors, say 14-17"? I know they will use more, but I wanted to know if he was exagerrating as usual to get me off the PC ("computers should only be used for work, video games are sad" etc etc).

*sigh*
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 01:10   #2
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Well I'd say 140W is pretty near the top end for a 19" CRT, say 7p/kWh for electricity so we get...

.14*7=0.98 pence/hour to run it. Leaving it on all year would cost £3.58 so he's talking cobblers
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 01:18   #3
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
A modern 19" CRT should use between 60W and 100W.
Like a bright (conventional) lightbulb.
An old 14" CRT could easily use that, or more.

The temperature at the top/back of the casing is usually a good indicator - if the new one is cooler, it is probably using less power.
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 01:28   #4
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
.14*7=0.98 pence/hour to run it. Leaving it on all year would cost £3.58 so he's talking cobblers
Should that not be 24 times that? (seeing as there are 24 hours in a day).
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 02:33   #5
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Point out to him that the power he uses watching TV far exceedes the power your monitor uses.

If he still argues, get him to buy you a nice energy efficient plasma monitor.

Unread 19 Dec 2002, 02:42   #6
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
Point out to him that the power he uses watching TV far exceedes the power your monitor uses.

If he still argues, get him to buy you a nice energy efficient plasma monitor.
He has 2 annoying traits when it comes to these situations:
1. He's been an electrical engineer for like 25 years, knows loads about electrical stuff.
2. He's a stubborn twat.

This adds up to 'Jolt Mod Syndrome', or 'I am always right' : (

(tho it would scare him if i showed him gayles calculations and proved them right myself .o/ )
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 02:53   #7
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by xtothez

(tho it would scare him if i showed him gayles calculations and proved them right myself .o/ )
It would also scare most maths teachers

.14*.07*24*365 = 85.848

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 03:38   #8
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by MT
It would also scare most maths teachers

.14*.07*24*365 = 85.848
I was tired

Either way, it's still a drop in the ocean
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 14:43   #9
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Another way of putting it:
Cooking a microwave meal (generally takes 12 mins or so @ 700W) costs 1 and a fith times more money than running your monitor for an hour.