User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 2 Sep 2002, 20:38   #51
thaisi

So you are still wondering why such thing like HTML exists and isn't a binairy format ?

I mean HTML is going to extinct and will be taken over bij XHTML. That is a form of HTML but in XML format and extendible with all sort of other XML languages (XForm, XMath, XFrames) If the parser of the document cant process XForm, it will know exactly what parts it can parse and also is there 1 XML parser needed to read the entire document and check it for syntax errors. With a binairy format you need all sorts of formats going through eachother and all formats need to be understanded before being able to process the entire file and the unknown parts.
Unread 19 Nov 2002, 23:39   #52
wu_trax

im still wondering... why is everyone using php and noone java?
what the hell did i learn this java-stuff for :/
is php easier?
Unread 20 Nov 2002, 01:13   #53
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by wu_trax
im still wondering... why is everyone using php and noone java?
what the hell did i learn this java-stuff for :/
is php easier?
PHP is a lot easier to 'pick up and use' in my opinion. Also, the fact that it has very simple "straight out the box" mySQL interaction, rather than having to play around with JDBC drivers and all that, probably also plays a factor. People also say that its 'quicker/easier' to use PHP for simple web applications, but I dont really see why - you can make JSPs that are every bit as messy as PHP quite easily, in the same timeframe.

Also its open source, so all the hippies are going to like it.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2002, 01:19   #54
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
It's very similar to C so I love it (PHP that is). Despite having only started with it a week ago I have the mysql bit sorted (ish lol) and with it's automagic variables I can just throw things around and add the odd intval() in to do some lovely things with 2/3D arrays that would take me weeks to learn in Java.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2002, 01:41   #55
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Java costs more. Any fool can setup apache and php (q.v. QNPS) but a decent java application server, like Tomcat, or Tomcat/JBoss or any of the myriad other EJB containers takes decent hardware and decent technical knowledge and isnt in that great demand. Hence its a lot of effort to set up, for little return, so no-one offers it as a hosting option. Because of that, no-one develops for it by themselves, most projects tend to be run by large companies who tend to use more than one server themselves anyway....

the point that I was trying to make is that very few resellers offer it, and when they do, its bloody expensive, because they have to make their money out of the few people that will want it. PHP resellers have a huge market to aim at, so their prices can be lower.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2002, 01:41   #56
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
We have an e-business (read as e-commerce) module on my course.
What do they teach us? ASP for christsake.
Why teach a proprietry standard when they could tech wubleh php which has good support on loads of platforms?
On top of that, the lecturer was trying to say that ASP is directly comparable with 'standard' CGI scripts which imo is somewhat misleading. I'm not going to list the many ways the two methods differ, but if this is the level of simplification they go at things on this module I'm not overly impressed.

Oh well.

Unread 20 Nov 2002, 01:55   #57
wu_trax

i guess i should finally start learning php then and see for myself
although this db-thing can hardly be any easier, i wrote some kind of 'connection-pool' once (wrote is said too much, i copied about 80% out of a book) and can now use it on every database id like to with only very little changes
Unread 20 Nov 2002, 02:05   #58
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Java is **** for serverside stuff. Oh, it's **** for frontend stuff too, but there you have less alternative; few browsers support perl or php, not to mention the problem of sandboxing them...
Unread 20 Nov 2002, 02:07   #59
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
???

I didn't think ANY browser had support for PHP. It's purely a preprocessor for the server isn't it?
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2002, 02:51   #60
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
???

I didn't think ANY browser had support for PHP. It's purely a preprocessor for the server isn't it?
No, not purely.