User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 5 Jan 2003, 14:23   #1
Stals
Retired

Stals is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Why make round 9 p2p ?

From what I have heard from Zeus the last weeks planetarion is aiming for a round 10 with lots of new things, they wanna make that round the best ever, cause they have much more time to invent new things for the game since the new owners wanna make it to a game for the future and have invested money, etc.

The problem is however there won't be any players left to play that round. Making round 9 p2p is probably the biggest misstake being done when trying to rebuild the player count and repultation of the game.

Since round 9 also is a replay of round 8 (almost), lots of the people that played round 8 and never got to finish it probably ain't too inspired to keep on playing the game if they have to pay for it again.

If they do round 9 for free, I'm sure alot of the old players that quit when it became p2p would come back, and also alot more new players will start play, and maybe learn the game and start to like it, or ever become addicted like myself so they keep on playing round 10, which would been smarter to make p2p. Its not gonna happen that the game will get more players this round then last, since people that not played before won’t spend money on a game they don’t know. Would any of you reading this start playing this game if you had to pay for it before you knew how the game worked ?

The answer I probably will get when I say to rather make it free that p2p is that with free there will be farming and multi's all over the game. But since pa crew will have more time for the game than earlier, they should also be able to catch the cheaters quicker and more efficent too...

Another option would also to make it like round 7, where we payed for private galaxies, and free random, but had to pay to get over the 3M score limit.

Its not that I’m not willing to pay to for playing the game, but I love this game and I don’t wanna see it die. We need more players else the game will die
R5 Legion member
R6 Legion BC
R7 Legion BC
WC2 TiG's Terriffic Tribe (winner galaxy!)
R8 Plush member
R9 ToT/LCH BC
R9.5 LDK Scanner
R10 Ðragons BC
R10.5 Didn't play
R11 1uP (winner galaxy!)
R12 1uP MO (winner galaxy!)
R13 Not playing
Stals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 20:07   #2
xular

Re: Why make round 9 p2p ?

Thankx for your nicely written post DaRk_anthraX!! That is exactly how I feel. I played PA round 3 and 4, then stopped but gave it another try in round 7 (starting as a free account and then paying to get over the 3 Mil limit). As that was nice I decided to stay and pay in round 8 too.
I was quite sorry that r8 (the first in which I payed from the beginning) was stopped so abruptly, but decided to give PA one more chance and would have given in another try were r9 for free. (PA lost its trustworthyness after that r8 incident and I felt that a free r9 round would have been the only way for it to regain that lost trust). As now the info came out that it's not, I am off (and surely won't return for round10).
This is the most prominent point, another is that in r8 the Universe was already too small for my liking and I don't think that it will grow any bigger and there is no fun playing in a small one.

So good luck for all those who will play r9 and I am keeping my thumbs crossed that you will still have a few players left to play that promised-to-be-awsome-r10.

Regards,
Xular

As a side note: I think its a good idea that r9 players will get an additional enscentitive (those promised speed game rounds). I am not sure though that that will help very much: As not too many ppl play those speedgames anyway (I for one never played and will never play those -- to stressy for my liking).
Anyway I don't have any trust left for ppl who don't even check for how long they will be able to keep their servers - on which their business runs - before they promise their customers any dates.
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 20:33   #3
Shev
So what?

Shev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to behold
Sigh.

Some people are just incapable of reading and understanding.

[RaH] [Mercenaries]
Shev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 20:46   #4
Christian
Attitude

Christian is infamous around these parts
It cannot be done. Sod off.
Todd: Truth is like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold. You push it, stretch it, it'll never be enough. Kick at it, beat it, it'll never cover any of us. From the moment we enter crying, to the moment we leave dying, it'll just cover your face as you wail and cry and scream.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 21:25   #5
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by DaRk_anthraX
The answer I probably will get when I say to rather make it free that p2p is that with free there will be farming and multi's all over the game.
The answer you'll get is the same answer everyone's been given for weeks and the same answer Zeus gave in CH. The creators want SOME new blood for R9 (they apparently have something in the pipeline for this) but in general they don't want potential new players to see the game in the state it's in. They want them to see the new shiny R10 not the battered R8 rerun. R9 is not, never has been, and never will be about getting new players or rebuilding the playerbase of old players. It's main aim is to keep us amused while we wait for R10.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 02:03   #6
Evil Smurf

Evil Smurf is an unknown quantity at this point
Perverbally throwing us a bone.
Evil Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 02:09   #7
[Cymru]
Lord of the Sheep

[Cymru] is an unknown quantity at this point
Questions to Mr. dark_anthrax:

WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO RUN A BUSINESS AT A LOSS?

would you be willing to give away money for other peoples pleasure?

Thought not. If you havent heard about the outisde world yet, EVERYTHING has a monetary value therefore the money to run severs and staff to maintain them must come from somewhere, i.e. the people actually playing the game!!!
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 02:48   #8
Storebo
Adelante

Storebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by [Cymru]
Questions to Mr. dark_anthrax:

WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO RUN A BUSINESS AT A LOSS?

would you be willing to give away money for other peoples pleasure?
Dunno how much money they make from 1-2k players.
Will be a boring round. Every round less and less planets... It is a sad sight.
R4 170:17:3 [Elysium ]
R5 12:10:18 [Elysium ]
R6 25:10:3 [Elysium ]
R7 31:20:2 [Elysium ] / [Adelante ]
R8 45:2:7 [Adelante ] / [Fury ]
R9 13:7:9 [NoS ] / [Lch ]
R9.5 and R10 dunno where [Elysium ]
R11 21:1:6 [1up]
[1up]
Storebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 03:19   #9
Evil Smurf

Evil Smurf is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, the biggest question is would losing the value of one round be worth the money you'd make from attracting people to round 10...

The free sample of cinnamon bun outside the cinnamon bun store usually makes me go in and get one...well worth the value if you ask me :P

And yes, comparing it to a place that sells cinnamon buns isn't perfect, but it makes my point. I plan not to play round 9..if it was free, then i definately would, and i'd be a lot more likely to play round 10.
Evil Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 03:29   #10
aza1

aza1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Round 9 is simply a filler till round 10 will be released it seems.

Though I guess the new owners don't really care about loosing a few players tbh because their betting (probably accurately imho) that your future revenues would not be greater (or even close?) tto the amount they will reap from charging the core players who will play round 9 regardless.

Its purely a business decision.
aza1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 03:47   #11
Domin
500k posts

Domin is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by aza1
Round 9 is simply a filler till round 10 will be released it seems.

Though I guess the new owners don't really care about loosing a few players tbh because their betting (probably accurately imho) that your future revenues would not be greater (or even close?) tto the amount they will reap from charging the core players who will play round 9 regardless.

Its purely a business decision.
So u think the "core" players will pay £20 instead of £10 for round 9?

Even if they lose half theyr players?

The rounds are getting shorter and it's getting more expensive.

round 2: 54:24:17 FA
round 3: 45:17:20 nos
round 4: 64:18:10 nos
round 5: 32:6:6 nos
round 6: 11:11:7 nos
round 7: 29:23:3 nos
round 8: 22:7:1 nos plush
round 9: 6:6:8 oly
round 13: Dont have roids so dont bother asking
Domin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 07:37   #12
aza1

aza1 is an unknown quantity at this point
i was working on the assumption the price would be the same; but heh i could be very well wrong.
aza1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 07:49   #13
Stals
Retired

To all those that say they can't run a free round:
What did the old pa crew do before they made the game p2p ?
Why can't these new people to the same, just to get more people back to play this game ?
R5 Legion member
R6 Legion BC
R7 Legion BC
R8 Plush member
R9 ToT/LCH BC
R9.5 LDK Scanner
R10 Ðragons BC
R10.5 Didn't play
R11 1uP (winner galaxy!)
R13 Not playing
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 07:57   #14
Merlin
Wizard

Merlin is on a distinguished road
I'll be paying for round 9, just like I paid for the others(and gave away free accounts to people I didn't know). You cheap sickening lot of whiners can sod off now. Pay or go get stuffed. YOU ARE the reason PA got where it is. The sooner you take your whining to another game the better for all concerned.

Get the point? Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

Unread 6 Jan 2003, 09:20   #15
Shev
So what?

Shev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
To all those that say they can't run a free round:
What did the old pa crew do before they made the game p2p ?
Why can't these new people to the same, just to get more people back to play this game ?
Er.
Relied on banner adverts possibly.

Which, in case you aren't up to date with internet economics, no longer make even a fraction of the revenue they did previously.

It isn't financially viable to make r9 free, especially when - as stated numerous times now - they don't want to bring in new players this round. Thats for r10, when they feel they have a game worth the mass marketing.

[RaH] [Mercenaries]
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 09:21   #16
Stals
Retired

I have also payed for all the rounds that have been around now, but making this comming round p2p will be the reason why the game will go under as most people will leave the game. And there will not come anyone to replace the ones quitting.
I only write this cause its my opinion that its gonna kill the game.
So if its people like me (that have played AND payed since round 2) that is ruining the game...well who on earth isn't ?
R5 Legion member
R6 Legion BC
R7 Legion BC
R8 Plush member
R9 ToT/LCH BC
R9.5 LDK Scanner
R10 Ðragons BC
R10.5 Didn't play
R11 1uP (winner galaxy!)
R13 Not playing
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 09:30   #17
DonErazer

There are many arguments for each side of the p2p debate.

I myself don't mind paying to play this game, it being one thing that most (not all) would agree on, a great game.

You might say that by running a free round you get a lot of multi's and cheaters etc. But that is what happens. It also was a rather large element to the PA universe that made this game what it is, back in round 2, 3 and 4. There were so many planets and galaxies to attack and to choose from that 'everyone' was given a chance so to speak.

Now, if you don't set your alarm and miss some research and construcution, and fall behind the main front. You run the risk of being roided and attacked for most of the game.

It just seems to be the loyal players who are sticking around and paying.

I know there are talks of when we pay that we will get credits for speed games maybe a discount on rnd 10. Maybe pay for round 9 and have round 10 free, or at a low price.

Another thing was that a lot of Planetarion's players that have left were from the younger age group, where they don't have access to things such as credit cards and other forms of online payment.

The good old days

Cheers
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 09:33   #18
Shev
So what?

Quote:
I have also payed for all the rounds that have been around now, but making this comming round p2p will be the reason why the game will go under as most people will leave the game. And there will not come anyone to replace the ones quitting.
I only write this cause its my opinion that its gonna kill the game.
So if its people like me (that have played AND payed since round 2) that is ruining the game...well who on earth isn't ?
My view is that while it may kill the game as far as we are concerned, Jolt have a new and different playerbase in mind really. Where it's coming from i don't know, but thats the impression i get.

[RaH] [Mercenaries]
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 10:08   #19
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Evil Smurf
Yeah, the biggest question is would losing the value of one round be worth the money you'd make from attracting people to round 10...

The free sample of cinnamon bun outside the cinnamon bun store usually makes me go in and get one...well worth the value if you ask me :P

And yes, comparing it to a place that sells cinnamon buns isn't perfect, but it makes my point. I plan not to play round 9..if it was free, then i definately would, and i'd be a lot more likely to play round 10.
I disagree.
You would not start handing out cinnamon bun samples if you knew from experience that the vagrants in the area gather around in minutes and grab all the samples with no intention of buying any buns, now or later.

The cost of a free round is likely to be, at a rough guess, somewhere around $20k, just for bandwidth and lease of or depreciation on hardware. Maybe someone could go and find a sponsor willing to pay that kind of money for the right to annoy the same 50k people with banners for 3 months in a row.
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 10:13   #20
Lerxst
baka.

Lerxst is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by merlin1955
I'll be paying for round 9, just like I paid for the others(and gave away free accounts to people I didn't know). You cheap sickening lot of whiners can sod off now.
Ta Mista Knowitall....
The problem for a lot of players (including me) is not the cost. Ofc I would pay ten bucks for a game which is fun to me. Absolutely out of discussion. But history clearly showed us that p2p lessens the amount of players in the game from round to round. And it has reached a level where there are too less players in it to keep this game "fun" for most of us. Simple.

For some it's still fun and they shall play it if they like it. But you really can't blame ppl for quitting a game that's no more fun to them...

One more problem is all this talk about R10. R9 will be just a cheap shot for the providers - that's clear and was so since PA was sold. But all this great promises, all this "will be a totally new and exciting game" talk we hear since R3... and what happened? Take a guess...
Can't believe it until *facts* are shown. And once again I can't be blamed for it.
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 10:23   #21
starbreeze

starbreeze is an unknown quantity at this point
sniff*...

and what about those of us who do not have a credit card?...how are we supposed to pay
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 10:26   #22
lrytas
[LDK] Head

lrytas is an unknown quantity at this point
lol
Round 10 the best ? Yes, 1-2 players will make very interesting round
Round 9 should be free as half of players will leave this boredom in the middle of r9.
________
DC MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Last edited by lrytas; 26 Feb 2011 at 19:17.
lrytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 10:26   #23
Vexaz

Vexaz is an unknown quantity at this point
This game certainly deserves a new playerbase.... cause the ones we have now cant be arsed spending 10 $ on a game thats given em so much , hours of fun .

Stop whining and just go to hell , dont really think anyone cares about those who prefer spending money on a McDonalds menu instead of playing a round of pa . the fact that the creators has taken so much **** from the playing community , is incredible .
R19 - R27: Orbit

Retired?
Vexaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 10:38   #24
Lerxst
baka.

Quote:
Originally posted by lrytas
lol
Round 10 the best ? Yes, 1-2 players will make very interesting round
Round 9 should be free as half of players will leave this boredom in the middle of r9.
...the other half won't even bother to sign up
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 10:41   #25
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of
Long gone is the time when you could create a game and pay for its hosting and other stuff with banner ads, its a shame, but must we dwell on the past ?

Have a look at the free games out there...with the eastern block cheating their way through some, and the awfull servers and in some cases game play, then come back and think about Planetarion, wether its worth the money .... Damn right it is..

I admit that some of the younger players are not there any more because of the payment problems, others who really want to play find ways round it, if they were that determined to play then they would have found a way, have u ever known a 14yrs + to give up on something they want because they hit a hurdle ?

The players that were lost over the p2p rounds cannot be attributed just to p2p, stagnation and powerblocking did their part in the damage too...

Planetarion has changed ... its no longer a free game that teenagers play (i dont mean that in a bad way), where you get a few old farts dotted about, the older contingent is the core now, with the younger in the lesser numbers...the older players realise that "nothing in life is free" its about time those who keep complaining about the fact they have to pay to have fun sit up and realise that too..... if you went say....bowling you wouldnt expect to play for free ... the same with Planetarion.

Planetarion is evolving, hopefully one day we will see it in the ranks of EQ and the like as mainstays of internet gaming.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 10:45   #26
Zword
more then you can ever be

Zword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these parts
bah bah bah bah bah no p2p don't want to free is much more fun. More noobs to bash but meh is noob to so I will be bashed
(20:55:52) (@w2k) if registrations are disabled how did spinner sign up :\
(20:56:29) (@w2k) spinner isnt cool anymore

(06:41:50) (Shai-gar) Add meaple to Your Ignore List
(06:42:00) (Ghosteh) why?
(06:42:24) (Shai-gar) i dislike the ****
(06:42:37) (Ghosteh) heh

/me likes meaple <3
Zword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 12:14   #27
Stals
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by starbreeze
sniff*...

and what about those of us who do not have a credit card?...how are we supposed to pay
just pm that merlin1955 guy, he say he give away free accounts to people he don't even know.... its worth a try
R5 Legion member
R6 Legion BC
R7 Legion BC
R8 Plush member
R9 ToT/LCH BC
R9.5 LDK Scanner
R10 Ðragons BC
R10.5 Didn't play
R11 1uP (winner galaxy!)
R13 Not playing
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 12:19   #28
Stals
Retired

Problem with the always decreasing player base is that the game gets boring cause you end up bashing or getting bashed by the same alliance and people all the time. I want new players to learn the game, last rounds random was kinda fun cause i teached a totally new guy that never played the game before to actually make top 250 on his first round.

So some free random planets in each of galaxies would be a superb idea! Do it like round 6 where we can open galaxies for randoms where they have to pay in order to get over 3M score, it rawked since people started to play the game cause they had nothing to loose, and some continued cause they found the game funny

Got more to write, but gotta go back to class..
R5 Legion member
R6 Legion BC
R7 Legion BC
R8 Plush member
R9 ToT/LCH BC
R9.5 LDK Scanner
R10 Ðragons BC
R10.5 Didn't play
R11 1uP (winner galaxy!)
R13 Not playing
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 18:12   #29
Yazilliclick

Face it the game is simply old now. The only thing that ever made the game really good was the community, they hurt that big time when they started the whole p2p crap and it's been downhill from there.

Regardless of whether it's possible to run this without p2p or not, the game will die if it keeps up. People can pay the same amount or less and get to play a much better community based game such as everquest, ultima online, star wars galaxies or other games. Heck they could even play many FPS or Strategy games for free online (of course there is the cost of the software but a few rounds is more expensive).

The people running PA obviously don't seem to be realistic about what they have here. What they have is a statistical game that directly puts players against other players in an attempt to win. That is not a good community based game for starters. First, it gets tiring fast because the only things that really change are the numbers. Second, the community is all but dead, they did very little to nothing to keep the dedicated community based players around.

Also, in regards to the cost of running this free at the moment, it would be very minor compared to earlier. Earlier there were many MANY more players, now there is a much smaller amount. They likely have an abundance of hardware, too much for their needs.

Face it, PA is dying and won't be arround for much longer unless owners wake up to reality and do what needs doing, instead of pretending.
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 18:14   #30
Yazilliclick

Face it the game is simply old now. The only thing that ever made the game really good was the community, they hurt that big time when they started the whole p2p crap and it's been downhill from there.

Regardless of whether it's possible to run this without p2p or not, the game will die if it keeps up. People can pay the same amount or less and get to play a much better community based game such as everquest, ultima online, star wars galaxies or other games. Heck they could even play many FPS or Strategy games for free online (of course there is the cost of the software but a few rounds is more expensive).

The people running PA obviously don't seem to be realistic about what they have here. What they have is a statistical game that directly puts players against other players in an attempt to win. That is not a good community based game for starters. First, it gets tiring fast because the only things that really change are the numbers. Second, the community is all but dead, they did very little to nothing to keep the dedicated community based players around.

Also, in regards to the cost of running this free at the moment, it would be very minor compared to earlier. Earlier there were many MANY more players, now there is a much smaller amount. They likely have an abundance of hardware, too much for their needs.

Face it, PA is dying and won't be arround for much longer unless owners wake up to reality and do what needs doing, instead of pretending.
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 18:16   #31
Merlin
Wizard

Quote:
just pm that merlin1955 guy, he say he give away free accounts to people he don't even know.... its worth a try

As a matter of fact I did all but the last round. And I paid with cash...you do know about that....through the US payment centre.
No credit cards involved.

Really your all just bitching, and so lame
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 18:23   #32
Yazilliclick

Quote:
As a matter of fact I did all but the last round. And I paid with cash...you do know about that....through the US payment centre.
No credit cards involved.

Really your all just bitching, and so lame
Should really start taking it seriously that so many people complain about it and leave each round instead of just flinging insults.

The only thing your paying for is the community and the server to host it on, the programing of the game is simplistic for statistical number cruncher games like this. The community is dead though, and their servers would be overkill by now.
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 20:01   #33
MelAn
Condenación

MelAn is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The problem is however there won't be any players left to play that round. Making round 9 p2p is probably the biggest misstake being done when trying to rebuild the player count and repultation of the game
/me nods
R4: 55:8:23 Selenia the Dark Angel of Urborg of Dominaria ( NoS)
R5: 24:12:5 MelAncholic Angel of Condemnation (NoS)
R6: 21:5:10 Cursed Visionary of True Faith (NoS)
R7: 9:19:9 Fragrance of Your Skin (NoS/Bunnies)
R8: 3:5:4 Cursed Hands of Devotion (Fury/Bunnies)
R9: 18:2:4 Infernal Memories of Humiliation (Eclipse/Bunnies)
--------------------
MelAncholic
...criticism is the root of all progress
MelAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 20:17   #34
Calibretto

If the game is for free over 100k pll would come to play it. In which way should the Creators finance this game. Its just not possible if the game is for free. Maybe lower prices but free all the time is impossible. Btter get ideas to attract more pll. If more pll would play the game it should be possible for PA-Crew to lower the prices.
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 20:20   #35
Calibretto

btw there was one other reason why PA became P2P. The Servers in r4 must have burned cuz so many played the game. Sometimes u had to wait years for pages to load. The P2P rounds in my opinion it got way better. (maybe just becuz way less pll played :P)
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 20:39   #36
jleedham

jleedham is on a distinguished road
hmm

Never quite got the argument agaisnt P2P simpley as i have never once heard a good argument for why the game should be free, in fact the only argument that is ever used is the " why SHOULD we pay for PA we never used to" ask these people to expand on there comment with obvious opposing question " why SHOULDNT we?" there never seems to be a goo argument.

The main reason as many people have said that PA ran for free in the begining was due to banner advertising which at the time was a reasonable way of making just enuf money to stay afloat, however due to

a. the lack of player support in this, i mean come on really how many of u clicked a banner everytime u logged into ure account eh?

and

b. the ever decreaing amount of revenue that could be producced by this method the free play option was no longer available.

The most tacky and weak argument that u ever hear is the classic, "i dont have a credit card i cant pay"

as other people have stated there are a mirriad ways out there that dont involve credit cards atall. and also with ure average 12yr old walking around with Solo cards or whatever they call the debit cards they can get then there really is no excuse, not to mention the obvious possibilty of Gal mates. alliance mates, friends, parents etc who do have other means of payment.

that followed by the i dont have that much money etc, ure average PS2 or Xbox game etc cost £40 which is at least four times the average price of a round if not more., and with ure average round being 3 months long that means for the same price u get a years worth of play! how many of ure games are u still playing a year after u bought it, they are few and far between. Also when u look at other P2P net games that are out there such as ultima and everquest and compare the prices then the price or a round is more than reasonable! u pay £8 a month for everquest thats three times as much as PA not to mention the fact that u have to spend £30 in the first place to buy the game!

And as for the all time classic P2P is killing this game, that quite franklty is a load of bull****, the only thing killing this game is the lack of support that this gamming community is willing to give back to the creators. after all these guys did create this game and give u the oppotunity to play for free for 4 rounds, during which they ran up large debts, didnt get paid and sufferd constant abuse from the likes of many of u mindlessly flaming on this thread.

and last of all as for the comment about is being a simple number cruncher game, and not that hard etc! tell that to the guys at eidos making ChampManager, probs one of the best selling PC titles ever! surely thats just number crunching to?

Jsar

Have You Growled At The Badger Recently?
jleedham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 20:44   #37
Lerxst
baka.

Quote:
Originally posted by Calibretto
Btter get ideas to attract more pll. If more pll would play the game it should be possible for PA-Crew to lower the prices.
...how can one attract ppl with a game that is played by 90% online-maniacs who have nothing else to do the whole day than attacking the rest of the universe and beat the living crap out of anyone who dares to sleep for more than 3 hours while being in a top-500 position...
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 22:38   #38
MelAn
Condenación

Quote:
Originally posted by Lerxst
...how can one attract ppl with a game that is played by 90% online-maniacs who have nothing else to do the whole day than attacking the rest of the universe and beat the living crap out of anyone who dares to sleep for more than 3 hours while being in a top-500 position...
I luve ya for that sentence!
Thats the prob...sometimes i think pa crew lost their neutral look at things and only want to create a game for maniacs..
--------------------
MelAncholic
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 23:44   #39
Veil05
NE

Veil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud of
idiots, there killing off the pa community and filling it with JOLT members, offering them a service at a fraction of the price.
Unread 7 Jan 2003, 00:42   #40
jleedham

jleedham is on a distinguished road
er surely

er surely filling it with members of any community, from JOLT or anywhere else is a good thing? u all complaining there not enuf members and then now complaining that there will be more members, weird!

as for the bashing people who get more than 3 hours sleep theory that nmot entirly tru, last two rounds i played have been in top 100 gals and fairly high individual placings and yet i slept at least 7 hours a nite, its all just about when ya sleep. at the end of the day with any game, sport job etc etc those with most dedication win. that im afraid cant be lain at the feet of the creators!

Jsar

Have You Growled At The Badger Recently?
jleedham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2003, 04:23   #41
randal
boring

randal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to all
It's quite sad that they quite throw away planetarion's future for a few k euros. I doubt that there will be more than 1k players anyway.
Quite telling how the numbers of ppl who read the important announcments are dropping, and other things.
As many, I won't play. I wouldn't mind paying 10 euros or something, but I do mind about the number of players, and this one will be ****.
randal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2003, 07:58   #42
Merlin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally posted by randal
It's quite sad that they quite throw away planetarion's future for a few k euros. I doubt that there will be more than 1k players anyway.
Quite telling how the numbers of ppl who read the important announcments are dropping, and other things.
As many, I won't play. I wouldn't mind paying 10 euros or something, but I do mind about the number of players, and this one will be ****.

Oh good another lame flamer with his 2 cents worth of crap.
Quit then. Stop posting your crap and get a life away from those of us who just want to play and see what developes. As I said its the likes of you that are the biggest problem with this game not the game itself.

Please do quit and don't post here. When your gone we can celebrate your leaving. Soon there wil be new players, and a revamped game developed by a company with much deeper pockets than Fifth Season ever had. And thankfully for all of us that are waiting you will not be here

Merlin
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 04:33   #43
MelAn
Condenación

Quote:
Quit then. Stop posting your crap and get a life away from those of us who just want to play and see what developes. As I said its the likes of you that are the biggest problem with this game not the game itself.

Please do quit and don't post here. When your gone we can celebrate your leaving. Soon there wil be new players, and a revamped game developed by a company with much deeper pockets than Fifth Season ever had. And thankfully for all of us that are waiting you will not be here

Merlin
...just weed or some pills?

Dunno whats your problem...he just told his opinion and he has the right to do, dont you think so?

Just open your eyes..
His reply sounds wise to me...yours just like typical AD ****
:eek:
--------------------
MelAncholic
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 05:30   #44
randal
boring

randal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to all
Quote:

Merlin
wow.. that really told me off etc.. in the future i'll beware to post, so i don't run the danger to face the linguistic wrath of pa's new shiny happy people fraction again..

i guess the biggest reason to cheer for ppl like you is that they'll be the great oldtimers then and finally have a chance to reach anything worth mentioning gamewise, playing against those other 300 experts, when all those bad boys who took your roids in the past finally are gone..

i'd love to play a new round with at least a bit of a 'playerbase' (tho we all heard the word too often anyway), and mainly a large diversity of players, in activity and other things (if i want to play against a bunch of 24/7 people i can play speed pa clones aswell)..
if they want to start pa free and as a 'new thing' with round 10, trying to get new masses of players in then, they probably don't even have to care how ****ty and empty round 9 will be, and with that not care if only 500 pay.. that's the best explanation for the move i guess..

and please don't be so nasty with me again, my heart is still beating :/
randal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 07:18   #45
MOS

MOS is an unknown quantity at this point
Its clear that we should have to pay - this should not even be a discussion. And I for one plan to pay for round 9 and enjoy playing it. But u cant expect people to buy something they have never tried. Plus if the player base is shrinking this will further damage the game.

Everyone has a solution so heres mine

If I was running PA I would allow free accounts and pay accounts - with no addvantages for the paying accounts. Free accounts, however, would get advertising banners and pop up adds etc. Initially until they get into the game their would be very few of these so they can start to enjoy the game. The better they go and the more they play the more adds they receive until they are inundated with adds. The adds are not there to raise money, although every bit would help, but to annoy the players that are staying on until they pay. They will either decide there are too many adds and they dont want to pay and therefore go away or pay for their account. You could also make it that everytime they click on a banner they get a small discount on there account fee (say 1 cent/pence) thereby encouraging people to click on the banners and if they go to enough of them then they get a free pay account.

To avoid multi's simply only allow free accounts to be accessed by an ip address that is not being used by any other account at the time of log in (pay or free). Therefore the multi would have go off line and then reconnect to there service provider to get a new ip address allocated which (with the adds) annoy most and stop them from bothering. It would certainly stop people from haveing 20 different accounts.

For those that want banners back I dont understand. I hate free accounts - I hate paying data download on their adds and having windows poping up all over the place. Its probebly cheaper paying for the account than paying your service provider to download all the adds.
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 09:30   #46
Merlin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally posted by MelAn
...just weed or some pills?

Dunno whats your problem...he just told his opinion and he has the right to do, dont you think so?

Just open your eyes..
His reply sounds wise to me...yours just like typical AD ****
:eek:

We can only hope your quiting too :P
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 10:49   #47
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by MOS
They will either decide there are too many adds and they dont want to pay and therefore go away or...
...or they'd have Ad-Aware installed and never even see a popup.

Quote:
To avoid multi's simply only allow free accounts to be accessed by an ip address that is not being used by any other account at the time of log in (pay or free). Therefore the multi would have...
...to use a proxy. Give me a few minutes and I could provide you with a list of a few hundred open proxies, it's not even a slight hindrance

Quote:
For those that want banners back I dont understand. I hate free accounts - I hate paying data download on their adds and having windows poping up all over the place. Its probebly cheaper paying for the account than paying your service provider to download all the adds.
Most people are on unmetered connections these days but even if they're not Ad-Aware stops the popups and a little firewall configuration stops the banners too.

This isn't meant to be as critical as it sounds, merely to point out that the issues involved in having free accounts at all are somewhat more complex than most people realise.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 12:16   #48
Galaxian

Galaxian is an unknown quantity at this point
Legalise farming / multi-ing. Problems solved.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 12:47   #49
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by Galaxian
Legalise farming / multi-ing. Problems solved.
Legalise farming / multi-ing, goodbye
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 13:02   #50
Galaxian

Galaxian is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
Legalise farming / multi-ing, goodbye
But if its legalised, you level the playing field. Everyone has the same level of access to the game. If they want to create 5 accounts, they can. If they want just 1, thats fine too.

At the moment, the normal, decent players are being penalised for being honest and abiding by the rules. We've had 8 rounds of PA and multi-ing has been a factor in every round. This won't change.

The creators will never be able to eliminate farming / multi-ing. So in the same way some people advocate legalising drugs, maybe we should think the unthinkable and legalise multi-ing.

Let me make it clear that in no way do I advocate or take part in multi-ing. I'm just playing devils advocate a little and exploring avenues that haven't really been explored so far.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote