User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 29 May 2003, 12:25   #1
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Cath Fr fleet

Hey!

Does anyone have any beet/roach/bw/pod fleet ratios?

I'm not too clued up on such matters.
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2003, 12:47   #2
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute
1/1/1/1 ratio? :P

but i doubt that will work.. .as for ratio;s... ever really think of it, i just build what i feel that needs building
Unread 29 May 2003, 13:02   #3
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Cath Fr fleet

Quote:
Originally posted by Embroglio
Hey!

Does anyone have any beet/roach/bw/pod fleet ratios?

I'm not too clued up on such matters.
If you want that combo i'd say (in resources):
2/4/4/1
which is in #:
~1,8/1,2/0,8/0,27

But this fleet doesn't target Bs and has no C sink. You need spiders at least. Bs are available from tick 1. Without something to target Bs, the amount of possible targets is greatly reduced.

I'd advice you to build another combo:
- spid/roach/bw/pod/tara; or
- bee/spid/roa/defender/bw/pod.

Or build a Cr/Bs fleet like every other cath.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2003, 16:33   #4
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re: Cath Fr fleet

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbie

Or build a Cr/Bs fleet like every other cath.
i'd like to note that i ain't going to build a CR/BS fleet right away

i'll start with a beetle/BW fleet (and some spids / roaches as backup) to go after Xan's first, after i have established a nice amount of roids to support a decent CR/BS which won't have a disadvantage due to the long eta (and cuz u start with small numbers relatively easy to cover) since the larger number makes it harder to stop.
Unread 29 May 2003, 19:59   #5
Gerbie
pe0n

Re: Re: Re: Cath Fr fleet

Quote:
Originally posted by Wandows
i'd like to note that i ain't going to build a CR/BS fleet right away

i'll start with a beetle/BW fleet (and some spids / roaches as backup) to go after Xan's first, after i have established a nice amount of roids to support a decent CR/BS which won't have a disadvantage due to the long eta (and cuz u start with small numbers relatively easy to cover) since the larger number makes it harder to stop.
Hmm interesting strategy. Xans will be the one race that will get ships fastest from the quests after tick 72. A cath going entirely for Cr/Bs with his ships still under construction would seem like a more logical choice the first round of attacks.
Unread 30 May 2003, 07:28   #6
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
I've been thinking of doing Mantis/Tarantula early on. It's something that most average terran people don't anticipate going Peg/Wyv/Dem, maybe I can catch a few pants off.

The frigatefleet is maybe for later stages, if to be used at all.
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2003, 11:09   #7
Fasie

Fasie is an unknown quantity at this point
The frig fleet should be jsut a side option so you can do 2 kind of raids at the same time.
But the cr/bs fleet is much better to roid whith then the frig fleet.

And ps Roaches allways were my M sink cause i still think every non emp ship from cath suxorsss
Unread 30 May 2003, 11:10   #8
Wandows
[Vision]

Quote:
Originally posted by Tietäjä
I've been thinking of doing Mantis/Tarantula early on. It's something that most average terran people don't anticipate going Peg/Wyv/Dem, maybe I can catch a few pants off.

The frigatefleet is maybe for later stages, if to be used at all.
from what i hear most cathaars will be using CR/BS @ the start, so i doubt that no one sees that coming ..... And with the high eta and low number of units @ the start (eventhough they are tough) i think its hard to start with CR/BS. and a few roaches/tara's can stop those fleets easy + i take there will be quit some terrans with dragons now they can build them from the start.... and those aren't really nice as ingal def :\.

And since there is alot of DE fleets from the ziks and terrans flying around most def will be prepared for DE class ships. and those fleets are usually quite nice against CR aswell and like i said, with the extra eta i dunno if its worth it to loose alot @ the start..
Unread 30 May 2003, 11:35   #9
Ditcher

Ditcher is an unknown quantity at this point
"If anything else fails you can always cover the eta9(8) inc"

Thats why I will never never ever build CR-based roiding fleet.
Unread 31 May 2003, 11:28   #10
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
3:1.5:1 Beetle/Roach/Black Widow.

If your planning on playing a decent sized planet then Cathaars shouldn't really waste their time with a CR/BS based fleet, it's useless it always has been, everyone can cover ETA 9 incoming especially when only a few lost ships is enough to make most Cathaars pull. The only time it may be good is very early on in the round where people won't have enough cover against CR/BS or if your small and your hitting other small people otherwise it's prettty much useless.

Don't bother with building ships which target BS, just rely on alliance/friends/galaxy mates to cover it.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2003, 13:47   #11
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute
so little roaches hicks???

u must be VERY sure to get def then...

it may work for you, but for most players it wont.
Unread 31 May 2003, 18:01   #12
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Hmm a TFD members recomends roughly the same amount of roachs as I do, maybe he's certain of defence as well
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 13:28   #13
Fasie

Fasie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Hicks
3:1.5:1 Beetle/Roach/Black Widow.

If your planning on playing a decent sized planet then Cathaars shouldn't really waste their time with a CR/BS based fleet, it's useless it always has been, everyone can cover ETA 9 incoming especially when only a few lost ships is enough to make most Cathaars pull.
I think you make your istake here, when you are a good (meaning active) cath player you must try and minimize losses, but don't overdo it. Cath can grow insanily hard when they don't (i know). gaining max cap and no losses when def comes, is very very nice, and when you concentrate on the bs and cr (meaning NO beetles at all cause they fire after scorpion), You will do just fine. Atleast i allways have and allways did nice.
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 13:52   #14
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
So what you're saying is 'Don't build beetles because they fire after scorpions, and not because a Fi/Cr/Bs attack fleet is an inherently bad idea'. If that's not what you meant, you're wrong, as Fi class defense is not so much desired as required.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 13:56   #15
HRS
TFD forever

HRS is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Hicks
Hmm a TFD members recomends roughly the same amount of roachs as I do, maybe he's certain of defence as well
now i know how you reached high positions in past rounds, you copied TFD tactics! Meanie!

anyway, i never really care about ratios, but was wondering if the defender is good enough to scare battleships? I can see it was upgraded since round 6, but is it worth building in a fi/co/fr fleet? (to lazy to find a matrix or so)

<mpr0733> never underestimate the speed of a fryingdutch thread spammer

<Zapman> ja ik wil hrs stalken, natuurlijk, logisch
HRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 14:07   #16
Gerbie
pe0n

It's not a bad ship, but you have better ships. There are three options:
- attack planets without enough many BS to worry you;
- attack spid/roach/bw/pod;
- attack bee/spid/roach/defender/bw/pod.

Last option requires defenders.

Defencewise: trust your allies (like me) to take care of it. I trust us to scare away anyone daring to plague you with Bs, if noticed in time.
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 17:29   #17
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Quote:
Originally posted by Fasie
I think you make your istake here, when you are a good (meaning active) cath player you must try and minimize losses, but don't overdo it. Cath can grow insanily hard when they don't (i know). gaining max cap and no losses when def comes, is very very nice, and when you concentrate on the bs and cr (meaning NO beetles at all cause they fire after scorpion), You will do just fine. Atleast i allways have and allways did nice.
Name me a big Cathaar player in the last 3 rounds (Since the new pods were introduced) who's had a CR/BS based fleet. ETA 9 attacks are easy to cover, most people underestimate how much easier they are to cover but ask any BC and I bet they will confirm this. The thing about CR/BS attack is that they're expensive, slow and only a few ships lost is usually enough to make most Cathaar pull since they're used to loss free roiding. The big question is why would people mess about with big ships when they have the best FI/CO/FR roiding combination in the game ? Just because the "special pod" is CR doesn't automatically make it good. While I agree a CR/BS fleet maybe good for smallish players who can hit even smaller players without adequate CR cover for big players it's not practical as most of their targets will have adequate anti CR or access to alliance mates who do,

I contemplated building defenders quite a few times last round when BS were frustrating the hell out of me but in the end I couldn't be bothered, the insanely high numbers needed to make it work just isn't worth the resources it's better to stick to Xands and Zik targets who are light on BS. As for the defence against BS I agree with Gerbie, don't bother with anti BS ships let your alliance mates of different races who are better able to deal with BS cover you.
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 18:23   #18
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute
Well Hicks, i think the reason why noone has big CR fleet in earlier rounds, is that CR fleets are so late that caths already have a big nice FR fleet.

THis round u can have cath cr right away, so some will prolly go that way.
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 18:49   #19
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by isildurx
Well Hicks, i think the reason why noone has big CR fleet in earlier rounds, is that CR fleets are so late that caths already have a big nice FR fleet.

I think we will see an aweful lot of them, and its a random round, so defensive is going to be lessened, but still you send a fleet at eta 8, your looking at all kinds of crazy def ships.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 18:58   #20
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
I think we will see an aweful lot of them, and its a random round, so defensive is going to be lessened, but still you send a fleet at eta 8, your looking at all kinds of crazy def ships.
I'm sure not so long ago you said random rounds were MORE prevelant in defence not less :/

but yes we will see a lot of CR attacks, that's why we have composed our bg's fleets the way we have

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 20:13   #21
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Quote:
Originally posted by isildurx

So why do most Terrans have large BS fleets even though they come late in the round ? You get the choice between CR and FR surprisingly early and at a point where most people have been stacking resources anyway, at this point your FR fleet isn't very strong, when I got CR last round I only had like 2k Black Widow. There are a few Cathaar people who always go heavy CR/BS they just never do very well, I wonder why.