User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 20 May 2011, 13:35   #51
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 10 Months on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I am quite sure we will not turn to Apps.
We will, however, have a quite extensive mobile interface meant and made for modern touch-devices. We will not support very old phones (WML), and stick to HTML5 there too.
But if you read my above post from last night, well, I think a mobile interface is mentioned...
thanks for the clarity there. (-: <--- love the trademark smiley

Im sure that there would be some disappointment with the Iphone users with no app for it... but as long as it supports on windows mobile this should cater for most folk.

Keep up the good work.
Unread 20 May 2011, 13:38   #52
nolezy
Class Clown

nolezy is just really nicenolezy is just really nicenolezy is just really nicenolezy is just really nicenolezy is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
You're correct that ad2460 does not have to affect the player base of PA, but i would "assume" that more than a handful want more than PA is currently giving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolezy View Post
The underlying issue would remain that Jagex has yet to show much interest in the game.
^^

Agreed about mobile interface too... I get irritated trying to play PA on my phone, although it's doable.

Round 13 - Angels - Boulevard of Broken Dreams - Rank 21
Round 16 - Ascendancy - when im gd im not gd of when im bad i suck - Rank 56
Round 28 - Ascendancy - The Olympic Glory of Michael Phelps - Rank 21
Round 38 - [NFI] - Boulevard of Broken Dreams - Rank 30
Round 39 - Imperia - Purdue of Boilermakers - Rank 59
Round 40 - xVx - An Shi Rebellion of the Tang Dynasty - Rank 2

I'll always give you a hand.
nolezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2011, 15:58   #53
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisley View Post
thanks for the clarity there. (-: <--- love the trademark smiley
Im sure that there would be some disappointment with the Iphone users with no app for it... but as long as it supports on windows mobile this should cater for most folk.
Keep up the good work.
One of the big benefits of web-based games, is that they can be played from anywhere.
One can essentially make an interface for small screens (say mobile phones), and one interface for larger screens (tabs and computers), by using the same components, and hopefully using the same backend functionality.
Going the apps-way, one would have to make 3 versions: iOs, Android and Windows Mobile. Not efficient, and requiring resources that are far beyond what we have. The game gets an update or addition or change, we would have 4 versions to deal with. No thanks.
An alternative is to "fake it", and make it look like an "app" which many does today. The "app" is just a browser-window, with no borders etc, and it fetches the content from the web just like a normal browser would do. It is a smart thing, because by pushing out an "app", you'd get attention and customers you might not get otherwise. So, we'll see.
Unread 20 May 2011, 15:59   #54
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolezy View Post
^^
Agreed about mobile interface too... I get irritated trying to play PA on my phone, although it's doable.
I consider that one of my bigger mistakes with PAX, allthough many would feel different.
But it should have had a mobile interface for smaller screens.
Unread 20 May 2011, 16:14   #55
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It is one of the bigger mistakes with PAX, but you didn't make it. Remember, you sold it back in 2003, when phones were fantastic if they could play Tetris.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2011, 17:26   #56
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Well, Pre-PAX PA had WML-support....Meaning WAP...Which was supported by most phones back in the days...
Unread 20 May 2011, 17:49   #57
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Ah. I did not know that.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 20 May 2011, 17:52   #58
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

That said, mobile interfaces / tab interfaces / computer interfaces are still far from easy...
Check out the list of resolutions and aspect-ratios on a few devices:
Decent phones:
Iphone 3 640*480 12:9
Iphone 4 960*640 13,5:9
HTC Wildf 320*240 12:9
Touch HD 800*480 15:9
Nokia N8-00 640*360 16:9
Nokia N72 208*176 10,5:9

So, anywhere from 10:9 to 16:9...It's quite a difference...

Apple Ipad 1024*768 12:9
Sams. Gal.Tab 1024*600 15,4:9
Motor. Xoom 1280*800 14,4:9
WeTab 1366×768 16:9

Anywhere from 12:9 to 16:9 here, so a bit better, but still 80% more pixels on the Xoom than on the Galaxy Tab.

There is hope though, as these new devices usually auto-scale a web-page to fit the device. Then again, as soon as these devices have scaled a page, any "animated object" will be dead slow on that page.
Nope, it aint easy if you wish to make something that looks good on many devices. If you can stick to just "it has to WORK on many devices", it's not too hard.
Unread 21 May 2011, 00:02   #59
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Quote:
That said, mobile interfaces / tab interfaces / computer interfaces are still far from easy...
Check out the list of resolutions and aspect-ratios on a few devices:
Decent phones:
Iphone 3 640*480 12:9
Iphone 4 960*640 13,5:9
HTC Wildf 320*240 12:9
Touch HD 800*480 15:9
Nokia N8-00 640*360 16:9
Nokia N72 208*176 10,5:9

So, anywhere from 10:9 to 16:9...It's quite a difference...

Apple Ipad 1024*768 12:9
Sams. Gal.Tab 1024*600 15,4:9
Motor. Xoom 1280*800 14,4:9
WeTab 1366×768 16:9

Anywhere from 12:9 to 16:9 here, so a bit better, but still 80% more pixels on the Xoom than on the Galaxy Tab.

There is hope though, as these new devices usually auto-scale a web-page to fit the device. Then again, as soon as these devices have scaled a page, any "animated object" will be dead slow on that page.
Nope, it aint easy if you wish to make something that looks good on many devices. If you can stick to just "it has to WORK on many devices", it's not too hard.
I basically designed around a HTC Desire HD (800x480)

PA App Overview

PA App Research

Yes its a GUI draft, and i've not figured out everything yet

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 May 2011, 00:07   #60
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Also what about an SDK/API kind of thing, where other people could create the Apps and they would have to look after them?

Fifth season could hand out the API keys so to control the stem of "bot" apps.

Although that would probably end up more time consuming anyway.

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 21 May 2011, 01:46   #61
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Nice App-design, looks ideal for PA. Any chance of it being actually used?

As for allowing "external parties" to create Apps for a game, there are some complications to consider, like potential security-risks or other kinds of abuse. I think I would need to think long and hard about this.
That said, it would be a real benefit if such a thing could come to pass, for PA or any other game. The biggest problem I see, specially with any game that is young, immature and undergoing regular changes / improvements is of course that the Apps would need to be constantly updated in sync.
See, one of my "weaknesses" when it comes to making games, is that I like to improve, revise, and add to them as we go. Poor ManagerLeague has been receiving smaller and greater updates on a near monthly basis for 6 years straight! It keeps it fresh, it creates something for all players to look forward to, and it is generally received very well in the community. With games like PA, these changes would enter with a new round ofc, but since AD is meant to be persistent, this changes things a bit. I guess we are going to have to have some kind of "patch-tuesday" or something, to allow for my tinkering (-:
Once a month or so (-:
Anyway, the point is, an App may soon be outdated if not followed up on properly. And I fear this could cause both confusion, frustration and possibly a myriad of apps to keep track of. "Nono, install AppX, it's more updated than AppY and AppZ. But AppW has the best forum-integration and AppS kicks ass with it's chat."

There are some hard issues to tackle in all of this, regardless of which game we are talking about. I must also say, I feel very uncomfortable talking about AD at all in here. It's against the rules, I think, for one, and it might look like a blatant attempt of user-stealing. Which I don't wish to be accused of. I guess there is always the discussion-forums over at the Facebook-page. Or maybe some kind of Q&A can be added to the main web-page...
Unread 21 May 2011, 15:59   #62
nolezy
Class Clown

nolezy is just really nicenolezy is just really nicenolezy is just really nicenolezy is just really nicenolezy is just really nice

Quote:
Poor ManagerLeague has been receiving smaller and greater updates on a near monthly basis for 6 years straight!
Yeah, quit making it harder for me to get the 200 friendlies in I appear to have discovered, too late, that re-doing your team wrecks your team stats.

Unread 21 May 2011, 20:37   #63
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

Quote:
It's against the rules, I think, for one, and it might look like a blatant attempt of user-stealing. Which I don't wish to be accused of. I guess there is always the discussion-forums over at the Facebook-page. Or maybe some kind of Q&A can be added to the main web-page...
Well then you need to open up a "dedicated"forum then :P (remember a small few dont use facebook).

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 22 May 2011, 16:52   #64
nolezy
Class Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
Well then you need to open up a "dedicated"forum then :P (remember a small few dont use facebook).
In all fairness, catering to the very small population that doesn't use facebook makes no sense. The amount of people you could potentially gain through facebook far outweighs the handful you could lose who don't use it. Just my two cents though.

Unread 22 May 2011, 17:00   #65
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Attempting to reach as many people as you can always makes sense.
Unread 23 May 2011, 21:30   #66
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
Attempting to reach as many people as you can always makes sense.
Yes, and the costs involved doesn`t matter at all. Reaching that extra weirdo not on FB is important!

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2011, 02:03   #67
Korsan
Always MadcowS

Korsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the rough

Back to OP:

Round is over. ANYTHING being added to pa for next round? Or is it just stats change and a random alliance limit change?

I'm really having a hard time here as I see no reason to create a planet if nothing changed at all.

Any "Hey guys, we are working on PA and we plan to get the polished and reworked PA live at xx/xx/2194" or any proof of life would be highly appreciated!

If not, go to hell.

And...

Relation Change Ascendancy and the Horde are now at war with each other.
Korsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2011, 04:37   #68
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
Yes, and the costs involved doesn`t matter at all. Reaching that extra weirdo not on FB is important!
Come on man, we're not talking about financing an expedition into the Amazon here, it's a forum on the ****ing internet.
Unread 25 May 2011, 14:22   #69
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I know I know, but seriously...how many geeks are not on FB? or, how many in the agegroup he wants to reach are not on fb? also, it takes as long to create a "fake" fb account and just follow it there as it takes to create a user on some forum :/ I dont see the need as long as he doesnt want to discuss things. The forum will ofc be up at a later point when alpha / beta testing starts...

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2011, 17:30   #70
Abort
Dumb Yankee

Abort has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
I know I know, but seriously...how many geeks are not on FB? or, how many in the agegroup he wants to reach are not on fb?
My 3 year old cousin has a facebook... my 92 year old grandma has a facebook... the kid who was caught masturbating in the janitors closet in 6th grade has a facebook... the virgin with the alias Wishmaster has a facebook...

Facebook isn't a very small or group specific community. I hope that's not breaking news to you.
Unread 25 May 2011, 17:34   #71
Mzyxptlk
mz.

I think you're misunderstanding which side of the argument Wishmaster is on.
Unread 25 May 2011, 19:30   #72
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abort View Post
My 3 year old cousin has a facebook... my 92 year old grandma has a facebook... the kid who was caught masturbating in the janitors closet in 6th grade has a facebook... the virgin with the alias Wishmaster has a facebook...

Facebook isn't a very small or group specific community. I hope that's not breaking news to you.
Abort, Retry, Fail...

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 26 May 2011, 05:18   #73
Abort
Dumb Yankee

Abort has a little shameless behaviour in the past

lol :P~~~
Unread 26 May 2011, 10:40   #74
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

I sucked at english when I was at school, and have never tried to understand what are verbs and nouns.

But when did having a "Facebook Account" become having a "Facebook"?

<Ave> both has bad gfx