User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 5 Aug 2015, 02:53   #1
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of
Future communication tools for PA.

The discussion has allready been spinning across HC channels for perhaps the last 15 rounds.
The mix of only IRC and ingame tools just aint sufficient anymore.
The merlin tools, and mPulse hosting has been supplying alliances with sufficient tools and free hosting, but now this seems to not be keeping alliances on IRC anymore.
Perhaps ironical enough the added feature to view fleets ingame has speeded up the drastic migration away from IRC.
Now people might not consider this as a dramatical change to the PA community, but it actualy is.
Back in the days, prior to the move to netgamers it was pretty common, if not a must, for big alliances to have private servers for IRC, due to distrust in the IRC ops, and stability.
Still using IRC for communication, even if on a private network, wasnt much a issue, as the community would still be connected with each other on the official network.
When 1up came along they did something pretty shocking and unsual, at the time, and said netgamers and simple tools is sufficient enough to run a top alliance.
Now we are facing a opposite trend, alliances, mostly built around experince players are moving totaly away from irc, and this is just gonna spread as we go.
This means the community is splitting up, and leaves us with a dilemma wether to embrace it or try get features wich makes this less attractive for alliances

RB Ely MISTU Angel Fusi0n 1up ToF VisioN CT FAnG ROCK
BloodyButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2015, 08:10   #2
Munkee
Dictator

Munkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to behold
Re: Future communication tools for PA.

Agree in some areas but maybe not all.

Alliance defence page for me has become one of the most useful features as far as PA changes goes for a long time, coupled with the fleets page.

Alliance attack page is still not the best - mainly due to being implemented quite differently to how external alliance tools have done this.

I see two clear avenues here for the PA team.

1. Continue to develop in game with alliances finding new weird and wonderful ways to pull data out of pa (via greasemonkey scripts, automated login bots, macro browsers and current dumpfiles) but acknowledging that the team needs to actually develop grander scale changes during and between rounds to keep up with the demand from the community.

2. Become more "open source" to some extent and allow the community to develop and give back to the game. This could come in two flavours a) Allow certain aspects of the game source code to be viewable to the community to edit and as a typical git hub project would go allow the community to request code to be pushed back into the game after review. b) Increase the end points to the databases within the game, not necessarily asking for some form of API here but the closer to that the better. You could easily allow access to alliance fleets, alliance defence, alliance scans etc which would allow the community built tools to integrate better with the game and reduce the "cheating scripts" we often see banded about on the forums.

There's always a middle ground between 1 and 2, but then again there is also the "do nothing".
Munkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2015, 08:53   #3
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of

So open source?
Did BowS just ask p3ng for the code for the TG script of p3ng?
What was the answer of this requeSt?

RB Ely MISTU Angel Fusi0n 1up ToF VisioN CT FAnG ROCK
BloodyButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2015, 09:27   #4
Munkee
Dictator

Munkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to behold

Your request was to my code - not game code.

My intellectual property = my decision.

p3negram was open source on github once upon a time but I received too many questions on how to change it etc which became more of a headache to deal with so I removed it. You can probably still find the command line client on there at the moment as I had made some changes to that however this is not p3negram irc bot.
Munkee is offline   Reply With Quote