User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 8 Dec 2002, 02:27   #1
Timmeh

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings - Texture problems.

Lo guys.

Wondering if you can help me. I have recently 'aquired' the LOTR PC game and installed in on my system. Everything works fine until i get into the actual game.

It's hard to describe, but the textures are f*cked. The landscapes (grass and rock faces) appear correctly, but all the character texturing, sky, buildings, everything else flicker as if I'm running a GF4 designed game on an Intel onboard graphics chip.

My system has a GF3 Ti200, 512mb, 1.4Athlon and Windows XP.

I've got the latest XP Detonator drivers (Detonator40) for my GeForce and the latest version of DirectX.

I've tried reinstalling DX, Detonators, the game and even Windows. I've also installed the patch for the game (v1.1).

Any ideas?

I know it's supposed to be a bit of a sheit game but I would like to give it a go as I'm a big LOTR fan.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Cheers guys.

Skiddy.
Unread 8 Dec 2002, 07:19   #2
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
If everything else on your computer runs fine then I'd say it's more likely a bug in the game itself. You'd have better luck to contact the developers I think and point it out to them.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 8 Dec 2002, 13:11   #3
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Try to disable as much graphics features as possible. It could be that the game uses GF4 specific features and messes it up when trying to emulate them.
BTW, did you have to install DirectX (or were you asked to instal DirectX) for this game?
Unread 8 Dec 2002, 14:12   #4
Slidey

Slidey is an unknown quantity at this point
go buy the game properly and see what it says the minimum requirements are on the box

#impulsed - home of genius..?
Slidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2002, 23:03   #5
Timmeh

Quote:
Originally posted by Slidey
go buy the game properly and see what it says the minimum requirements are on the box
Heh shh - it's a proper ISO :/

My system more than meets the minimum requirements, and I've dropped the graphics settings to the bare minimum.

I wasn't asked to install DX, but I had it installed already, and if the game doesn't require it then it won't be used - having it installed won't affect a non-dx game.
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 08:27   #6
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Timmeh
Heh shh - it's a proper ISO :/

My system more than meets the minimum requirements, and I've dropped the graphics settings to the bare minimum.

I wasn't asked to install DX, but I had it installed already, and if the game doesn't require it then it won't be used - having it installed won't affect a non-dx game.
It's quite important to know if a game uses DX. There are two big graphics libraries commonly used in games: DirectX and OpenGL. Advantage of DirectX is that it has a layer that will emulate certain effects if they are not integrated on the card. OpenGL has this not and will require a programmer to write the emulation himself.
If the game runs on OpenGL and they messed up the emulation of something that is not integrated on your card you could get fecked display, such as bad texturing. You could try to set graphics options to a maximum to see if the problem is resolved then.

I also guess you read the readme, which usually lists system/card specific problems.
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 11:01   #7
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Using my amazing google powers, I have surmised the following
  • The game is absolute utter ****e, even condemned by Tolkien freaks.
  • Lots of people have problems running it.
  • The game is so **** that the manufacturors dont even maintain the games website (last updated July :)
  • There is a demo! - does that work on your computer?
  • Its ****.

Hope this helps.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 11:17   #8
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by MT
Using my amazing google powers, I have surmised the following
My googling powers are greater than yours!
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote