User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 14 Aug 2007, 15:37   #1
Duncasaurus
Quit yo Jibba Jabba

Duncasaurus is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb OR Techtree

Ok I'm sorry if this has already been suggested, I did have a quick look through and couldn't see something regarding this so I thought I'd post my ideas.

In the beginning of the game tech scans would reveal large differences in what people research first (Scanners go for wave tech, some people go for Hulls, some people go for roids, and some people go for a bit of everything.)

Further into the round most people have the same if not very similar tech trees, such as hulls, waves, core extraction, cov ops etc)

and even later on everyone has the same except for those people who have missed large portions of ticks to carry out research due to inactivity/holidays etc.

So everyone knows, i'm attacking this guy he is Terran, he has most if not all of the relevant tech tree researched (who cares if the guy your attacking has maxed out heavy cargo transfers) all the relevant stuff, like hulls, waves, cov ops are almost a certainty.

Why not add a little more variation and more use for tech scans?

By having an OR Tech tree so that even though someone is attacking a Terran, did they research X or Y and how will that affect the attack/their defence.

I don't have loads of ideas for examples of the different techs to be researched (probably you could incorporate alot of the other ideas from posts into this bit)

But a few examples I thought of (Don't shout at me for this bit - this is to highlight my idea of OR techtrees)

X OR Y
With X being the route down to Advanced Scanner (that allows for Advanced unit scans) or Y being the route down Alliance blackhole (reduces ally defence times by 1 tick if both planets have it)

Or another example
Do you research a new tech called Finance Development (a bonus like refinarys except delivers a benefit like finance centres (a 0.5% - 5%) bonus, or do you choose to be able to reach the last level of asteroid mining to get more roids?

Any other ideas for that are welcomed, especially ones that could be for use earlier in the rounds

BigD
Duncasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2007, 18:34   #2
Veil05
NE

Veil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud of
Re: OR Techtree

Kinda like War/Science back "in the day"

To be honest, its a cool concept, but the idea's given ar'nt too great and i cant think of any at the moment
Unread 14 Aug 2007, 19:28   #3
Envy

Envy is an unknown quantity at this point

great idea! i remeber when you could build PD back in the day and chose between a massive cannon and something else its was a good idea could be taken further now and would create classes. Would also be good if applied to tech to chose what ships each race could build would remove some of the predictability!
Envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2007, 19:44   #4
Duncasaurus
Quit yo Jibba Jabba

Duncasaurus is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: OR Techtree

Thats a good idea Envy, bringing back some form of planetary defence might make people think twice about running their fleets all the time (if they built any) and would give a good option for a tech tree, although I'm not sure what the other branch could be? Cargo ships? Wave distorters? god knows.

We need more input from other players
Duncasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2007, 20:41   #5
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

PDS is shit because 1) you can't run it and 2) you can't attack with it 3) you can't defend with it, so 4) it works against the very thing this game is best at: allowing people to play together.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2007, 23:57   #6
AdmV0rl0n

AdmV0rl0n is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
PDS is shit because 1) you can't run it and 2) you can't attack with it 3) you can't defend with it, so 4) it works against the very thing this game is best at: allowing people to play together.
So, make it orbital.
Make it station-able So you can send it to your friend to def for 5 ticks (example), yes, there should be a max that it can stay in orbit.
(The ETA should be +1 More than anything else, so it can't be used directly to def. )

The attacking part, I think has to remain as is, its a defense tech.

Ad