User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 23 Jun 2003, 18:27   #1
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
Should Wave Amps be counted towards score?

I was thinking this through over the last few days and in my experience within my own alliance and in with contact with others, it appears that the larger players depend on others for the scans they need.

This gives them an advantage to some extent in that they can set their roid ratio to accomodate purely ship building activity, whereas the independant or smaller player has to depend on himself for scans, amps and most anything else he needs to achieve any degree of success

I know well the argument against giving score for building amps/scan/blockers, as they cannot be destroyed or removed like ships and roids can.

But I am of the opinion that some recognition of the number of scans/amps/blockers should br reflected in the score of a player, and for this reason alone.

It would encourage all to have that ability, and not be soley dependant on alliances/galaxy mates/etc, thus reducing the difference in advantage gained by not having them.

The allied player has more advantages than enough without giving additional advantages of avoiding an essential part of the game.
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 18:44   #2
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Adding score for amps makes running a combo scan/farm planet quite efficient, as you keep building amps (score goes up, 20% boundary increases likewise) and can be farmed while providing your scanning services.

If you're not farming, and just a scanner, you're score will be arbitrarily hight due to a large portion of it tied up in amps...again, the 20% boundary is higher, and some big, bored top player will come and bash you for a few extra roids, because you can be attacked.

I personally wouldn't want to have an arbitrarily high score that wasn't based upon fleet/roids.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 19:51   #3
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
Yes I can quite clearly see that side of the argument, as I said, but at present the bias is towards people who have the contacts or ability to get scans at other people's expense.

Thus releasing resources they would normally use to build the scans and amps for themselves.
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 19:55   #4
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
No more amps in round 10. And no changes in this round.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 22:03   #5
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
Score for amps is bad

If you're a player that makes your own scans you need to have a load of amps. Players who use scanplanets don't need the amps.
More score means you have to take bigger targets, if amps gave score players who do their own scans would be punished by forcing them to take bigger tagets than those who use scan planets.
Unread 24 Jun 2003, 13:04   #6
Devo
Spinner Flamer Flamer

Devo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Cochese
Adding score for amps makes running a combo scan/farm planet quite efficient, as you keep building amps (score goes up, 20% boundary increases likewise) and can be farmed while providing your scanning services.

If you're not farming, and just a scanner, you're score will be arbitrarily hight due to a large portion of it tied up in amps...again, the 20% boundary is higher, and some big, bored top player will come and bash you for a few extra roids, because you can be attacked.

I personally wouldn't want to have an arbitrarily high score that wasn't based upon fleet/roids.
I'd have to agree, having score for amps is in my opinion quite a bad idea... If someone wants to be a scan planet then the least they can do it being tiny!
Quote:
Originally posted by Zh|l
Why are you quoting me in your signature?
Devo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2003, 15:11   #7
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend
The problem is that if you have a large number of amps counting towards your score, you will be much easier to attack for big players - high score means they can send more fleet and still get max cap on you.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote