User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 5 Mar 2003, 02:22   #1
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
Research and Construction blocked

I understand that research and construction are blocked while race change is still possible to prevent people from tricks like starting the swarmer yard and then switching to Cathaar to get 4 types of FI. However, this does hinder some people who might not be able to make the tickstart from managing to keep their research on par with the rest.

Wouldn't it be better if only the race specific branches of research and construction were blocked?
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 06:44   #2
starbreeze

starbreeze is an unknown quantity at this point
don't we have 72 hrs from race selection finalized until tick starts?
....that is a mighty long time to be unable to get online....
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 08:34   #3
RealJames
Retired at the top

RealJames is infamous around these parts
I expect there will be a fair while between races being locked and ticks actually starting. Rumour has it that races will be locked at 1800 GMT on Friday, but ticks not starting until Monday. (Why the hell they can't start on Saturday I've no idea. )

"That's what the internet's for - slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards, J&SBSB
RealJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 09:20   #4
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough
Always been some people who havent been able to be there for the first ticks/quests, there is no such time when everybody can be there.
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 09:43   #5
hAl
ensign forever

hAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these parts
Re: Research and Construction blocked

Quote:
Originally posted by Chax
However, this does hinder some people who might not be able to make the tickstart from managing to keep their research on par with the rest.
So... ???

In this game if you cannot make it at a certain time you cannot play optimally. Nothing new. Other player might not be able to make tick 8 or 9. You think the game should make allowences for them as well ?

hAl
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 11:32   #6
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
Re: Re: Research and Construction blocked

Quote:
Originally posted by hAl
So... ???

In this game if you cannot make it at a certain time you cannot play optimally. Nothing new. Other player might not be able to make tick 8 or 9. You think the game should make allowences for them as well ?

hAl
I think the game should give everyone a fair start yes. Obvisously some ticks won't be able to be attended by some people. However tick 0 is rather more important than any other arbitrarily selected tick. That metal mine is good to have.

Theyremoved a feature to prevent abuse when all they had to do was remove part of the feature. It's laziness pure and simple and I fail to see how anyone could find arguments for not fixing it.
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 11:33   #7
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Quote:
Originally posted by dabult
Always been some people who havent been able to be there for the first ticks/quests, there is no such time when everybody can be there.
Precisely!

So why not fix it so that everyone, no matter wether they can be here or not, has access to research and construction and, GASP, maybe evern ability to init their roids before ticks start to lessen that gap and make the game more appealing to all.
Unread 5 Mar 2003, 11:35   #8
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Quote:
Originally posted by starbreeze
don't we have 72 hrs from race selection finalized until tick starts?
....that is a mighty long time to be unable to get online....
Good point, but why remove the race change option that early?
The only reason to do so would be to let people R/C and fixing the R/C block would be a much better solution, alloing people more options for a longer time.

Noone knows hpw the races work yet, They still haven't told us what they did to Zikonians f ex.
Unread 6 Mar 2003, 14:26   #9
Prince
Free!

Prince is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Re: Research and Construction blocked

Quote:
Originally posted by Chax
I think the game should give everyone a fair start yes. Obvisously some ticks won't be able to be attended by some people. However tick 0 is rather more important than any other arbitrarily selected tick. That metal mine is good to have.
Hals point about tick 8 was just, most people would agree first few ticks are crucial but 8 is just as important as the first, the only diffrence? people have from 18:00 friday till 12:00 Monday (both GMT) to do tick 0

they have 1 hour todo tick 8

as for your orignal point, yes would be nice to block race construction, it won't happen for this round (ofc)
Rd 10 I assume (will make sure) it does, thxs for bringing this up Chax
Prince is offline   Reply With Quote