User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 26 Feb 2003, 00:13   #1
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
Explanation of Combat

...is sparse to say the least. It starts off so well,
Quote:
he first stage of combat involves all hostile and friendly fleets at the planet being grouped into one large fleet per side. The second stage of combat relies on the initiative of each seperate unit within both fleets. Initiative determines at which point in combat a ship fires.
but then the next sentence may as well read
"The Third Stage involves some stuff with numbers."
for all the help it is.
Having the combat formula (which is lacking info on maximum roid capture) on a separate page strikes me as slightly odd. Maybe next time someone who understands (or who can express) what is going on could write the manual?
As for spinner's explanation of how Zik stealing works
"see killing, but replace kill with steal" (paraphrasing) is not really what was wanted.
Resources or Armour?
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 00:20   #2
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
i'd just like to point out that i'm totally with symm on this one and i'm standing right behind him in this matter (ready to run in case the sh1t hits the fan)
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 00:53   #3
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Thumbs up

A rigorous explanation of how combat works would be wonderful; especially as it's been requested since Round 1. However, it seems unlikely that they would deign to supply one now; especially since they're--supposedly--busy rewriting everything (including the combat engine) for R10.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 00:58   #4
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

i still don't understand how they managed to lose all that information which was in the r8 manual...
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 01:01   #5
Not_RIT

Not_RIT is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by at0mic.c0w
i still don't understand how they managed to lose all that information which was in the r8 manual...
You are? You should be surprised that they still have the code from R8..I am
Not_RIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 01:19   #6
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

hmm... my bad
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 02:13   #7
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
Yep, like I wrote in this thread the manual is lacking in the combat department.
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 04:47   #8
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Explanation of Combat

Quote:
Originally posted by SYMM
Resources or Armour?

Answered in CH today; it's resources.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 04:53   #9
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Re: Explanation of Combat

Quote:
Originally posted by Cochese
Of course, they said it was resources the previous two rounds and they were wrong. Is there a reason to believe they're right this time?

(serious question--I missed CH and the log isn't up yet)
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 06:05   #10
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re: Re: Explanation of Combat

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
Of course, they said it was resources the previous two rounds and they were wrong. Is there a reason to believe they're right this time?

(serious question--I missed CH and the log isn't up yet)

Don't kill the messenger

Whether or not it's true is entirely debateable; I'm too apathetic to complain about contradictory statements anymore

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 09:45   #11
-QS-
nub since 2002

-QS- is an unknown quantity at this point
The only reason for the manual being not properly made and updated is to prevent ppl in the Strategy Forum from always shouting RTFM!!!
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 15:38   #12
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

Re: Re: Explanation of Combat

Quote:
Originally posted by Cochese
still no reason not to include it in the manual...
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 15:45   #13
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
Yes there is c0w, because having all the useful information in one place would be far too much for us to ask for. You'll be expecting the information to be correct next...
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 10:03   #14
MrBrick
Gone

MrBrick is an unknown quantity at this point
Blame me, I wrote it.

Heh.

The combat writing got a little "dappy" as I began that about 14hrs into to a 30hr sleepless wade through the manual.

We are still tweaking, although can't update til Monday.

Basically I edited the wrong page, and never rectified it, It will be done asap. And when I can see again.

Apologies,

MrBrick

PS. Resources.
MrBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 10:49   #15
Legolas
State of Bliss

Legolas is an unknown quantity at this point
Though, the manner in which you have brought this to our attention is very unprofessional. There is a support forum, email address and you can contact us on irc.. tho your decide to flame on a forum, that has more spammers than anything.

Truthfully I doubt much will be changed before Monday, as I am going away for a few days.
You will just have to "make do" in the mean time.

Tacticus, we spent a while trying to get hold of you to help us with the manual, maybe you could have spent a while extra helping the pa community more, rather than just present "conditions" to us.
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 11:55   #16
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

Flame? More criticism really, and not so much a "helpdesk" issue, as a point of (repeated) discussion over the quality of the manual every single round.

The combat explanations from previous rounds, though maybe not 100% complete, would have been infinitely better than what is currently there, and the "make do" attitude is what I have come to expect from PA Crew/Team (whatever they are calling themselves nowadays).

As for MrBrick's comments about working for 30 hours, that was never necessary. Getting a team, led by one "editor"-type person would have been a much better way of doing things. I'm sure many people could have been found to write one or two pages of the manual, making sure those pages are clear and accurate, as well as containing all the necessary information. Other people, or the "editor" could then read over the pages to check for inaccuracies or omissions, and then supply feedback to the writer.
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 12:06   #17
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
It's a PA tradition that the manual is crap and full of errors.
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 12:28   #18
Vexaz

Vexaz is an unknown quantity at this point
PA is errors
R19 - R27: Orbit

Retired?
Vexaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 13:08   #19
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas
Though, the manner in which you have brought this to our attention is very unprofessional. There is a support forum, email address and you can contact us on irc.. tho your decide to flame on a forum, that has more spammers than anything.

Truthfully I doubt much will be changed before Monday, as I am going away for a few days.
You will just have to "make do" in the mean time.

Tacticus, we spent a while trying to get hold of you to help us with the manual, maybe you could have spent a while extra helping the pa community more, rather than just present "conditions" to us.
What is unprofessional is that you as manual manager failed to find and reply to a thread with the name 'The Manual?'. Using the built in search function on these boards isn't that hard. Yet you demand that we, the users act professionally?

/Edited out a faulty argument after being pointed out I was wrong/

How many of Tactitus' email adresses did you try? Did you use a board PM? (yeah I'm madly commenting at everything.)

Last edited by Chax; 28 Feb 2003 at 02:28.
Chax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 13:13   #20
MadeMan
180º

MadeMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by at0mic.c0w
i'd just like to point out that i'm totally with symm on this one and i'm standing right behind him in this matter (ready to run in case the sh1t hits the fan)
MadeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 21:28   #21
Borgoroth
Reunion

Borgoroth is an unknown quantity at this point
hi Mademan! long time, no see. remember me? we where in same galaxy r5

Quote:
[25-Feb] [23:08:02] <@Spinner> 2: Stealing Ships
[25-Feb] [23:08:13] <@Spinner> Many have asked how stealing actually works
[25-Feb] [23:08:20] <@Spinner> An allthough I shoudl refer them to the manual
[25-Feb] [23:08:35] <@Spinner> http://main.planetarion.com/manual/
[25-Feb] [23:08:46] <@Spinner> I will allow myself a brief explanation:
[25-Feb] [23:08:53] <@Spinner> They do damage just like the "normal" ships
[25-Feb] [23:08:59] <@Spinner> according to the stats
[25-Feb] [23:09:06] <@Spinner> http://main.planetarion.com/manual/?...in§ion=3Dstats
[25-Feb] [23:09:25] <@Spinner>But, when a ship is "killed" by a stealer, it is in stead STOLEN
[25-Feb] [23:09:37] <@Spinner> And will be transfered to the fleet stealing it
if I understand that correctly, stealing is done by the amount of ships that are lost. And I wiht my logic it means armor.
But Id like to know what will happen to the ship that steals the enemy ship? Will it be lost?
And will the stolen ship join combat at the planet where it was stolen until the fleet is recalled?
Edit:
Oops, I hadnt had readen whole log of CH:
Quote:
25-Feb] [23:42:02] <@Spinner> The destruction of the stealers is Cost based, or resource based as you call it
so stolen ships amount will be armor-based, and lost ships will be resource-based. Please correct me if Im right.

Last edited by Borgoroth; 27 Feb 2003 at 23:32.
Borgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 23:33   #22
Legolas
State of Bliss

Legolas is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Chax

If you want us to use a special forum, why not provide a link to it from the manual page?
We do, ta
Unread 28 Feb 2003, 02:27   #23
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas
We do, ta
I stand corrected. My sincere apologies.
Unread 28 Feb 2003, 08:45   #24
hAl
ensign forever

hAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Borgoroth
so stolen ships amount will be armor-based, and lost ships will be resource-based. Please correct me if Im right.
More that stolen ships will be based on amount of ships shot by stealer ships guns.

And if the ships lost is resource based it would be nice of them if they would give a formula for it that gives any outcome close to the real outcome of battles.

hAl