User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 3 Oct 2014, 13:01   #1
Bob_Hunk

Bob_Hunk is an unknown quantity at this point
New Mechanic: Subvert

I saw it mentioned in another thread that there was a vague desire to shake things up a bit for R60 by perhaps introducing another race or ship mechanic. So how about...

'Subvert' Type

Ships with the subvert type temporarily steal enemy ships for a single Tick of combat. The subverted ships switch sides and fight for the subverter fleet for the combat, then return to their original owner after all combat (including Roid capture) is complete. The temporary swapping would not effect player's respective values/scores.

I imagine subvert ships would generally (but not always) fire after EMP but before Normal. People may have to think twice about using Pods as defensive flak!

The only thing that needs a bit of thought is whether the temporarily subverted ships could be stolen back or not, as that'd be pretty harsh on Ziks, effectively forcing them to expend steal ships to get their own ships back!

This could be mixed in with existing races, or given to a brand new race as their main 'gimmick', mixed in with Normal ships of course.

Just an idea.
Unread 3 Oct 2014, 14:37   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: New Mechanic: Subvert

I wasn't around at the time, but I vaguely recall hearing people say that subvert was removed because it caused major balancing issues.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2014, 14:51   #3
Bob_Hunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastet View Post
Hey Bob, that's not technically new :P.

That's how Zik ships used to be in t'olden days. They used to temporarily subvert ships, which (if they survived) reverted back to their former owner post-battle.
It was? Whoops, sorry, I probably should have remembered that!
Unread 3 Oct 2014, 15:22   #4
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

EDIT

Going back to the wiki, it was used two rounds: 11 and 12, the "1up" rounds.

I remember it being quite terrible, and a huge PITA to DC (I was a scanner/DC in 1up and ran a BG).

In r11, Subvert fired before EMP, in r12, it fired after EMP. Both rounds were ST.

The r11 planet ranks don't include race, but r12 do http://www.clawofdarkness.com/pawiki...2:Planet_Ranks

Utterly useless since r3

Last edited by Cochese; 3 Oct 2014 at 15:34.
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2014, 20:15   #5
Bob_Hunk

Thanks Cochese, ok, I think this can safely dismissed as a terrible idea then, haha!
Unread 4 Oct 2014, 03:04   #6
Patrikc

Patrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant future

It's not a terrible idea, just incredibly hard to implement and/or balance properly. The idea itself is quite intriguing!
Patrikc is offline   Reply With Quote