User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 17 May 2004, 02:40   #1
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts
So American Who Wants to be A 'Super' millionaire...

For $10,000

In George Orwell's book "Animal Farm" which tyrannical leader was one of the pigs named after?

A) Atilla
B) Moussolini
C) Napolean
D) Charlemagne

Now at this point my gf remarks, you know being american I bet she hasn't read any books and won't even know the answer to this.

Contestant : "omg I don't know, can I ask the audience?"

At this point my gf remarks, I wonder how many of the audience even knows this.

Audience : C (57%)

Heh was all I can say.

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2004, 02:55   #2
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: So American Who Wants to be A 'Super' millionaire...

I know things that people dont

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2004, 03:21   #3
KraKto$is8
Lurker

KraKto$is8 is infamous around these parts

Did she win?
Unread 17 May 2004, 03:30   #4
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

Its C.

Does that help you?
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2004, 03:38   #5
KraKto$is8
Lurker

No, knowledge of the answer does not lead to knowledge of what the contestant said.
Unread 17 May 2004, 06:05   #6
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

I think the fact for that such a well read book, the fact that only 2 of the answers could be described as tyrannical dictators and the fact 43% of the american demographic that night still couldn't tell, is rather telling.

And no she lost, best question of the night was, Which of these cities are not in iraq.

God that was such a winner.

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit

Unread 17 May 2004, 06:26   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen
I think the fact for that such a well read book, the fact that only 2 of the answers could be described as tyrannical dictators and the fact 43% of the american demographic that night still couldn't tell, is rather telling.
Which weren't tyrannical

[edit]

Plus it's the kind of thing you may well not remember, especially since it's a while since you've read the book.

Last edited by MrL_JaKiri; 17 May 2004 at 06:31.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2004, 07:11   #8
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

I havent read the book, nor has anybody I know, I've never mentioned it in coversation with anybody.

I still knew it was C though. Theres a lesson there somewhere.
Unread 17 May 2004, 07:15   #9
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Maybe more people have seen the animated version in the UK than in America. I know it's been on TV loads of times.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2004, 09:05   #11
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The American population, unsurprisingly, has more common knowledge regarding American matters.

I was playing "Jeopardy Deluxe" on a SNES emulator the other day, and I did awfully. Why? Because I don't know what state celebrates Andrew Jacksons birthday or whatever else. I'm not particularly ashamed of this. Similarly Americans not knowing a character in a British book is not particularly shameful.
Unread 17 May 2004, 09:26   #12
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

The last time I read the book was 8 years ago and I got the answer right.
Do I win a million dollars now?
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2004, 12:39   #13
KraKto$is8
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids
I havent read the book, nor has anybody I know, I've never mentioned it in coversation with anybody.

I still knew it was C though. Theres a lesson there somewhere.
That you googled for it?
Unread 17 May 2004, 13:08   #14
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I wonder what percentage of British people could name the characters in a work of classic american fiction such as Huck Finn or On The Road.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2004, 16:19   #15
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

BACKFIRE
Unread 17 May 2004, 18:01   #16
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
For $10,000

In George Orwell's book "Animal Farm" which tyrannical leader was one of the pigs named after?

A) Atilla
B) Moussolini
C) Napolean
D) Charlemagne

Now at this point my gf remarks, you know being american I bet she hasn't read any books and won't even know the answer to this.

Contestant : "omg I don't know, can I ask the audience?"

At this point my gf remarks, I wonder how many of the audience even knows this.

Audience : C (57%)

Heh was all I can say.
Oh noes, last I checked your GF lived in America as well.

BTW, I knew it was C, of couse I went to private school and not our shitty, but according to the Teacher Union doing a wonderful job, public schools.

Also, since when did European books become the need know of the world.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2004, 18:08   #17
Evergreen
the merciless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I wonder what percentage of British people could name the characters in a work of classic american fiction such as Huck Finn or On The Road.
Animal Farm is considerably more up there than those titles.

With regards to american fiction, Of Mice and Men, The Grapes of Wrath etc common reading material in the English Cirriculum in the UK.

As for the Jeopardy thing, isn't that creepier that they believe the only affairs that are important to learn from are their own? It leaves them rather open to repeating the mistakes of other cultures further down the line heh heh.

Unread 17 May 2004, 18:09   #18
Intrepid00

I thought Evergreen lived America. Shouldn't it be now "It leaves us..."
Unread 17 May 2004, 18:27   #19
Evergreen
the merciless

I reside here but I am not North American, and no I'm not trying to disown it like your idiotic 3rd/4th generation immigrated foreigners who REALLY ARE NORTH AMERICAN. I only moved here in January and as such I have been shaped and formulated by my 23 and a half years of living and being raised and educated in scotland.

The end.

Unread 17 May 2004, 18:53   #20
Intrepid00

Obviously your GF, which has lived in America. What? Her whole life?
Unread 17 May 2004, 19:13   #21
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Animal Farm is considerably more up there than those titles.

With regards to american fiction, Of Mice and Men, The Grapes of Wrath etc common reading material in the English Cirriculum in the UK.
I couldnt name any characters from the Grapes of Wrath, oh well I guess I am dumb and uneducated.
Unread 17 May 2004, 19:15   #22
Dante Hicks
Clerk

That's because you don't listen to enough Rage Against the Machine.

(i.e., the Ghost of Tom Joad!)
Unread 17 May 2004, 19:19   #23
Evergreen
the merciless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid00
Obviously your GF, which has lived in America. What? Her whole life?
She lives in canada, part of the commonwealth. They learn things like french here and world affairs and don't abuse human rights.

Unread 17 May 2004, 19:20   #24
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future

bottom line so far, it is all dependend of your demand.

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2004, 19:22   #25
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: So American Who Wants to be A 'Super' millionaire...

It seems to me that television game shows have a strong incentive to feature mediocre contestants answering questions of only moderate difficulty, as a means of engaging the viewing audience. Most people want to believe they are of above-average intelligence and what better way to play to this vanity than by watching contestants struggle with questions to which most of the viewers at home know the answers.

Judging by the popularity of these shows, it appears to work.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2004, 19:27   #26
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

A quick quote from last week's Private Eye would seem to show British people (or quiz-show contestants at least...) are equally stupid:
Eamonn Holmes: What year is the title of a famous book by George Orwell?
Contestant: 1949

Anne Robinson: What year did the first world war end?
C: 1948
Unread 17 May 2004, 19:52   #27
Evergreen
the merciless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
It seems to me that television game shows have a strong incentive to feature mediocre contestants answering questions of only moderate difficulty, as a means of engaging the viewing audience. Most people want to believe they are of above-average intelligence and what better way to play to this vanity than by watching contestants struggle with questions to which most of the viewers at home know the answers.

Judging by the popularity of these shows, it appears to work.
The fact they also managed to pick a 200 member audience who are equally dumb amused me too.

Unread 17 May 2004, 19:53   #28
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
The fact they also managed to pick a 200 member audience who are equally dumb amused me too.
Same situation.
Unread 18 May 2004, 03:17   #29
Intrepid00

Quote:
She lives in canada, part of the commonwealth. They learn things like french here and world affairs and don't abuse human rights.
Holy shit, they must not teach them how to read a map though.

PS Oh Really

http://www.amnesty.ca/IndigenousPeop...eoples+Actions
Unread 18 May 2004, 04:14   #30
Stealth
Potentate

Stealth is an unknown quantity at this point

It's funny how most 'elitists' I find on the net are either from England, or that general vicinity....

From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 May 2004, 08:27   #31
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth
It's funny how most 'elitists' I find on the net are either from England, or that general vicinity....
There are lots of "elitist" americans about.
Unread 18 May 2004, 12:56   #32
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future

it is funny how people on the net put everything and everybody in a box.

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 May 2004, 13:00   #33
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin
it is funny how people on the net put everything and everybody in a box.
That must be a big box.
Unread 18 May 2004, 13:22   #34
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Can someone explain to me why it is necessary for one of the largest countries in the world which has a plethora of its own affairs, A nation which is traditainonally isolationist in its outlook and a nation which considers itself to be (and is) at the height of world power with no real need for much interaction with other nations if it so chooses....should learn about the culture/news/books/entertainment of other countries?

Im British. I know about american culture. I know squat about German/Belgian/Japanese etc culture.

I dont know because i dont care. I dont care because these countries seem unimportant to me. (maybe not germany but hey).

Its the same for Americans.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 May 2004, 13:25   #35
Dante Hicks
Clerk

They should know so they'll "appreciate" more (lol) the movies they make out of British books.
Unread 18 May 2004, 13:26   #36
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

p.s.

sunday : just because someone freezes up when trying to remember a childrens book on national television doesnt mean they represent the combined knowledge of an entire society.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 May 2004, 13:34   #37
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
sunday : just because someone freezes up when trying to remember a childrens book on national television doesnt mean they represent the combined knowledge of an entire society.
Animal Farm isn't strictly speaking a childrens' book.

It's subtitled 'A Fairy Tale', but then The Man Who Was Thursday is similar in several respects, but that's not a childrens' book by any stretch of the imagination.
Unread 18 May 2004, 14:37   #38
Nodrog

Quote:
Can someone explain to me why it is necessary for one of the largest countries in the world which has a plethora of its own affairs, A nation which is traditainonally isolationist in its outlook and a nation which considers itself to be (and is) at the height of world power with no real need for much interaction with other nations if it so chooses....should learn about the culture/news/books/entertainment of other countries?
Why would you care a priori about your own nation's 'culture' either? Surely a rational person would look around for the material that best catered to their tastes and values rather than restricting themself to goods primarily from the country in which they reside. Someone who uses nationalism as an excuse to only partake in the "culture/news/books/entertainment" produced by those who live within a set amount of miles from his present location is ignorant, regardless of the country he is from.
Unread 18 May 2004, 15:32   #39
Intrepid00

Can't say I really liked Animal Farm to be honest:/
Unread 18 May 2004, 18:00   #40
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Culture is overrated anyway.
So is analog communication.
I'm awaiting the age of brainplugs and the ability to download all this useless information to my head.
Unread 18 May 2004, 18:20   #41
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'm also waiting for that day, SI.
Unread 18 May 2004, 18:38   #42
Evergreen
the merciless

Quote:
p.s.

They didn't freeze up, they genuinely didn't know.

As for Current American affairs, perhaps this question was more appropriate for displaying the ignorance, the following question was, which of these cities is not a city in iraq, (they gave the name of three cities in iraq that have been involved in the news with regards to the US military and also gave an afghanistan city) She pot lucked it.

I think for sure that the people who write the questions for this show, aren't try to give people at home questions they know the answers too (cause as it scaled beyond $60k it got rather hard) but more that they are bitter enlightened Canadians or Americans :P

I guess in the end it's a have to see it thing.