User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 13 Mar 2004, 16:26   #1
KraKto$is8
Lurker

KraKto$is8 is infamous around these parts
Alternative to Outlook Express

It's shit, I want a replacement. What would you recommend? Something that can deal with HTTP mail like Yahoo and Hotmail too plz.
Unread 13 Mar 2004, 16:35   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Alternative to Outlook Express

Use webmail. I do.

ps.

Opera.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Mar 2004, 16:38   #3
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Eudora?
Unread 13 Mar 2004, 16:53   #4
G_frog
Look over there!

G_frog is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

Sufficiently similar that you won't miss anything from Outlook, and it's easy to get used to; sufficiently different not to be a security risk; and an improvement on outlook express in many ways.
Unread 13 Mar 2004, 17:21   #5
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Except none of those three fulfill his one requirement?
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Mar 2004, 17:22   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
Except none of those three fulfill his one requirement?
You're saying that a webbrowser can't use webmail now?

WOAH
Unread 13 Mar 2004, 17:24   #7
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
You're saying that a webbrowser can't use webmail now?

WOAH
You didn't say "a webbrowser", you said webmail. And fine, but I was referring to the three mentioned above, not four.

edit: oh, misread, you mean Opera + webmail rather than M2 as an e-mail client. Still, name a webmail service that can access Yahoo/Hotmail HTTPmail. (I'd actually quite like one if anyone knows)

Last edited by queball; 13 Mar 2004 at 17:29.
Unread 13 Mar 2004, 17:38   #8
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I dont think you can access your yahoo mail account from a POP client unless you pay extra.

edit: yeah its $20 a year.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Mar 2004, 17:42   #9
queball
Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I dont think you can access your yahoo mail account from a POP client unless you pay extra.

edit: yeah its $20 a year.
Right, so can anyone suggest an HTTPmail client that isn't OE?
Unread 13 Mar 2004, 17:44   #10
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Right, so can anyone suggest an HTTPmail client that isn't OE?
I think that would be violating the terms of services of your yahoo account.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Mar 2004, 17:54   #11
queball
Ball

Quote:
I think that would be violating the terms of services of your yahoo account.
I don't think their ToS says anything about it , but Yahoo don't provide it anyway, on a second look. :-/
Unread 14 Mar 2004, 00:00   #12
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

ePrompter

it's freeware and does POP3, hotmail, yahoo, etc...

(I don't actually use it, though I used to a couple of years ago, and can't remember why I stopped. Maybe it was because it looked crap, and was a bit simplistic)

EDIT I just downloaded it, set it up.... it still looks crap but it does the job

Last edited by 1-X; 14 Mar 2004 at 00:48.
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Mar 2004, 00:11   #13
G_frog
Look over there!

Quote:
I only have a free yahoo account. It turns out I can, and do, check it and other accounts every day with Thunderbird. Flavius, I don't know what you mean about it being slow, it loads and connects as fast as Outlook Express once you have told it to do so automagically.

And can't you people use the internet?
Unread 14 Mar 2004, 01:27   #14
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius
You see, some people still have archaic computers. As such, Thunderbird runs awfully slow on my PIII 733mhz. This might also because I have over 1000 emails on it.
You're complaining like someone I'm aware of who was annoyed that their hard drive was full. Of course, they refused to fit another, and it turned out that there was 30 gigs of bitmaps, but what the hey.
Unread 14 Mar 2004, 03:10   #15
queball
Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_frog
I only have a free yahoo account. It turns out I can, and do, check it and other accounts every day with Thunderbird. Flavius, I don't know what you mean about it being slow, it loads and connects as fast as Outlook Express once you have told it to do so automagically.

And can't you people use the internet?
That's cool, but how do you use your Yahoo account? That only says Hotmail.
Unread 14 Mar 2004, 04:29   #16
queball
Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-X
ePrompter

it's freeware and does POP3, hotmail, yahoo, etc...

(I don't actually use it, though I used to a couple of years ago, and can't remember why I stopped. Maybe it was because it looked crap, and was a bit simplistic)

EDIT I just downloaded it, set it up.... it still looks crap but it does the job
Ooh, excellent.
Unread 14 Mar 2004, 17:14   #17
G_frog
Look over there!

Quote:
That's cool, but how do you use your Yahoo account? That only says Hotmail.
pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk