User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 24 Mar 2005, 11:10   #101
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Special Asteroids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
Another problem is - what if someone with the minimum number of roids has a golden roid - he can keep it for the whole round without being roided and hence win the prize.
It would be much more beneficial from his point of view to leave that asteroid and go for an extra 5 roids or more.

Secondly, I didn't know there was a minimum number of roids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
I have an idea to lower some of the potential problems:

If you have a golden roid you have the ability to teleport it away from your planet to a random planet - pass the hot potato so to speak (BUT you cannot do this while unyou have incoming hostile fleets at less than eta 5)

A prize of 1 credit is given to the people who held onto the roid for the longest so people would not want teleport it away, but could if needed
This doesn't change my views on the fact that the roid is a bad idea, but it would help solve the problems I gave notice to. If I already had it, I probably would want to keep it for as long as I could, but I would certainly try my best not to capture it in the first place.

However, I feel its more of a 'bandage for a bullet wound' scenario, (if thats the correct phrasing?)
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 11:10   #102
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloopy
Who realisitically roids to get the Special Roid and then somehow ends up with 3 of each type to avoid the 25% cap? That's not going to happen.

As for teleporting, again it's making it complicated in my eye. I loved the original idea that Bashar outlined earlier, it's sound and simple and everyone has control over if they get it (they can choose not to attack). Bringing teleporting in it could end up on a planet who -really- doesn't want it. And it could also end up on a planet that -really- wants it and who it'd be hard to retrieve off of.
once the roid ends up at a semi decent planet though it could well be being targetted normally so people may be forced to attack it and possibly get the roid and then be a drain on their alliance - this could specifically be a problem for the alliance ranked from say 8-15 who may be struggling with defence calls allready.

If it were teleported to someone that didnl;t want it they could allways teleport it away again.

I think perhaps u misunderstand the problem with the minimum number of roids.. Assuming a uniform probability distribution it is possible that the roid will allways be in that bottom region that never gets capped so if someone was roided to the ground in theory they could keep the roid forever - i know the probabilities are small, but it IS possible

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 11:14   #103
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of

Yes, it's possible, but who on earth gets roided down to 9 roids. The people doign the roiding will hit the bash limit long before, and name me a planet that roided down to 9 can't find free roids from inactive planets to get back up above 9?
Kloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 11:23   #104
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

maybe he doens;t want to get back up - maybe he is a scum bag who will kepe the roid

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 24 Mar 2005, 11:26   #105
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge
I am not convinced it is a good idea.
If your reasoning of why it is a bad idea is that no one would want the special roids, then logic dictates that no one will attempt to roid 1:1 to take the special roids. In that case, the problem disappears.

If someone does roid 1:1, and people then converge on his or her planet to take the special roid, they must surely realize quickly that having the special roid is actually a bad thing, and therefore recall. But again, we have the paradox! If it's bad to have the roid because you get incoming, then no one will want the roid, and the owner won't get incoming, so it'll be good to have it.

I suspect you all just plan to get the roid early, but spread propaganda that it's bad to have the roid to protect yourselves.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 11:27   #106
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

kal can i have a free mug or not

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 11:31   #107
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
maybe he doens;t want to get back up - maybe he is a scum bag who will kepe the roid
Assuming a person has 200* roids, they must be roided 11 times to reach a state of immunity. Each time they are roided there is a 75% chance they keep the roid. Compounded, this is a 4% chance of keeping the special roid. Yes, someone could end up with an uncappable special roid. And could wait out the game with it. It's a high risk/high reward tactic. I don't see the problem.

*Considering this is the minimum people initiatite up to, it is not an unreasonable assumption. In fact, a more reasonable one would be higher since people have to cap to get the special roid.
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 11:43   #108
god113
Ex-Player

god113 has a spectacular aura aboutgod113 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
Are top alliances magical? Members of top alliances never lose roids? And they don't lose roids to non-top alliances?

I'll grant this: they get roided more by eachother than others. But think of how cool it would be if some lower ranked* alliance launched a few concentrated waves in an attempt to capture a special roid. Then defended it aggressively. Top alliances are set in their ways, they're going to be playing for Nr1. Other alliances now have something more than just 'another rank' to play for.

*What's the opposite of a top alliance?
Yes it would be extremely fun to have lil alliances do lemming runs for it

It seems like a plague to those who can't defend themselves (and so can't keep it), and a superly wicked bonus for those who can defend themselves (big alliances :P). It would deffinately require a proper beta before implemented... to see IF it does just stay with the top-dogs*, or if it does actually get spread around because people want it so much.

*Sorry for the really lame phrase.
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 13:17   #109
Kal
Inactive peon

the Golden Asteroids have been uploaded

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 24 Mar 2005, 13:21   #110
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

ooooh looks weird.

Unread 24 Mar 2005, 13:48   #111
Conall
There is a better answer

Conall will become famous soon enoughConall will become famous soon enough

I would not put them all on 1 planet. Spread them out among 1:1. If not a single attacker could, in theory, get them all in one raid.

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
Sir Winston Churchill
Conall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 13:51   #112
Kal
Inactive peon

they will be moved

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 24 Mar 2005, 13:54   #113
noah02
The Original Terran

Damn Terran are gonna have no chance of getting them that earlier on hehe damn xans and there fighters will be there asap.

/me builds harpys and pheonix to defend 1.1

Unread 24 Mar 2005, 16:14   #114
berten
respect, unity, order

berten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the rough

smells alot like the amulet system in another game tbh

i liked it there tough
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 17:52   #115
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of

Right, the Special Roids are distributed amongst 1:1. Also, the Universe Misc page now allows you to see their History, as was intended in my earlier upload.
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 18:03   #116
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
If your reasoning of why it is a bad idea is that no one would want the special roids, then logic dictates that no one will attempt to roid 1:1 to take the special roids. In that case, the problem disappears.

If someone does roid 1:1, and people then converge on his or her planet to take the special roid, they must surely realize quickly that having the special roid is actually a bad thing, and therefore recall. But again, we have the paradox! If it's bad to have the roid because you get incoming, then no one will want the roid, and the owner won't get incoming, so it'll be good to have it.

I suspect you all just plan to get the roid early, but spread propaganda that it's bad to have the roid to protect yourselves.

It may well be logical that no one would want it for the reasons I suggested, but unfortunately not everyone has the same outlook. Every lamer and his mates will be in on a chance of it, just so they can sit and polish it all day long.

I plan on ignoring it, seems to me whatever the alleged benifits it will soon become a curse.

Last edited by Judge; 24 Mar 2005 at 18:46.
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 19:24   #117
TeK
I Dislike carDi

TeK has a spectacular aura aboutTeK has a spectacular aura about

This honestly needs to be the worst idea ive ever seen come up through the minds of even a creator. Since the new layout, PA CREW has bin aiming to help the un-experienced, more then those who know what there doing. In all my rounds of PA, ive never bin cohersed to attack any planet in 1:1 other then the lame quests during the r6ish times. Golden roids has to come as the biggest joke of a round by far. I dont get why every round you make so many changes, why not stick with a base format of a previous round but elaborate on ship stats?
TeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2005, 19:45   #118
noah02
The Original Terran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeK
This honestly needs to be the worst idea ive ever seen come up through the minds of even a creator. Since the new layout, PA CREW has bin aiming to help the un-experienced, more then those who know what there doing. In all my rounds of PA, ive never bin cohersed to attack any planet in 1:1 other then the lame quests during the r6ish times. Golden roids has to come as the biggest joke of a round by far. I dont get why every round you make so many changes, why not stick with a base format of a previous round but elaborate on ship stats?
coz we will all get bored having the same old same old.

Like kal and Kloopy said if it becomes that much of a problem or no one wants it after actually using it then they will remove it as easy as they put it in

Can't hurt to try even though I don't agree with the idea either as I have said before.

Unread 24 Mar 2005, 19:45   #119
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeK
I dont get why every round you make so many changes, why not stick with a base format of a previous round but elaborate on ship stats?
Because then there's accusations of stagnation to allow the 'élite' to retain their strong position, as we have seen in societies throughout the ages.

I do kinda like the idea of these 'special roids', but not in a serious way, it is a game after all. Though as a percentage resource benefit they give larger players the greatest bonus, players that are more likely to be able to keep the thing as I assume each round of full capping only gives you a 25% chance of taking it, and it is far harder to get multiple waves through on a bigger target.

Maybe a set bonus, instead of a percentage one for the individual resources, so it would be more beneficial to smaller players and less beneficial to bigger ones? And maybe something like a lump XP bonus for every day you keep it, a bonus calculated on the size of your alliance in relation to the size of the top alliance. Or something like that?

I see these as some sort of golden prize for those alliances who don't really have the strength to influence the 'major' wars.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Mar 2005, 00:14   #120
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts

dont like as i think it will be a case of "have it and be bashed for the next 2 days", especially with 2000 ppl getting 6 of them
Played r4-present missing only 1 round so sad...
Rc mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Mar 2005, 01:11   #121
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeK
Since the new layout, PA CREW has bin aiming to help the un-experienced, more then those who know what there doing
It's logical to help those who need help, and not those who don't....

Quote:
In all my rounds of PA, ive never bin cohersed to attack any planet in 1:1 other then the lame quests during the r6ish times. Golden roids has to come as the biggest joke of a round by far
If it's out of (read: below) your league, then it probably shouldn't concern you since it won't have any effect on your experience during r13.

Quote:
I dont get why every round you make so many changes, why not stick with a base format of a previous round but elaborate on ship stats?
Constantly improving your product is part of running a business. If you want to play the same old game over and over every round, "that certain clone game" hasn't evolved in it's entire history.

Unfortunately, it's that same lack of progress and evolution that makes it suck so hard.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Mar 2005, 01:35   #122
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

I love the idea...
Unread 25 Mar 2005, 02:43   #123
Lewisb

anyway of making the holder of said roids appear differently on pages like gal + uni ?
but otherwise a groovy idea.
1:1 better code in some PDS for there planets ;D
Unread 25 Mar 2005, 06:18   #124
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc mayhem
dont like as i think it will be a case of "have it and be bashed for the next 2 days", especially with 2000 ppl getting 6 of them
Then don't get it.
Unread 25 Mar 2005, 08:27   #125
Sjor

Sjor is a splendid one to beholdSjor is a splendid one to beholdSjor is a splendid one to beholdSjor is a splendid one to beholdSjor is a splendid one to beholdSjor is a splendid one to beholdSjor is a splendid one to behold

Can we have a beer or OuZo roid plz?

Prod to not have been in many alliances
Sjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Mar 2005, 09:16   #126
Kloopy
-Back Again-

There was one idea... "The Leet Roid". For the owner of it, all the text on every page would be written in l33tsp34k. Granted it'd mess up the parsers. But we thought it'd be a good way to introduce a bad roid into the game that doesn't detrement the balance of Planetarion.

Woo!
Unread 25 Mar 2005, 11:39   #127
Kal
Inactive peon

heh

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 25 Mar 2005, 13:00   #128
Brimstone
Retired PeOn

Brimstone is a jewel in the roughBrimstone is a jewel in the roughBrimstone is a jewel in the rough

All i can say is, this has got to be one of the most interesting April Fools jokes ever contemplated by PA-Crew. HA. HA.

Brimstone
Unread 25 Mar 2005, 13:08   #129
Sovereign
the-Sov-Maister

Sovereign is infamous around these partsSovereign is infamous around these partsSovereign is infamous around these partsSovereign is infamous around these parts

i think its crap... the only guys who will hold these roids are top alliances/planets, they will get even more rediculously powerfull and will outscore the other alliances/planets. And ofcourse they will do anything in theyr power to keep them roids within the alliance...

What am i playing super mario with his special shrooms?! I hate nintendo ffs!!!
RANDOM: Ni!
Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Mar 2005, 13:27   #130
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign
i think its crap... the only guys who will hold these roids are top alliances/planets, they will get even more rediculously powerfull and will outscore the other alliances/planets. And ofcourse they will do anything in theyr power to keep them roids within the alliance...

Which is why I think a set bonus would probably be better. 25k extra metal per tick or something, depending on how far you're into the game. First 500 ticks, it gives you 2.5k metal, 500-1000 10k, 1000-1500 15k, or something. It would make it too much effort for some of the bigger players, whereas a 5% bonus to a top player who's getting ~1 mil of each res would only serve to enlarge the gap between top and lower players.
Unread 25 Mar 2005, 13:56   #131
Gate
;D!

Quote:
Nope.. no special roids at all. If i wanted to play a platform and get special abilities, i'd do just that. Imo the races and stats make the game exiting and chalenging enuf.

Besides, "Golden Roids" LMAO, whoever invented that name should be considdered dangerous for his lack of fantasy
I can see both sides of the argument, but I think it would be just perfect if it was made so it was something the main alliances would consider 'below' committing forces too, and could be a set of aims for the smaller galaxies or alliances.

I remember the amazing sense of achievement in PaX as an alliance which was barely top 10 (NewDawn \o/ ) successfully tricked and roided the top player (who was in the top alliance...) with FR. It was only 204 roids, but the attack planning, and the few minutes before the tick passed were some of the tensest and funniest I've ever had in PA, and it really made my round, leading to the massively over-inflated ego I have today

I think this sort of thing would give the smaller alliances something more fun and interesting to scrap over.
Unread 25 Mar 2005, 14:44   #132
noah02
The Original Terran

Quote:

guess you wont be joining 1up then lol

Unread 25 Mar 2005, 14:46   #133
noah02
The Original Terran

Quote:
Besides, "Golden Roids" LMAO, whoever invented that name should be considdered dangerous for his lack of fantasy
so what would you call it %5 mining roid?
chicken roid?
university degree roid?
Sovereign roid?
kentucky fried roid?

Unread 25 Mar 2005, 16:19   #134
Gate
;D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
kentucky fried roid?
YES!

I suppose he was thinking something along the lines of 'antimatter roid' or something similarly sci-fi.

If we wanted the backstory to be serious and scientifically possible (possibly, not probable ), it would make perfect sense. Roids constructed purely of antimatter that somehow survived annihalation during the big bang, and these can then be used as a near infinite power source to fuel better mining, production, construction etc. How the fk you intend to manipulate these roids when they have no net magnetic charge, and would annihalate a pod on contact, I have nfi, but we could just be good physicists and invent 'dark pods' or something like that.
Unread 25 Mar 2005, 16:23   #135
god113
Ex-Player

god113 has a spectacular aura aboutgod113 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate
Which is why I think a set bonus would probably be better. 25k extra metal per tick or something, depending on how far you're into the game. First 500 ticks, it gives you 2.5k metal, 500-1000 10k, 1000-1500 15k, or something. It would make it too much effort for some of the bigger players, whereas a 5% bonus to a top player who's getting ~1 mil of each res would only serve to enlarge the gap between top and lower players.
I would agree with this.
Unread 25 Mar 2005, 19:46   #136
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There was one idea... "The Leet Roid". For the owner of it, all the text on every page would be written in l33tsp34k. Granted it'd mess up the parsers. But we thought it'd be a good way to introduce a bad roid into the game that doesn't detrement the balance of Planetarion.

Woo!

I do believe I'd delete my account if I got such a roid :/

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Mar 2005, 22:14   #137
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese
I do believe I'd delete my account if I got such a roid :/

Unfortunately the option to delete has been removed.

Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Mar 2005, 23:51   #138
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

Quote:

Woo!

God help us all.
Unread 26 Mar 2005, 10:20   #139
LBarto88

LBarto88 is an unknown quantity at this point

what if there were "x" number of special roids and whomever attained one of these roids could then set what the roid could do. this would work like engineering, every "x" ammount of ticks

sorry if this was mentioned before, i got halfway down on the second page, and its now 4:15 in the morning.. (eastern)
LBarto88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2005, 10:43   #140
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
I do think the location should be shown all the time, otherwise they're just special roids for people.

If there is ONE zikonian in my alliance with such stuff in his pockets, and he does *not* possess proper targetting against pod classes (ie. hasn't managed to steal sufficient ships), h'll really be a constant drag to the defence command staff. Without 6-tick defences, people will end up attempting to defend him for his "Golden" incomings magnets with 24 fleets pro day. How amusing. Or then he'll just loose the damn thing.

My point being, the golden roids will become a real incomings-magnet. Zikonians form the greatest temptation to launch a pod fleet, and pod classes that aren't targetted heavily (ie. cruisers, battleships) are going to be launched in random fashion.

Especially if it could yield a 5% mining bonus. (which wasn't applied on the screenshot though).
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2005, 10:47   #141
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä
Especially if it could yield a 5% mining bonus. (which wasn't applied on the screenshot though).
Oh but it was...
Unread 26 Mar 2005, 18:58   #142
TeK
I Dislike carDi

TeK has a spectacular aura aboutTeK has a spectacular aura about

sorry cochese im not for a new idea that is added to a game without even being betad. Not to mention theres some people on here that talk about it but you will never have the roid. Look at it this way, the richer get richer while the poorer still get poorer. You actually think those who are not top in the alliance or defence whores will actually retain these roids? People will attack you just for it and they wont stop until they get it, now maybe you cant call people noob bashers,,, anyway i was thinking of playing but this is just getting to lame for me sorry if others like it, if i want to play a circus game id just go play ********.

edit: the forums sensor p*lanetia
TeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2005, 19:28   #143
Kloopy
-Back Again-

I still think it'll balance out. If everyone had the mentality that the incomings were well over the top and not worth the Special Roid bonuses, they'll not attack to get it. Therefore, the Special Roids will be left to the subset of the Universe which has interest in owning it. So if you don't like the feature, stear clear of the roids and play as usual. If however, you're open to a little change and some (hopeful) fun, then join the second group.
Unread 27 Mar 2005, 00:37   #144
Gate
;D!

Quote:
I still think it'll balance out. If everyone had the mentality that the incomings were well over the top and not worth the Special Roid bonuses, they'll not attack to get it. Therefore, the Special Roids will be left to the subset of the Universe which has interest in owning it. So if you don't like the feature, stear clear of the roids and play as usual. If however, you're open to a little change and some (hopeful) fun, then join the second group.
I still feel that a % bonus would make it attractive to the biggest players in the strongest alliances, and that this would encourage them to take it.

Once they have it, they're possibly gonna get the problems of a few easy-to-deal-with lemmingruns from comparitively miniscule players (easiest to deal with for no losses as a cath, or in some cases xan). The only people that would then be in a position to co-ordinate a strong enough attack to take the roid, would be similarly large players in similarly strong alliances, hence it's stuck within the 'top tier', as these are the only groups capable of defending said roids.

Maybe it's a diversion in aims, but I preferred the idea of this as something to give the smaller guys something to play for
Unread 27 Mar 2005, 02:51   #145
Tis
Lost the Fury... :(

Tis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud of

For once I actually agree with Tek, it will just make the strong stronger, as the weak wont be able to hold one. It may add a bit of interest for a little while, but that will give way to frustration i think. I find it odd that were discussing such a feature when we still have problems with buddy packs... you cant fix 2 person groups or beta them, but you can spend all this time tinkering with magic rocks?

Oh, i just skimmed most of the thread so i assume its been mentioned, if so ignore... if these things are capped like normal roids, can the be blown up like them too?
Tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2005, 06:26   #146
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

it seems like a good idea, but another exploitible variable. What if 1 person keeps the roids? He has unfair advantage. Until rd 12, I didn't get landed on for almost 2 rounds. :S seems its to late. But oh well.
Unread 27 Mar 2005, 07:43   #147
Fyodor
Behe

Fyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant future

I think its a great idea. If a small planet ever got his/her hands on it, they would be safe from incoming from the big boys and could induce a war of newbies, which would make the game more fun/interesting for them.
If a large planet got it, they are guarenteed lemming runs. If you cant defend it agaisnt lemming runs then you/your alliance shouldnt have it.
If you can, then I think itll catapult you to the top of the ranks from xp/points gained from killing the lemmings along with whatever salvage they bring. This in turn could effect the top spots.
And also bring alliances down as if they spend to many ships deffing it, it will open up defense holes elsewhere.

The only improvement I can think of to help to keep it out of the top alliances hands for a while is to activate/tell the universe who has them after say 125 ticks. This way if a noob has it, the big boys might be to big to hit them already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbagast
AND imagine the noob who accidently stumbles over this Wonder Roid..
- suddenly seeing 500 fleets on his screen all screaming for that super duper roid..

He's gonna be like a freaked out Frodo..

oh and not to think of..
should the ring..erm I mean the Wonder Roid fall into the the hands of Darkness!!
- to be used for evil deeds.
Such as hyper-escalate Sauron's already rapidly mass production of evil ships.. to crush all hope of Planetarions noble men and elves.. and dwarfs(hello tot)
this is the funniest thought ive read on these forums in a really long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbagast
HAHA yeah.. with 1st priority engineering on Production

I bet that's funny as shit when you're attacking somone..
SURPRISE

After having scanned the bastartd at eta 4 to see that he has not spent his resources and everything looks perfect to land without any losses.

Then suddenly...

BOoOOooOM!!

Suddenly your entire fleet is gone
and the hemoroid man is sitting there laughing at you!!
This is the second funniest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone
All i can say is, this has got to be one of the most interesting April Fools jokes ever contemplated by PA-Crew. HA. HA.
Brimstone
i think the real april fools is that shuffle isnt till april 2nd

I think this is the niftiest idea implemented in a long time, and im seriously considering playing the round trying to get my hands on those roids
Unread 27 Mar 2005, 17:27   #148
Sovereign
the-Sov-Maister

Sovereign is infamous around these partsSovereign is infamous around these partsSovereign is infamous around these partsSovereign is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
so what would you call it %5 mining roid?
chicken roid?
university degree roid?
Sovereign roid?
kentucky fried roid?
Well even IF theyd do me the honor of dedicatin a roid to me, im against the special roids idea anyway By the way... 1up ? Do they still exist ? hmmm Maybe they can dedicate a roid to them... the "if you get this roid AND are with 1up then you loose every roid, structure, research and ship"-roid

RANDOM: Ni!

Last edited by Sovereign; 27 Mar 2005 at 22:10.
Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2005, 11:09   #149
Infected

Infected is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, the whole concept seems fine to me, but I agree with some of the others that thease "golden roids" are too easy to find, how about making an update lagg, so that you only see where thease roids were, let's say 15 ticks ago?
Infected is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2005, 11:13   #150
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infected
Well, the whole concept seems fine to me, but I agree with some of the others that thease "golden roids" are too easy to find, how about making an update lagg, so that you only see where thease roids were, let's say 15 ticks ago?
I think it would be fair to make this time even longer, say 72 ticks.