User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 19 Sep 2005, 23:17   #1
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
Which router?

I've decided to just give up with my router problems - I'm presuming it's the actual router because not only does Azureus kill my connection (and it restores as soon as I shut it down - I've tried reducing the no. of cons but that hasn't worked) I'm also having all these problems when it'll just hang etc. - apparently though, during my research, "cheap D-Link" routers are supposedly fine, even with programs like Azureus open.

I've narrowed these down to the following (has to be 802.11b compliant).

http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Produ...-link%20router

Now only the more expensive version actually states in its specifications that it has SPI (Stateful Packet Information) which I understand the technology behind it to some level but is it really necessary paying that £20 (alongside other bits and bobs) extra for it? The £30 D-Link router looks to do the job but I want to be safe in the knowledge I can close down ZoneAlarm on this computer and Sygate on my sister's laptop. They all mention Firewall support but only the more expensive one actually states it has SPI too.

If anyone says Netgear 8G34G or whatever model, I've had mixed responses but there's commonly a BitTorrent problem with those routers where in most cases having to use a 3rd party firmware does the job in half of those cases and I'd prefer a certainty. Are D-Links reliable otherwise?
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2005, 01:40   #2
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Which router?

D-Links are reliable in my experience of them. I would still use a software firewall aswell as the router one as the software one stops outgoing and incoming traffic. Router firewalls only stop incoming. So if you already have some nasty file it can still communicate to the outside world.