User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 16 May 2003, 22:46   #1
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
Should I be worried about the intermittant grinding noise my cpu fan makes?

Every so often, my cpu fan makes what can only be described as a grinding noise, like there's a wire trapped in it. I know there's not a wire caught in it because I've had the side of the case off to look when it first started doing it. Now that I have broadband, my pc has been on pretty much constantly since I got it, I am a little concerned about the noise - it doesn't sound all that healthy. I'm tempted to go and buy a new fan for the heatsink.

How long do you reckon I've got before my motherboard melts.

nb: According to motherboard monitor, the cpu doesn't get hotter than 52 degrees while doing cpu intensive activity, i.e. gaming.
Unread 16 May 2003, 23:14   #2
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Bearings in fans last only so long, it'll probably be that although don't discount the possibility of there being dust and other crap lodged around the motor if the fan's less than 6months to a year old.

Buy a new fan, they're not expensive, though try cleaning things out first.
Unread 16 May 2003, 23:33   #3
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Actually, are you absolutely sure it's your CPU fan? I've had the bearings on PSU fans go before now, fan dies, leave it on long enough it just goes pop.

Unfortunate, that was.
Unread 17 May 2003, 00:23   #4
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
I'm sure that the noise was coming from the cpu fan, given that when i pressed the center of it with my finger, and pushed it in slightly - the noise stopped.

I'll order a new fan.
Unread 17 May 2003, 01:32   #5
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
you pushed it while it was spinning?

what heatsink/fan do you have anyway?
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2003, 01:34   #6
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
I must be cursed by the evil powersupply fan pixie, i've had several PSU's blow up after the fan died.

Funny tho \o/

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2003, 08:26   #7
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
I have the same thing occasionally. Some (I don't know which one) fan starts making a grinding noise and after a while it stops again.

Someone in a computer store told me once that it was caused by dust that gathers on the fan. The weight of the dust causes imbalance of the fan causing a grinding noise. After a while the fan finds its balance again and the noise stops.

Atleast, that's what they told me.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2003, 11:19   #8
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
I get the same problem every 6 montsh or so. As others have stated its just dust build up. You can try what Structural Integrity said as that does seem to sometimes work HOWEVER i have had a fan get so clogged up with dust that its had trouble spinning and caused my CPU to start to run dangourously hot (thankfully my mobo takes advantage of ASUS C.O.P feature that when coupled with an AMD Athlon XP chip will shut the machine down before it overheats)

I would personally advise a trip down somewhere like PC World to pick up a can of compressed air. Give the Fan a spray of this and it should clear all the dust thats trapped and solve the problem. If it doesnt then I would guess you have larger problems and will need a new fan
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2003, 20:32   #9
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Quote:
Originally posted by Luckeh!!!!
what heatsink/fan do you have anyway?
It's an amd approved Asaka jobbie.

Quote:
Originally posted by Wakey
I would personally advise a trip down somewhere like PC World to pick up a can of compressed air.
This is the winning option, however I think I will "borrow" a can of compressed air from work, instead of buying one from pc world.
Unread 18 May 2003, 12:25   #10
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Belgarath The Sorcerer
It's an amd approved Asaka jobbie.
Is it a boxed retail one or you bought it?
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 May 2003, 12:25   #11
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by MT
I must be cursed by the evil powersupply fan pixie, i've had several PSU's blow up after the fan died.

Funny tho \o/
Best time I saw that happen was during an IT inspection at our 6th form. Just as "ze men from ze government" were touring the pc lab, one of the PSUs in a machine went "bang" very loudly and belched black smoke.

Ahh, the humour.

Unread 18 May 2003, 18:13   #12
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Quote:
Originally posted by Luckeh!!!!
Is it a boxed retail one or you bought it?
I bought it, is this a problem?
Unread 18 May 2003, 18:48   #13
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
OH NOES!!! WE... WILL... ALL... DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111122
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 May 2003, 19:01   #14
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:

i think he's wondering if its the cheap crap that generally comes with the processor if you get it retail not oem, which in your case it doesnt appear to be.
NEWSBOT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 2003, 01:22   #15
Jorinn
Toyboy

Jorinn has a spectacular aura aboutJorinn has a spectacular aura about
One of my fans does the same, not sure which one, I find if i hit the side of my case it stops. Try it

My fan was purchased sepearately from the cpu (which was OEM) in January only, late january even, shouldn't really be causing a problem yet.
Unread 19 May 2003, 21:40   #16
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Well, I've hoovered the dust out of the fan, and it's still doing it...I'm going to buy a new fan/heatsink.
Unread 20 May 2003, 23:11   #17
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
Hoovering won't do jack, compressed air is the daddy.
Unread 23 May 2003, 03:33   #18
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Mine's done it for years and it hasn't blown up.

And it won't, as it's currently in the garage having been superceeded twice in the last year and a half.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote