User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 12 Jul 2004, 21:04   #1
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society
A seperate question to Jolt

Now that Karmulian has quit coding pateam what is happening with the new and promised r12.

Will we get it, or will we get a rehashed version of pax once more?
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jul 2004, 21:34   #2
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all
Re: A seperate question to Jolt

what relevance does karm quitting have? jolt canned the redevelopment ages ago anyway, they just didn't bother telling anyone

-mist
Unread 12 Jul 2004, 21:58   #3
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

'heh'.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jul 2004, 23:32   #4
biffy
Jolt PA Liaison

biffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the rough

Currently r12 and related development is in the hands of Spinner and those members of PA Team who have shown an interest in contributing to it.
Unread 13 Jul 2004, 00:49   #5
Quazi Starbucks
Heh

Quazi Starbucks is an unknown quantity at this point

So thats just spinner then
Quazi Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2004, 02:15   #6
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

from previous experience, the pateam generally shows interest, however afaik none of the remaining members are coders. judging from r10 comments, i dunno how much in the way of ideas spinner has/will be discussing with them tho.

will r12 be significantly different from this round, or a further development of pax?

-mist
Unread 13 Jul 2004, 05:47   #7
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

This is idd a very good question. Funny that Biffy's answer immediatly passed the buck. Biffy, as far as you know, will we be playing another upgraded PAX next round? Or a big new development. Or was round 11 our big new development? I hope not. As there was little change play wise betwenn 10.5 and 11.
Unread 13 Jul 2004, 11:36   #8
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

on the private pateam forums we have a nice list of possible round 12 features, which inclides all features which have previously been agreed will be in round 12, as well as other ones that people have asked for. So the community is not being ignored and round 12 should end up being a big improvement on this round.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2004, 13:04   #9
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

How many times have we heard that in the last 4 and a half years.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2004, 13:23   #10
mist
Jolt's best friend

he's telling the truth.

however how much of it will get implimented is always a question. there's only so much time etc and with things like having to rewrite to get rid of the radom travel time i can't see too much else getting done with spinner being part time and the only coder.

perhaps publishing the to do list is the way forward? if it's all been suggested before then noone can steal it, and you might get some useful implimentation type suggestions

-mist
Unread 13 Jul 2004, 14:47   #11
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Maybe Jolt should start paying Spinner so we can get a more decent version of Planetarion again. Volunteers work because they love the game, however, there's not much left people could love about the game - especially not after what has been made public lately.
Unread 13 Jul 2004, 14:57   #12
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

spinner has other commitments, he isnt able to work full time atm.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 13 Jul 2004, 16:18   #13
Eventh
Retired?

Eventh is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
perhaps publishing the to do list is the way forward? if it's all been suggested before then noone can steal it, and you might get some useful implimentation type suggestions
1. Put a strong license on the code, and then put it public somewhere.
2. Let people submit patches to the game.
3. Form a team with coders who evalute and validates the code.
4. Let spinner have the finaly word on if the code is good enough to use or not.
5. Add the patches.
Eventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2004, 17:03   #14
mist
Jolt's best friend

spinner is paid...

-mist
Unread 13 Jul 2004, 17:38   #15
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

tbh there is quite a while until round 12, lots of this round still to go, so plenty of time to decide things.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2004, 18:45   #16
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

have i gone insane or do i remember a post *somewhere* about at least 2 coders working with the pa team, who preferred to hide their identity?
Appocomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2004, 20:08   #17
mist
Jolt's best friend

yeh. they were working for free, but jolt decided it wanted greater control over the code base so asked them to stop and got spinner in part time instead

-mist
Unread 13 Jul 2004, 20:26   #18
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
yeh. they were working for free, but jolt decided it wanted greater control over the code base so asked them to stop and got spinner in part time instead

-mist
Why Spinner? I thought he was an amateur at coding. He'd be my first choice for a lot of things, but as I recall correctly coding wouldn't be it.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2004, 20:39   #19
mist
Jolt's best friend

because pax already existed, so coding new mods to that was viewed as a simpler alternative to writing a totally new game engine, would be my guess.

plus, i've no idea if spinner's a competent coder or not. on the main his stuff seems to work, so he can't be that poor

-mist
Unread 13 Jul 2004, 20:52   #20
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Spinner can code so no worries there, after all he did code PAX as well as the Football Management game that was to be FS second product. I just always got the impression that he was more comfortable doing the pr stuff than Vish or Fudge so he became more the public face of things while Vish and Fudge got on with stuff behind the scenes with spinner lendinga hand when they needed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal
tbh there is quite a while until round 12, lots of this round still to go, so plenty of time to decide things.
Classic PATeam mistake. Its something I highlighted when I was PATeam but never got any attention paid to my concerns. One of PA's biggest problems is everything gets rushed meaning bugs are present, its not always balanced, last minute changes are so last minute they arent well thought out ect.

The way it should work is while your getting the round ready to go live your already thinking about the improvements for the next one. You implement the round and then immediatly shift priorities to next round, this gives time for things to be coded, time for things to be tested ect and doesnt leave a massive rush. It doesnt even have to really impact maintance of the round if you have things scedualed well enough and you have enough people around so that the coders/designers dont have to spend too long worrying about other issues
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2004, 21:05   #21
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey

Classic PATeam mistake. Its something I highlighted when I was PATeam but never got any attention paid to my concerns. One of PA's biggest problems is everything gets rushed meaning bugs are present, its not always balanced, last minute changes are so last minute they arent well thought out ect.

The way it should work is while your getting the round ready to go live your already thinking about the improvements for the next one. You implement the round and then immediatly shift priorities to next round, this gives time for things to be coded, time for things to be tested ect and doesnt leave a massive rush. It doesnt even have to really impact maintance of the round if you have things scedualed well enough and you have enough people around so that the coders/designers dont have to spend too long worrying about other issues
I agree. They should be finished coding rnd 12 by now. There will be a lot of different coding for rnd 12, if they want to test it thoroughly then it's time to start the testing. If they have any new things to implement that goes further than was already anounced they should be patient and keep it for rnd 13.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2004, 21:24   #22
mist
Jolt's best friend

i'm not an expert on patent law, but can you patent software ideas? if so, why are there more than one spreadsheet etc etc?

the pateam does seem to tend to plan things as they do them, rather than deciding what needs to be done and then doing it. both approaches are equally valid (extreme programming seems very in to the prior), 'tis just that perhaps one might make pr easier than the other :P

-mist
Unread 13 Jul 2004, 21:54   #23
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I believe i'm right in saying you cant currently you cant patent software but its something that s in the pipeline and its causing a bit of uproar because the fear is that any company who can prove they 'invented' an idea for a peice of software will be able to backdate the patent and start charging licenceing fees on it which could then see every developer both professional and hobbiest being charged for aspects of their programs. For example I was reading a article where it was talking about how every ecommerce site could have to start paying licencing fees for features like shopping carts if software patents do take off
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote