User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 21 Oct 2004, 16:44   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Unhappy I'm sad

My new (first) job is shit.
As most of you probably know I'm a software developer. I started my first job this month as I graduated this summer. I'm the only employee, my boss is sitting right in front of me and he wrote part of the software I'm supposed to expand. But it's shit software. I can't believe people are working with this crap. And the code itself, it's what I call "spaghetti code", a total mess. It is!

Now, the problem is that I'm a nerd with little social skills, and I don't have the courage to tell him right in his face that his product is shit. This is partially caused by the fact that he's a bit stubborn, preaching all the time about how I should work and how important it is to be organised and stuff (oh, the irony), he's bigger and stronger than me, he does a sport that involves sharp Japanese swords, and he is actually my boss and he pays me.
But somewhere I also feel a bit sorry for him if I quit because he's such a busy man who can't write decent software.
I'm also affraid I'm blowing things out of proportion (this being my first job in the big world of shit jobs) and that I'm giving up too fast.

Oh GD... what to do? what to do?
Unread 21 Oct 2004, 17:00   #2
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
Re: I'm sad

Is it that the product is shit or the coding is shit? If the coding is shit but the product is fine, you could always recode it and then use it to leverage into an equity deal....

If it's just shit software, well, recode it anyway just for peace of mind.
Unread 21 Oct 2004, 17:15   #3
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
As most of you probably know I'm a software developer. I started my first job this month as I graduated this summer. I'm the only employee, my boss is sitting right in front of me and he wrote part of the software I'm supposed to expand. But it's shit software. I can't believe people are working with this crap. And the code itself, it's what I call "spaghetti code", a total mess. It is!

Now, the problem is that I'm a nerd with little social skills, and I don't have the courage to tell him right in his face that his product is shit. This is partially caused by the fact that he's a bit stubborn, preaching all the time about how I should work and how important it is to be organised and stuff (oh, the irony), he's bigger and stronger than me, he does a sport that involves sharp Japanese swords, and he is actually my boss and he pays me.
But somewhere I also feel a bit sorry for him if I quit because he's such a busy man who can't write decent software.
I'm also affraid I'm blowing things out of proportion (this being my first job in the big world of shit jobs) and that I'm giving up too fast.

Oh GD... what to do? what to do?
stick with it for 6 months whilst at the same time looking for a new job in evenings/weekends.

i'm in a similar position, will explain more when im not at work.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 21 Oct 2004, 17:49   #4
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
...he wrote part of the software...
...spaghetti...
...he's a bit stubborn...
...he's bigger...than me...
...does a sport that involves sharp Japanese swords...
?
So, he writes software, eats spaghetti, is stubborn, big and does some sort of ninja-thing.

Looks to me like Idi will be starting a thread soon saying

'I recently took on a new employee to assist me in developing code for my website company.
The trouble is, this guy thinks he's better than me and is trying to hide it, but it's obvious, as he's clearly completely insecure and an utter failure around women.
My problem is, how do I get him to admit I'm better than him, without hurting his feelings and/or sitting on him/attacking him with my l33t n!nj4 skillz0r?

Help me GD !!''

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Oct 2004, 17:53   #5
Golin
Retard

Golin is on a distinguished road

work as hard as you can, continously search for other jobs and you will do fine.

dont do like me.
my job sucks so i keep ditching it.
I LIKE PAUL2.
HE IS MY FRIEND.
HE IS THE BEST FRIEND ANYBODY COULD WISH FOR!
Golin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Oct 2004, 18:00   #6
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

I used to be like you, a pussy.

Just aproach him in calmness and tell him that his code is at least not very effective and that you can improve things for him if he wants.
SilverSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Oct 2004, 19:14   #7
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point

Work with what you got cause there are going to be lots more unemployed more experienced programmers out there soon.

A lot of Software houses are crumbling under software piracy which really should be given more priority than the 'music' industry.

As much as this sounds ridiculously shit if he's paying you on time and in full then you do your utmost to turn things around imo, there are a lot worse situations out there in the area you work in currently.
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Oct 2004, 19:19   #8
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Most people respond to rational argument. You could write a long document explaining the faults in the current product and at least three solutions to the current issues.

Or simply write a long document on the software (in your own time) and then at the end outline the possibilities - e.g. 1 - Rewrite code, 2 - Partial rewrite, 3 - Leave as it is, with the consequences of each option.

Just put the document on his desk (or e-mail him it) and say "This is something I knocked up on the weekend, you might want to give it some though".

Most people don't like to hear about problems, they want to hear solutions. If you just say the product sucks then they'll get defensive and think you're unhelpful. An e-mail / document could help depersonalise it so it doesn't feel like it's you vs him.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Oct 2004, 19:23   #9
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
So, he writes software, eats spaghetti, is stubborn, big and does some sort of ninja-thing.

Looks to me like Idi will be starting a thread soon saying

'I recently took on a new employee to assist me in developing code for my website company.
The trouble is, this guy thinks he's better than me and is trying to hide it, but it's obvious, as he's clearly completely insecure and an utter failure around women.
My problem is, how do I get him to admit I'm better than him, without hurting his feelings and/or sitting on him/attacking him with my l33t n!nj4 skillz0r?

Help me GD !!''
This forum is your only source of friends right?
Unread 21 Oct 2004, 19:28   #10
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday8pm
This forum is your only source of friends right?

My eyes just rolled so far back in my head they're now in china
Unread 22 Oct 2004, 02:39   #11
Quazi Starbucks
Heh

Quazi Starbucks is an unknown quantity at this point

I like my job, my boss is cool

Just tell him the code is a bit disorganised, and give a little constructive critisism.

The sort of stuff I am working on recently is a little shabby, but the cool toys I play with is worth it
Quazi Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2004, 03:57   #12
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
My eyes just rolled so far back in my head they're now in china
But I'm right, just look at the posts recently, I could swear he must sit there imagining as us all being real and talking to him at work and hanging out with him at home and stuff.
Unread 22 Oct 2004, 04:08   #13
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

do like me, propose to take him for a paintball game and give him a neckshot.

(I told this to my boss the 4th day at work during smoking break)

I dont know how it affected our relationship, but we never got along.