User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 10 Sep 2008, 01:17   #1
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of
Moar Buttons

To whom it may concern.. again.

Ok In the good old days, you had 4 buttons at the top.

1. News
2. Mail
3. Hostiles
4. Allies

For some reason it was deemed that the hostiles/allies was taking up too much CPU usage (or what ever the reason was) and were dropped.

I propose that they are reintroduced back, and even include new ones.

1. News
2. Mail
3. Hostiles
4. Allies
5. Gal Hostiles
6. Gal Allies

That gives a full "quick" picture as the whats going on.

However you could in theory remove both "allies" buttons and just have 4.

1. News
2. Mail
3. Hostiles
4. Gal Hostiles

This I hope would be the minimum option if it were considered.

While we on it can some one make a small but dramatic change to the html for the game page.

1. Seperate the score/rank values so they can be more versatile in their placements, or at least encase one of the in a < span > tag.

2. The tick value needs its title seperating like the other values (header_tick_title, header_tick)

3. The "New Thread" link in the forum needs a class adding to it. As it stands its hard to get any css added to it without a heck lot of messing.

4. Current structure of Title+Head are seperate, would it be possible to combine e.g.

Code:
<div id="header_score"><span id="header_score_title">Score:</span>11,000,000</div>
Its make life easier trust me.

I have more but i'm off to bed, so i'll complain more tomorrow (-:

but before i go the reason I'm asking for these is because, I tried to do CSS skins for PA a while a go and did a damn good job, But that was when PA didnt use CSS.

Now i have the html files I can redo my versions, even if some of the placement of objects seems a little wierd to me (#header inside the #contents ???)

Currently I have 95% completed (need testing on all screens).

1. Round 3 - Looking very nice.
2. Round 5
3. Cathaar - Redone the content structure.

These also include better structure for all content (borders, backgrounds, etc).

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2008, 09:09   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Moar Buttons

This is where i would post a link to HCI good practises for web design that mentions how many elements should be on screen at once without overwhelming the user, but i really cant be bothered to.
If you want, go google for it.
Unread 10 Sep 2008, 12:39   #3
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

tbh i'm not sure who or what your refering to (yes I know what HCI stands for).

However the Planetarion page in it self is a complex and very heavy on data, and placing the data on the screen needs a lot of elements to make it possible to be custumised.

You have the basic elements on the PA page of

#menu
#header
#content

The main problem I have with html is the "input" tag, that include 2 very different inputs, buttons and edit boxs. Without actually giving each input a class you cant distinguish them.

Yes you can give certain tags the same appearance (tables etc), but if there is a problem with a specific table you cant do anything without adding yet another class tag.

Keeping the screen and code clean helps alot, but a problem always exists between style and speed.

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 10 Sep 2008, 14:46   #4
Machado
Seraphim

Machado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the rough

What's wrong with Gal Status?
Unread 10 Sep 2008, 15:24   #5
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Like Machado, I don't really see the added value of multiple buttons referring to the exact same damn page. Besides, you already get a "A planet in your galaxy has incoming!" message when there's something interesting to see on the galaxy status; that seems good enough for me.

As for the other suggestions you made, I'm not knowledgeable enough about HTML/webdesign to comment on those, so I won't.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2008, 17:35   #6
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machado View Post
What's wrong with Gal Status?
Well the idea is so you dont have to go look at it unless, you see the button come up.

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 10 Sep 2008, 17:36   #7
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
Like Machado, I don't really see the added value of multiple buttons referring to the exact same damn page.
Cool we can remove the mail and news buttons then too?

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 10 Sep 2008, 20:15   #8
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
Cool we can remove the mail and news buttons then too?
If they're replaced by similar messages, sure, why not!
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 10 Sep 2008, 22:04   #9
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

so in that case the reverse is true, we can replace the current "galaxy incoming" message with a button?

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 10 Sep 2008, 22:23   #10
Mzyxptlk
mz.

No. Consider the difference between a useless button hogging space even when nothing interesting is happening and a message that draws attention to important events if and only if they occur.
Unread 11 Sep 2008, 02:32   #11
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

I would remove both the mail and news 'buttons' and just highlight their links in the menu when needed.
The info provided about incomings on the overview (hostiles and friendlies) is better now than when it was buttons. Though I agree the red 'Hostiles' button was a dreaded sight.