User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 18 Nov 2007, 04:31   #1
DanDaMan

DanDaMan has a spectacular aura aboutDanDaMan has a spectacular aura aboutDanDaMan has a spectacular aura about
Way to increase player base by many times

If you want to get more players there is a way to expose thousands if not millions to this game. Port the game interface over to facebook. It would definitely bring in a lot of players, whether you want a lot of new players or not is another question.
DanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2007, 23:34   #2
HellKicker
Fook Yu
Cell-Out Champion

HellKicker is a jewel in the roughHellKicker is a jewel in the roughHellKicker is a jewel in the rough
Re: Way to increase player base by many times

the idea is actually quite interresting, however i doubt it is very doable. i would expect a lot of interface problems, + facebook would probably take a certain fee for doing it.

best way to proceed would probably be to integrate PA with fb during a free round, to get most possible addicted. Doing it during a non-free round would probably be a failure.
Unread 19 Nov 2007, 00:42   #3
Coeus

Coeus is on a distinguished road

Facebook have got a battle on their hands and a huge member revolt since their decision to basically sell out their members photo's to big brands to be used in advertising on the site.

But the idea is still interesting, perhaps approaching some of these sites like MySpace/Facebook with the idea of intergrating the game into their website i.e. one login would be a good way to increase the memberbase. Really PA is currently driven by Word of Mouth and it's current (but dwindling) loyal user base

ROCK Cakes ftw!

Solid as a ROCK through and through
Coeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2007, 00:50   #4
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

I hardly think the entire style of the game is suited to Facebook.

I doubt that many Facebook users have heard of IRC, so you could imagine what happens if a Facebook user joins a galaxy and ends up being booted because the rest of the galaxy refuses to keep them. They'll just uninstall the application straight away.

There is a decent market opportunity for Facebook games which are more involving, but I don't think Planetarion is suitable for it.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2007, 02:59   #5
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Actually, they do. And it does.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2007, 03:01   #6
DanDaMan

DanDaMan has a spectacular aura aboutDanDaMan has a spectacular aura aboutDanDaMan has a spectacular aura about

I would imagine that as long as you aren't charging people for the facebook version, facebook wouldn't charge you. It brings them more ad revenue to have people on their site. And if you look at all the silly games on there, they definitely aren't paying to put those up.
DanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2007, 03:38   #7
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

But making it compatible with Facebook would cost effort, time and money.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 19 Nov 2007, 09:20   #8
Coeus

so wait, you think you can increase a member base without time put in, effort put in and funding put in.

You're living in cookoo land.

And IRC is a problem really, it's not very new-player friendly and i think Alliance should really accomodate for this. You want new players in the game and so you have to make it easy for them to slot in, you might find that the old IRC alliances die out for a new breed fueled by others means of communication. Don't put down a new player just because they don't/can't use IRC, people can learn the basics of it anyway.

ROCK Cakes ftw!

Unread 19 Nov 2007, 09:53   #9
zebra
h3ll's angels

zebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
And IRC is a problem really, it's not very new-player friendly and i think Alliance should really accomodate for this. You want new players in the game and so you have to make it easy for them to slot in, you might find that the old IRC alliances die out for a new breed fueled by others means of communication. Don't put down a new player just because they don't/can't use IRC, people can learn the basics of it anyway.
Would you play PA without IRC?
[18:04] * h3ll has quit IRC (Ping timeout)
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2007, 11:03   #10
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra
Would you play PA without IRC?
I would not play PA without IRC or something that can take its place. We all known replacements such as TeamSpeak, MSN or forums are inadequate, but that does not mean there's nothing out there that could one day replace IRC as the main way of communication.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 19 Nov 2007 at 16:20.
Unread 19 Nov 2007, 15:43   #11
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
No it wouldn't. Get members of the community to do it for free. They can and they will.
You have more faith in the goodwill of the PA community than I do, I'm afraid. Actually, that's not quite right. I'm sure there's plenty of goodwill. But this is precisely the sort of thing that makes people say "They should code it for Facebook!" or "Someone should definitely do that!". And although these sentences sound as if they include the person who utters them, it really means "This is a good idea, it should be done, but not by me. However, I will be very disappointed if no one does it. In everyone but myself, anyway". People often do this without realising. Think along the lines of the manual or the portal.
Unread 19 Nov 2007, 16:03   #12
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

willing, and will actually do it are two different things entirely
plus making it compatible with facebook ( ie playable within it ) means they would need the same level of information about the game as pateam in order to make it work - which means they need to sign the jolt nda
Unread 19 Nov 2007, 17:39   #13
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I've briefly looked at the facebook software and it looks pretty complicated from what I saw.
We'd literally have to recode the required game pages (and possibly reduce the general game security) from what I can see. If anyone else knows differently, then please say - what I saw was not clear in the slightest, and beyond my coding knowledge / experience.
Unread 19 Nov 2007, 20:28   #14
hairypalms

hairypalms is a jewel in the roughhairypalms is a jewel in the roughhairypalms is a jewel in the rough

Does facebook not have a support team to help with such things?
hairypalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2007, 23:02   #15
Coeus

i think before you start considering the logistics of it you should approach the websites about the idea.

You have to decide on what you want PA to become also, these websites really only care about $ signs. To me PA has potential and good scalability and you have to think big to get big, and for the people who say they couldn't play PA without IRC then thats ok, but you have to understand IRC isn't everyones cup of tea. Similar to FPS games and their clans, many use IRC but there are plenty of clans who don't use it and have other means of communication. If we want PA to grow then we have to be ready to take on new ideas and new methods to allow it to grow.

Also to note is that in any game you will get the serious players and the people who play for fun. So i think we all have to be open minded and understand which direction PA wants to move, we can sit and improve the functionality of the game for the current user base or we can take a leap and look at scaling PA up.

ROCK Cakes ftw!

Unread 14 Dec 2007, 16:08   #16
neroon

neroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of light

just everyone make a thread in 2-3 biggest game forums u have in yer country about new round starting for instance and dates when its gonna happen.. i did that and tbh i have had around 10 ppl replying the thread in 3days that are intrested and will tryout.. most of em old players that actually didnt have a clue that its still running and thought it was dead and buryed already long time ago, others also new players that are just wondering what it is.. now after that all that pa-crew could do is to add more fun in the game and u got new potensial players.. i know 10 aint much tho as i said its 3 days atm and if its 10,50 or 100 new players then they still matter .P..
neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Dec 2007, 07:48   #17
Bubert Samson
Come Closer, I Have Candy

Bubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the rough

any new player is a good one, Im not going to hold out hope that PA will return to its glory days, our only goal should be getting the game off life support so to speak.
Its good to see people taking the initiative on it, my only question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neroon
now after that all that pa-crew could do is to add more fun in the game and u got new potensial players..
How would you suggest they do that?

Im not trying to criticize or downplay your comment, Im wondering if you have any ideas on it.

[ROCK] || Conspiracy Theory || Ascendancy

Rounds Played: 3-9 16-19 23-33

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
- Edgar Allan Poe
Bubert Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 2007, 23:33   #18
neroon

neroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of light

hehe.. well tbh i dont have ne ideas myself, but there are quite many of em in forums that could b added to the game.. also thats why i aint in pa-crew either
neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Dec 2007, 00:26   #19
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

Many games shared a same tought, none I seen to adapt it yet. Maybe I should myself to view this facebook one day :P It just sounds so much like irc-gallery/netgamers-gallery etc...

Anyway use of IRC/MSN or other chat tool is certainly a nessesarity to get the biggest fun out of the game, in most cases the community and friends over the net are the biggest reason to enter the game round after round. Anyway the tools ingame alliance etc support pretty well people who dont use communication also, it just makes switching info slower.