User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 17 Apr 2004, 22:43   #1
The Kulz

The Kulz is an unknown quantity at this point
Private Gals, Random Alliances

Hi, Instead of random galaxies and private alliances, lets switch things around for next round and have private galaxies and random alliances.

Let people sign up in galaxies with their friends but then assign them all a random alliance. Disallow creation of private alliances and instead bring back cluster-esque struggle for power and political intrigue within each alliance.

The enemy of yesterday is now for defence today, meet new people, poilitical battles, wars, and with members of all the old alliances mixed up in new ones, no more blocking! Complete chaos!

Points to Ponder:
  • Name changes
  • Exiling from alliances
  • Ministers within
  • A practicle defense gizmo
  • Should they be public
  • Starting numbers and top limits
The Kulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2004, 22:54   #2
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Private Gals, Random Alliances

Great. You'd need quite a big block to make sure you have enough friendlies to count on in each 'alliance'.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Apr 2004, 01:13   #3
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

i'm sure there's a reason why this is dumb... i'm just having trouble putting my finger on it.

certainly not something i'd play. having newbs in your gal is bad enough, but having to rely on them to actually defend you would be crap in the extreme. the power struggles would be ammusing to watch, but ultimatly i suspect rather self destructive. decent players would form an elite inside alliances and nap with the decent players in all the other alliances, alliance ranking would mean little, all the alliances would be 'run' by spies.

what would you do with people who were booted from the alliance?

-mist
mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Apr 2004, 10:18   #4
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute

If allainces are fully in game now, this is a very good idea. Sorta like picking teams before each round, every round is different and every round is new. I like it.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Apr 2004, 10:52   #5
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

the problem is that the rnaodm in game alliances will be "fake" people will attack with their current out of game alliances etc. it might also push alliances towards rival games.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Apr 2004, 13:17   #6
The Kulz

Quote:
what would you do with people who were booted from the alliance?
I was thinking of something like galaxy exiling into another alliance, except with a ban list so they couldn't just exile their way back in.

Quote:
decent players would form an elite inside alliances and nap with the decent players in all the other alliances
this sounds familiar..

Quote:
alliance ranking would mean little, all the alliances would be 'run' by spies.
I disagree, sure alliances who rush into voting their leadership would end up with someone who doesn't have their best interest at heart. And the alliance ranking would soon show which alliances are better organized and have better leaders.
Unread 18 Apr 2004, 13:30   #7
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

the '1337' players will end up in charge of the alliances, as they always did with cluster/para alliances. they'll then arrange attacks by their mates in other alliances on those in their own that they don't deam useful.

basically, this will just shift alliances out of game

-mist
Unread 18 Apr 2004, 13:54   #8
PDTemplar
WAFFLES FFS!!!

PDTemplar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
i'm sure there's a reason why this is dumb... i'm just having trouble putting my finger on it.
-mist
The point is that you are in an alliance because they are your friends and you want to play with/for them. If thats no longer possible and you have to defend people you dont like and attack people you dont want to.... where is the fun?

Proud to be Xanadu BC
PDTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Apr 2004, 14:50   #9
The Kulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDTemplar
The point is that you are in an alliance because they are your friends and you want to play with/for them. If thats no longer possible and you have to defend people you dont like and attack people you dont want to.... where is the fun?
I'm confused, who is making you attack people you don't want to? The ingame alliance doesn't control who you can attack, you can attack whoever you want, with whoever you want.
Unread 18 Apr 2004, 15:44   #10
PDTemplar
WAFFLES FFS!!!

PDTemplar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kulz
I'm confused, who is making you attack people you don't want to? The ingame alliance doesn't control who you can attack, you can attack whoever you want, with whoever you want.
Yes it does, if alliances are random 1 ) You can't attack other people of that alliance 2 ) You rely on THEM to help you in defense

Proud to be Xanadu BC
PDTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Apr 2004, 18:10   #11
The Kulz

Ya, that's kind of the whole idea, break up the old alliances, stop the powerblocking, meet new people, new friends etc.

Perhaps if attacking people in your own alliance was allowed it would make things more even.

Take for example the current game: 3000 people, with 100 person limit in alliances there would be 30 viable alliances, not the current 3 top ones and the rest that can't compete.

Last edited by The Kulz; 18 Apr 2004 at 18:17.
Unread 18 Apr 2004, 18:32   #12
mist
Jolt's best friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kulz
Ya, that's kind of the whole idea, break up the old alliances, stop the powerblocking, meet new people, new friends etc.
i'm guessing you didn't read the rest of the thread, with all the reasons why this won't happen

-mist
Unread 18 Apr 2004, 18:41   #13
The Kulz

You mean the vague reference that it's dumb?

I'm well aware nothing will ever change, but new ideas still need to be discussed.
Unread 18 Apr 2004, 18:51   #14
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

if this were done i would estimate 75%+ of the paying customers would leave :/

and even if they didn;t i think the system woudl be absed and the alliances used as "puppet" alliances for the current alliances.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote