User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 13 Jun 2006, 18:31   #1
Lοki
God of Fire and Mischief

Lοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the rough
Illegal Characters

This is not as important nore interesting as the other threads, but just something that would be a nice addition. And not too hard to code I'd say.

I'd like to see a few extra characters in planet, ruler, alliance, galaxy and fleet names. It's especially about: . , ' " ~ ^ ` : ; etc etc etc
Also the letters that come with these, such as á ö û etc.

I'm not aware of any important counter arguments, and it'd just be nice to have
Lοki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jun 2006, 18:35   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Illegal Characters

some of these special characters arent usable for a reason, they are so-called escape characters in programming and, without proper care in 'scrubbing' them out of strings being inserted into a database could lead to db corruption and security holes.
Unread 13 Jun 2006, 19:45   #3
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Actually, the main things removed are ' , ", [, ] and spaces (I think). Maybe I can't read the code correctly. All inputs have these removed. Not sure about the others, the code seems a bit weird
Unread 14 Jun 2006, 02:13   #4
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

well, iirc it didnt let me have a smiley in my "Lemmings! Plz dont kill" fleetname .

For that matter, did it let ! or ? in too? i dont recall.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2006, 07:18   #5
Kael
The Evil Hamster

Kael will become famous soon enoughKael will become famous soon enough

! doensn't work

"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain" - It's time to toss the dice.

#Spacehamsters

Last edited by Kael; 14 Jun 2006 at 15:57.
Kael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2006, 17:52   #6
Lοki
God of Fire and Mischief

Lοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
some of these special characters arent usable for a reason, they are so-called escape characters in programming and, without proper care in 'scrubbing' them out of strings being inserted into a database could lead to db corruption and security holes.
But I'm sure PA team has proper care

" is indeed the end of a string, though it is possible in any language to let a program know it's part of the string and not the end of it.

Even so, é ò ü î and ã are not causing security holes I'd say. I understand why there is no () and [], for vacation and protection mode, but also : could be put in... Even if it's just for the smileys... if you want a smiley you have to use =p and that looks ugly
Lοki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2006, 20:03   #7
Dr_Zaius

Dr_Zaius has a spectacular aura aboutDr_Zaius has a spectacular aura about

I don't know about this language but in the few coding languages I've used the function just strips the lot! It's not picking on those characters as such, just wiping anythign thats not on the list!

Dr_Zaius - Planetarion Support Team Member
Dr_Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2006, 09:34   #8
Aragno
xVx techie

Aragno will become famous soon enoughAragno will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Link

Even so, é ò ü î and ã are not causing security holes I'd say.
Not security holes maybe but it can cause unexpected in many browsers depending on the charset it's set to use.

Planet/Ruler names should be limited to a regular expression like
Code:
/^(?:[a-zA-Z0-9]|\.(?!\.)| (?! ))*$/
This will allow only letters ann numbers + "." and " ".

But I am a dull coder, so nm me
Aragno is offline   Reply With Quote