User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 21 Oct 2013, 21:57   #1
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
Shuffle Function

Following my idea on IRC just now, was wondering if it wouldn't be a bad idea?

Like a random shuffle of top galaxies/planets? Whether it's the galaxies people are in, or a shuffle of the roids they have or whatever every so and so ticks - e.g. Paisley suggested every 72 ticks.

Would an element of fun akin to Spinner's ideas of adding some more fun/surprise into the game?

What's your thoughts about some extra element of shuffle/randomization?

Could it be used to help even out the universe and prevent the problem of 'big galaxies' staying big? Add a bit more surprise/fun into the game? Make tactics more dyanmic?
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Oct 2013, 22:12   #2
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of
Re: Shuffle Function

No.
This game is about building up relations to other players every round, wich is hard now days, this idea would make it even worse.

RB Ely MISTU Angel Fusi0n 1up ToF VisioN CT FAnG ROCK
BloodyButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Oct 2013, 22:23   #3
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

After this round's exiling culture I think would be a great "punishment" for the guilty gals exiling noobs and would spice up PA a bit more and get to interact with folk that you wouldn't normally mingle with.

But have the shuffles at 8pm game time and not in the middle of the night.
Unread 22 Oct 2013, 00:24   #4
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisley View Post
After this round's exiling culture I think would be a great "punishment" for the guilty gals exiling noobs and would spice up PA a bit more and get to interact with folk that you wouldn't normally mingle with.

But have the shuffles at 8pm game time and not in the middle of the night.
Well say after 10 exiles, u get one of ur planets shuffeled out With a New one lol

RB Ely MISTU Angel Fusi0n 1up ToF VisioN CT FAnG ROCK
BloodyButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2013, 00:58   #5
Patrikc

Patrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant future

How it'd work in my mind would be a shuffle every two weeks, no exiling, and you only stay with your bp (either two 2 man packs per gal or one 3-4 man). After the shuffle there is a 12/24-hour period of no ticks to catch up on galaxy relations. 12 hours would throw off a lot of launch times (could be a good thing?), 24 hours is more standard obviously but might be a bit long of a break every two weeks.
Patrikc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2013, 13:48   #6
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

I quite like Pat's idea bar the stopping the ticks bit
Unread 22 Oct 2013, 20:48   #7
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Really dislike not being able to exile, being stuck in a tiny inactive gal for two weeks must be hell.
Unread 22 Oct 2013, 21:47   #8
Motti
Just Awesome

Motti has a spectacular aura aboutMotti has a spectacular aura aboutMotti has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androme2 View Post
Following my idea on IRC just now, was wondering if it wouldn't be a bad idea?

Like a random shuffle of top galaxies/planets? Whether it's the galaxies people are in, or a shuffle of the roids they have or whatever every so and so ticks - e.g. Paisley suggested every 72 ticks.

Would an element of fun akin to Spinner's ideas of adding some more fun/surprise into the game?

What's your thoughts about some extra element of shuffle/randomization?

Could it be used to help even out the universe and prevent the problem of 'big galaxies' staying big? Add a bit more surprise/fun into the game? Make tactics more dyanmic?
People might be playing for many reasons, but for me - and many others as far as I know. A planet is made up because one, a few or a group of people you enjoy playing with makes you sign a planet.

Sometimes I play in a buddy pack, lately I have played as a random player. Either works fine for me, but I choose random when I expect to most likely not care to much about the round.

Once the gal is setup after shuffle, it will take some time to get to know who is in your galaxy, phone #s, alliances, and whatever else you spend time on building a galaxy that can work together in a somewhat coordinated motion.

If I understand you correctly, you like the idea of maybe a universe shuffle every 72 ticks or so, maybe less fequent.

This I am guesstimating is a suggestion to revamp PA, make it more fun for new players, etc, also known as solution to PA's problems.

My question to you is then, how is this helping new, or returning players?

I only see a random universe, that I most likely wouldn't bother playing in - I care for some form of coordinated action in a galaxy. Shuffle it around from time to time, and I really loose my incentive to interact with anyone that I don't know already. Why invest time in for example training a new player, getting to know a new pal in gal - if you after a while shuffle away?

Secondly, I see this as another suggestion that is ment to attract new players / help new or returning players - but in the end from my point of view just make you so much more reliant on a functionable alliance who got your back.

How do you get such an alliance, if you are constantly being shuffled around in the universe?

Thirdly, have you considered that if you are in a somehwat functional galaxy, the ETA advantage ingal REALLY helps save roids. Shuffle us around, and you can't really expect to get gal defence. Leaving it even easier to roid down someone - get past ally ETA and you are set for...
Motti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2013, 21:54   #9
Motti
Just Awesome

Motti has a spectacular aura aboutMotti has a spectacular aura aboutMotti has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrikc View Post
How it'd work in my mind would be a shuffle every two weeks, no exiling, and you only stay with your bp (either two 2 man packs per gal or one 3-4 man). After the shuffle there is a 12/24-hour period of no ticks to catch up on galaxy relations. 12 hours would throw off a lot of launch times (could be a good thing?), 24 hours is more standard obviously but might be a bit long of a break every two weeks.
Being a bit critical,

This suggestion could potentionally make me a farm for two weeks at a time, with no chance to get away from it?

If you lengthen the period between shuffle, you could potentionally be in a bad place for a long time.

If you shorten the period, you loose motivation to even try and build a small community a galaxy might be.

Either way - I find it not so tempting to try.
Motti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2013, 18:17   #10
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

I was hoping that more folk would post on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motti View Post
People might be playing for many reasons, but for me - and many others as far as I know. A planet is made up because one, a few or a group of people you enjoy playing with makes you sign a planet.

Sometimes I play in a buddy pack, lately I have played as a random player. Either works fine for me, but I choose random when I expect to most likely not care to much about the round.

Once the gal is setup after shuffle, it will take some time to get to know who is in your galaxy, phone #s, alliances, and whatever else you spend time on building a galaxy that can work together in a somewhat coordinated motion.

If I understand you correctly, you like the idea of maybe a universe shuffle every 72 ticks or so, maybe less fequent.

This I am guesstimating is a suggestion to revamp PA, make it more fun for new players, etc, also known as solution to PA's problems.

My question to you is then, how is this helping new, or returning players?
Quote:
I only see a random universe, that I most likely wouldn't bother playing in - I care for some form of coordinated action in a galaxy. Shuffle it around from time to time, and I really loose my incentive to interact with anyone that I don't know already. Why invest time in for example training a new player, getting to know a new pal in gal - if you after a while shuffle away?

Secondly, I see this as another suggestion that is ment to attract new players / help new or returning players - but in the end from my point of view just make you so much more reliant on a functionable alliance who got your back.

How do you get such an alliance, if you are constantly being shuffled around in the universe?

Thirdly, have you considered that if you are in a somehwat functional galaxy, the ETA advantage ingal REALLY helps save roids. Shuffle us around, and you can't really expect to get gal defence. Leaving it even easier to roid down someone - get past ally ETA and you are set for...
Quote:
Being a bit critical,

This suggestion could potentionally make me a farm for two weeks at a time, with no chance to get away from it?

If you lengthen the period between shuffle, you could potentionally be in a bad place for a long time.

If you shorten the period, you loose motivation to even try and build a small community a galaxy might be.

Either way - I find it not so tempting to try.
There has been changes made to PA, the best example I can think of is making stealers die after round 18 because there was a number of people Doing fleetcatches (myself included) as a round strategy rather than go roiding.
Some could see how this was detrimental to the game others said "You're Ruining my fun" In hindsight those fleetcatches would have ended many a players round.

Another example was Changing the game mechanics to ban out of tag / out gal defense... Some players had the attitude of get defense at all costs even have multi type planets that navigate around the game rules. (The ME ME ME attitude as I call it) Now that "support planets" have been made obsolete. Some of the objectors to the change couldn't see past how it was poluting the quality playerbase by having these inactive/not galmate material planets in other people's galaxies.

Depending on the community's attitude, however judging by the current exiling culture it is detrimental to the game.

Unless the player is well known, has influence in his ally (I.E. keep the gal off ally raids etc,) Required for a fence gal and reachable via sms etc etc.
They are usually exiled out of top gals.

Eventually you have pseudo private gals and then have the dross going into lower gals. Because one contender galaxy does so must the other galaxies do it (I call it Keeping up with the Jones Mentality)

Hence the current exiling culture thats in PA today.

I can understand how some folk have developed a trust in other players from previous rounds to BP each other, even to the point of using VNC programs like logmein to remote access each other computers and login their planets at peak (2-9am gametime by the time it reaches eta5) times to send ingal defense when they wouldn't normally be online. I would challenge the Multi hunter team on how they Could counteract VNC use as it would be undetectable to them. Best way around this is change game mechanics etc like total random. no galaxies etc.
(Thats a different Thread for discussion and I'm in now way at this time endorsing total random and / or no galaxies)
They Trust those players not to look up dodgy sites on their computer etc.
Afterall the actual player will be away from their computer / in their bed.

I can understand why some players might see this suggestion as a threat towards their cosy set up. (This isn't aimed directly at you Motti but more towards some your ally mates, and some others)

I'm going off in a tangent, Ah yes it comes back towards players attitudes.
Personally I like to train new players when they ask me for help and have even done tick plans (round starting strategies like fi/co eta or bs/cr rush being favourites) for more experienced players because I would like to see more players playing the game and enjoying it....And Yes I still enjoy PA.
Some players I know Cant be arsed in doing this I.E. It isn't my role to do this.
Other players see noobs/returning/shite etc as opportunities to exploit I.E. can you roid this noob down for me so its a cheaper exile and gets you easy roids etc.

The only way I can see on how to make New players (and returning players etc)
Valuable is that they are needed out of nessesity...

When A player gets incoming the ally is the first line of defense and the galaxy is the last line of defense.
What happens when you can't get ally def to cover? You seek ingal defense.
and I've seen many panic / Emo from players who don't like being roided, just enough that they might see other players like new/returning/<Insert_other_class> valuable enough to invest the time so they become another source of defense. Mainly because they can't effectively Build a pseudo private galaxy like having shuffles would counter...hence nessesity.

Personally I would like to see a split of public and private gals having a stagger in favour of public gals being bigger... like the first Xmas round.
However this suggestion thread is about having shuffles.

I think this would add more dynamics to galaxy politics like the pressure to get along out of nessesity for an extra source of defense.
Unread 25 Oct 2013, 09:31   #11
ManiacMagic
!!!AMERICA!!!

ManiacMagic is just really niceManiacMagic is just really niceManiacMagic is just really niceManiacMagic is just really nice

not a great idea, first of all it makes no scientific sense ... second if you got one of these famed fable new players you might only have a week to help him out b4 he gets randomly sent into some other confusing hell hole.
ManiacMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Oct 2013, 21:49   #12
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

[20:42] <Paisley> !exile
[20:42] <Paisley> most ally bots have this function
[20:42] <light2> once you exile someone out of your gal, your gal isnt automatically in the exile region, after a hidden time 0-96 hours, its in
[20:42] <light2> stops people knowing when to exile to get into X gal
[20:42] <vM> fixed
[20:43] <vM> pow
[20:43] <light2> and drastically increases the chances of a random getting in
[20:43] <light2> before the planned planet gets in
[20:43] <Paisley> not bad idea light
[20:43] <Thraxia> bot galaxies
[20:43] <light2> any other problems you need me to fix Lunar_Lamp?
[20:43] <vM> right thats that sorted, but you still didn't remove the exile system so no doubt in 3 rounds time it will be hot topic again
[20:43] <Paisley> go post on forums lol

Food for thought
Unread 29 Oct 2013, 22:46   #13
Plaguuu

Plaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisley View Post
[20:42] <Paisley> !exile
[20:42] <Paisley> most ally bots have this function
[20:42] <light2> once you exile someone out of your gal, your gal isnt automatically in the exile region, after a hidden time 0-96 hours, its in
[20:42] <light2> stops people knowing when to exile to get into X gal
[20:42] <vM> fixed
[20:43] <vM> pow
[20:43] <light2> and drastically increases the chances of a random getting in
[20:43] <light2> before the planned planet gets in
[20:43] <Paisley> not bad idea light
[20:43] <Thraxia> bot galaxies
[20:43] <light2> any other problems you need me to fix Lunar_Lamp?
[20:43] <vM> right thats that sorted, but you still didn't remove the exile system so no doubt in 3 rounds time it will be hot topic again
[20:43] <Paisley> go post on forums lol

Food for thought
So the ones kicking players get small and stay out of bracket while the ones keeping all gets pushed into bracket and get more players :P
food for thought

there are way easier options to stop a group of players exiling into a certain bp gal.
Plaguuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Oct 2013, 23:20   #14
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaguuu View Post
So the ones kicking players get small and stay out of bracket while the ones keeping all gets pushed into bracket and get more players :P
food for thought
Presuming there is a galaxy limit etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaguuu View Post
there are way easier options to stop a group of players exiling into a certain bp gal.
elaborate for us (no im not attempting to troll you as I would welcome ideas in this field)
Unread 30 Oct 2013, 00:28   #15
Plaguuu

Plaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nice

Well basicly if you want exile to be smth you use to get out of inactive gals and into something decent, but not ONE specific gal you decided on preround. Put some restriction on exiling out of decent gals.

If you exile into a top 10 gal, exilefunction gets 1 week cooldown.
If you exile into a top 20 gal, exilefunction gets 1 day cooldown.
Unread 30 Oct 2013, 22:38   #16
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

worth considering but would need tweaking
Unread 1 Nov 2013, 12:32   #17
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of

This is still the worst idea EVER. And plaguus' idea doesn't working because the 'special gal stay ranked 20-30th until they have everyone exiled in then they start growing
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Nov 2013, 13:02   #18
Papadoc

Papadoc is a jewel in the roughPapadoc is a jewel in the roughPapadoc is a jewel in the roughPapadoc is a jewel in the rough

Just checked in beta and it is outrageously costly to exile. Unless the cost scales with ticks?
Unread 1 Nov 2013, 14:56   #19
Plaguuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba View Post
This is still the worst idea EVER. And plaguus' idea doesn't working because the 'special gal stay ranked 20-30th until they have everyone exiled in then they start growing
Kaiba think before you write. It doesnt matter what rank the special gal is.. they still have to wait when they hit a top10/20 gal