User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 20 Nov 2002, 01:11   #1
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quick linux help - booting

Ok i installed redhat fine but the had a problem with windows meaning i had to reinstall win98

Now it will automatically boot windows, whereas before when i had redhat as the last thing i had installed grub came up automatically which gave me the choice of which one to pick (redhat or win98)

Anyone know how i stop it automatically booting win98 and instead get it to boot via grub so i can chooose?

Win98 is on C drive and redhat is on a separate drive

I tried changing the boot devices around in the bios but all i could get it to boot was win98

Using the linux boot floppy disk i can boot into linux but don't want to have to do that every time.....

It's probably something very simple but i just can't figure out what
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2002, 01:16   #2
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Your comp will always boot by default to the OS pointed to by the MBR on the C: drive unless you have an OS loader installed. I use LILO for mine not grub but to get your dual boot back all you should have to do is reinstall it.

I don't know how clever it is (never having used it) but it shuold pretty much set itself up
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2002, 01:19   #3
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
Your comp will always boot by default to the OS pointed to by the MBR on the C: drive unless you have an OS loader installed. I use LILO for mine not grub but to get your dual boot back all you should have to do is reinstall it.

I don't know how clever it is (never having used it) but it shuold pretty much set itself up
by 'it' you mean just the dual booter right?

assume i am a complete newb with linux (cos i am)

grub was automatically installed when i installed redhat, how would i go about installing it again (or installing lilo, don't care which one i use)
Unread 20 Nov 2002, 01:23   #4
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/LILO.html should answer any questions I hope
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 20 Nov 2002, 01:31   #5
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
if lilo was already installed and working, just boot in with your boot disk (clever boy - always keep a boot disk :) and as root type
Code:
lilo
Should be all you need do.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2002, 01:33   #6
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally posted by MT
if lilo was already installed and working, just boot in with your boot disk (clever boy - always keep a boot disk and as root type
Code:
lilo
Should be all you need do.
it was grub that was already installed, not lilo

trying stuff now but it's extremely slow
Unread 20 Nov 2002, 01:33   #7
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
as an addition to what the nice Mr MT said, note that whenever you reinstall 98, or for that matter any version of windows, you will have to reinstall lilo.
This is because windows is arrogant as ever, and assumes there is no other OS on the machine - nicely wiping the mbr during the install process.

Unread 20 Nov 2002, 01:38   #8
Ragnarak

grub-install /dev/hda worked

everything back to nice booting and this time my network's working in windows, now just to get my xp machine to recognise the linux one and vice-versa
Unread 20 Nov 2002, 01:39   #9
Ragnarak

ta btw
Unread 20 Nov 2002, 01:42   #10
Gayle29uk
Bitch

\o/

Sorry for directing you towards lilo but everyone I know uses it, I've never come across grub before so couldn't provide any specific help with that
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 20 Nov 2002, 01:46   #11
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
If by 'recognise' you mean file sharing and whatnot, these commands may come in handy.

Code:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>net view linux
Shared resources at linux

Samba Server 2.2.5

Share name  Type  Used as  Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tom         Disk           Home Directories
The command completed successfully.
Code:
[email protected] [01:02am]  '~'
> $ smbclient -L noisy
added interface ip=192.168.0.2 bcast=192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:
Domain=[WOODHALL] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        IPC$           IPC       Remote IPC
        D$             Disk      Default share
        print$         Disk      Printer Drivers
        SharedDocs     Disk
        SIERRA         Disk
        Movies         Disk
        Music          Disk
        ADMIN$         Disk      Remote Admin
        C$             Disk      Default share
        shared         Disk
        Printer        Printer   Lexmark Z13

Server               Comment
        ---------            -------

Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
[email protected] [01:02am]  '~'
> $

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2002, 01:54   #12
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally posted by MT
ta