User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 5 May 2014, 21:58   #1
Clouds

Clouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to behold
Round Lengths

Can we please reduce the length of rounds? They are too long! In the final week of the round, the universe goes idle.

It's best to remember the round for it's wars & battles and not for the stagnation in the final week.

This round should've ended last Friday in my opinion.
Clouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2014, 22:00   #2
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Round Lenghts

I would have to agree with you on this
Unread 5 May 2014, 22:48   #3
Blue_Esper

Blue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of light

who's to say the final week goes idle is due to round length and not the hopelessness of not being able to finish anywhere meaningful?
Unread 5 May 2014, 23:16   #4
Influence
Finally retired

Influence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to behold

While i agree with you that this round should have ended last friday at the latest, there have been plenty of rounds recently that have remained entertaining throughout all 7 weeks. I would personally suggest varying round lengths where after a minimum of 5 weeks PATeam decides to end it if it stopped being interesting, or prolong it with a week at a time after that if it is still open.

In the absence of the good old TiT alliance, look me up in VGN
Influence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2014, 00:09   #5
Tiamat101

Tiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the rough

I for one would like to see Varying round lengths from Round to round, 5 weeks seems like a good minamum and maybe going on to 9 week rounds. But I'd like to see the addition of special asteroids back into the game +% mining, +cp, +rp. But only introduce them after say 800 ticks or something and only for the longer duration rounds.
Unread 6 May 2014, 02:56   #6
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

ArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud of

We've "discussed" this (many times) before. Shorter rounds (tend to) mean even more stagnation because there is even less time for war to be profitable.

In the last thread on this subject, I suggested that we do away with the (pointless) Christmas round and spread the "real" rounds evenly through the year. I think this would make each round 8 weeks long.

I'm not in favour of variable length rounds either. How can you make plans to win a round if you don't know when it's going to finish? I suspect that even fewer risks could be taken.
Knights of the Green Shield R99 | Look Out of The Window R100 | Most of All R102
Hard of Hearing (2:7:1) R103 | The Lateness of Your Application (1:6:6) R104 | Kinnison of Tellus (5:1:2) R105
ArcChas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2014, 07:53   #7
Plaguuu

Plaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcChas View Post
We've "discussed" this (many times) before. Shorter rounds (tend to) mean even more stagnation because there is even less time for war to be profitable.

In the last thread on this subject, I suggested that we do away with the (pointless) Christmas round and spread the "real" rounds evenly through the year. I think this would make each round 8 weeks long.

I'm not in favour of variable length rounds either. How can you make plans to win a round if you don't know when it's going to finish? I suspect that even fewer risks could be taken.
You cant really plan for it, you have to overtake rank 1 around 5 weeks and fight for it for 0-4 weeks. Would also stop the massive launches on rank 1 planets final day.
Plaguuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2014, 11:59   #8
Killeah
Old Skool

Killeah has a spectacular aura aboutKilleah has a spectacular aura about

As an alternative to the round lenght discussion, one could look at earlier conclusions of different aspects of the game.

Example:

Overall round: 1177 ticks
Planet rank conclusion: 1177
Gal rank conclusion: 1080
Ally rank conclusion: 1008

But it could easily be a larger margin, say gal ranks concluded at tick 800.

The game is more or less focused towards planet ranks the last week anyway, often due to the fact that alliance ranks are concluded earlier. Why not capitalize on that, so once alliance winner is decided, each alliance could engage in a new playstyle, i.e supporting their best planets while taking the competition out.

A fine example is this round, and previous ones before. Winning alliance and those in the race (tho rarely) seldom have the opportunity to get decent planetranks, as securing both goals (ally/planet), often cancels out eachother.

If anything it would add a touch of flavour, to the already dried out playstyle of PA.

Thoughts?
Killeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2014, 15:40   #9
mathematician

mathematician has a spectacular aura aboutmathematician has a spectacular aura aboutmathematician has a spectacular aura about

how about a random round length?
have a round last 6 weeks, then disable vacation mode, and end the round at a random tick 7-14 days after.

If the round end is random, ppl don't know how long they have to defend their rank, so they have to fight until the end.
mathematician is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2014, 19:01   #10
TheoDD
Othello Champion, Solitaire Champion, Anime BlackJack Champion

TheoDD has a spectacular aura aboutTheoDD has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematician View Post
how about a random round length?
have a round last 6 weeks, then disable vacation mode, and end the round at a random tick 7-14 days after.

If the round end is random, ppl don't know how long they have to defend their rank, so they have to fight until the end.
nice conclusion.
So if people knows when round ends, then they won't fight untill the end?
TheoDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2014, 17:26   #11
mathematician

mathematician has a spectacular aura aboutmathematician has a spectacular aura aboutmathematician has a spectacular aura about
Re: Round Lengths

yes. at least this is what some whinings in the forums are about. 'End the round now because the top ... is already secured' and such.

A random round end also makes certain last-tick strategies obsolete, like donating a planet to the top etc.
mathematician is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2014, 22:38   #12
Tiamat101

Tiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killeah View Post

Overall round: 1177 ticks
Planet rank conclusion: 1177
Gal rank conclusion: 1080
Ally rank conclusion: 1008
I much like this idea, Have the 3 winning catagories end on different ticks. As stated before the last week is only really about planet ranks t10 and #1.

Galaxy ranks are often decided before the last week, but not always, same with ally ranks but I also enjoy the idea of random Round ends the RNG of the last 14 days would add a bit of fun to the end of the round.
Unread 8 May 2014, 23:50   #13
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

The way that NAPtarion has went this round ... I'm tempted to say.

If Alliance #1 has a 30% score lead v alliance #2 the round ends and ticks stop

If Galaxy #1 has a 30% score lead v Galaxy #2 the Round ends and ticks stop.

With NO HAVOC between the time between the round ends and the sheduled round end.
Unread 8 May 2014, 23:55   #14
Plaguuu

Plaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nicePlaguuu is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisley View Post

With NO HAVOC between the time between the round ends and the sheduled round end.
Win tick 1 ? :P Would need a after t200 timer or smth to avoid the uselessnes of score early round.
Plaguuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2014, 23:59   #15
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

good point and good idea ... the point of my post was giving motivation to folk not to watch folk win.
Unread 9 May 2014, 00:17   #16
Clouds

Clouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I think that not only would this be complicated to code, it's also a stupid idea (no offense).

And in regards to your concerns about there is no motivation to win, it's because winning is now overrated due to the mechanics in today's Planetarion (ie a high minority of trolls playing just to ruin players' rounds).

Last edited by Clouds; 9 May 2014 at 00:23.
Unread 9 May 2014, 00:26   #17
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouds View Post
I think that not only would this be complicated to code, it's also a stupid idea (no offense).
None taken I was hoping to get the ball rolling on ideas from folk on how to motivate the players etc.
The current NAPtarion makes playing boring even trying to finish t50 this round from a personal perspective.

Quote:
And in regards to your concerns about there is no motivation to win, it's because winning is overrated in today's Planetarion. The satisfaction isn't as rewarding as it once was.
Have you seen the spore crowd on AD with their bragging rights?

The only thing I can think of is to have a bigger carrot for winning but I dont think more credits would cut it.... <insert magical idea / suggestion here>
Unread 9 May 2014, 00:45   #18
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Quote:
I actually edited my post, and I recommend you re-read it.
Aye just noticed that ...

Quote:
And in regards to your concerns about there is no motivation to win, it's because winning is now overrated due to the mechanics in today's Planetarion (ie a high minority of trolls playing just to ruin players' rounds).
Im quite aware of the SKs competition, I suspect its trolls who aren't able to wake up at peak times to send defence (12-6am game time) and aren't desired members for the major alliances. I'm aware that game mechanics of PA and can be Partner unfriendly (just ask my own GF)

Edit - I've suggested in the past that the PA team have a research and development team to try out new ideas and try ways of improving PA . Although appoco and co have made a few changes but I think there needs to be more changes to make the game more peak time friendly.

Last edited by Paisley; 9 May 2014 at 00:50. Reason: edit added more.
Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2014, 08:34   #19
on99

on99 is on a distinguished road

Totally agree. The biggest problem is actually clearly shown this round where the #1 alliance and #1 galaxy can just sit back and relax two to three weeks before the end of the round. At some certain point in the game, only the top planets and alliances get bigger while the others sort of stagnate. That is when players are starting to give up hope. One or two def fleets from top planets can just stop a 4 a 5 man teamup, easily. It is not about not being able to land an attack, you still can, with 20 man, but all you do is pick up some roids. They have it back the day after. With 4k roids, you're just able to make so much more than the average player, that it seems impossible for the majority to catch up. If there were 200 or 300 more players, nobody would even argue with the length of the rounds.
on99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2014, 10:49   #20
Motti
Just Awesome

Motti has a spectacular aura aboutMotti has a spectacular aura aboutMotti has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post
While i agree with you that this round should have ended last friday at the latest, there have been plenty of rounds recently that have remained entertaining throughout all 7 weeks. I would personally suggest varying round lengths where after a minimum of 5 weeks PATeam decides to end it if it stopped being interesting, or prolong it with a week at a time after that if it is still open.
I challenge you to define criterias for PA team to call round not interesting.

Because that must apply for all players right - not just a few on AD ?

When a round is booring and tedious for some, it can remain fun and entertaining all 7 weeks for others - not everyone play for #1 alliance, planet or gal - that is for a mere few.

So tell me, how will one define a round to be not interesting ?

For example this round - which is AD approved as stagnate and booring, and should have been stopped a week ago....

#1 player has now changed 3 times?

last friday = shaz
few days later = sleepless
few more days = Hasu

for a stagnate and booring round sure little is happening in the rankings....
Motti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2014, 17:43   #21
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Personally, I think there needs to be options in order to end a round early. Sometimes it feels like a round is going on longer simply for the sake of it when it is already a forgone conclusion. Generally the only thing that changes are top planet ranks, which in truth have become more and more meaningless.

I would prefer there to be overall goals that can trigger an alliance to 'win' if it achieves them and ends the round at that point.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2014, 18:51   #22
fortran

fortran is a jewel in the roughfortran is a jewel in the roughfortran is a jewel in the rough

Implement after week 4 the possibility for each ally to build a "World Wonder"(choose a better name to fit the space scifi theme) and end the round if any completes it.
Unread 9 May 2014, 20:18   #23
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortran View Post
Implement after week 4 the possibility for each ally to build a "World Wonder"(choose a better name to fit the space scifi theme) and end the round if any completes it.
I'm also a Civilization 5 fan aswell.

I do welcome Ideas.
Unread 10 May 2014, 09:06   #24
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I've suggested this before. It still seems fairly reasonable to me: the round goes on until alliances either refuse to stop the #1 (in which case the #2 and #3 deserve to lose), or are unable to (in which case the #1 deserves to win).

Quote:
This is a new element though, and I have to admit, I kind of like it. It forces war to take place on two fronts.

I have yet to see any noteworthy objections.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2014, 00:19   #25
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

ArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud of

Imagine this conversation:

Me: "Hi Fred, how's it going?"
Fred: Great thanks. You still playing that online space game we used to play?"
Me: "Yes - fancy giving it another try?"
Fred: "Sure. Is it still as much fun as it used to be?"
Me (lying through my teeth): "Oh yes - it's great but as there are fewer players it means that you'll need to be available (or contactable) at almost any time during the round."
Fred: Well - it was always like that in the old days too. A few weeks away from real life won't hurt me. Sign me up and we'll give it a go. When does the round start?"
Me: "Signups will open on Friday, 23rd May and ticks start a week later".
Fred: "Great, I can hardly wait. When does the round finish?"
Me: "We don't know - it depends on how long it takes someone to win."
Fred: "Errrrrrmmmmm - maybe I'd better sit this one out. I don't want to spend several weeks playing only to find that I can't be around for the end."
Knights of the Green Shield R99 | Look Out of The Window R100 | Most of All R102
Hard of Hearing (2:7:1) R103 | The Lateness of Your Application (1:6:6) R104 | Kinnison of Tellus (5:1:2) R105
Unread 11 May 2014, 00:32   #26
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
I've suggested this before. It still seems fairly reasonable to me: the round goes on until alliances either refuse to stop the #1 (in which case the #2 and #3 deserve to lose), or are unable to (in which case the #1 deserves to win).

This is a new element though, and I have to admit, I kind of like it. It forces war to take place on two fronts.

I have yet to see any noteworthy objections.
When you have a Donkey towing a cart and the donkey refuses to move.
(when alliances wont hit top ally or galaxy etc) I suggested having alliance Golden roids http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=200409
as offering the Donkey a bigger carrot but when that fails then you must resort to using a Rod to make the Donkey move. hence http://pirate.planetarion.com/showpo...2&postcount=13

I do hope the PA team give this some consideration.

Last edited by Paisley; 11 May 2014 at 00:43.
Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2014, 14:55   #27
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcChas View Post
Me: "We don't know - it depends on how long it takes someone to win."
Mz: "But most rounds are won after 6 to 10 weeks."
Fred: "Alright, count me in!"
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2014, 15:09   #28
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
Mz: "But most rounds are won after 6 to 10 weeks."
Fred: "Alright, count me in!"

Or

"It's officially to end in 7 weeks but an alliance can win and end the round in domination before that. The 7th week date is like a deathclock to decide"

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Unread 11 May 2014, 15:10   #29
Influence
Finally retired

Influence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motti View Post
I challenge you to define criterias for PA team to call round not interesting.

Because that must apply for all players right - not just a few on AD ?

When a round is booring and tedious for some, it can remain fun and entertaining all 7 weeks for others - not everyone play for #1 alliance, planet or gal - that is for a mere few.

So tell me, how will one define a round to be not interesting ?

For example this round - which is AD approved as stagnate and booring, and should have been stopped a week ago....

#1 player has now changed 3 times?

last friday = shaz
few days later = sleepless
few more days = Hasu

for a stagnate and booring round sure little is happening in the rankings....
I am very well aware this is a very hard task for the PA-Team to do. And quite frankly i have very little useful input on this. On the other hand it was quite obvious the top planet was gonna be decided between planets in 9:8, with Sleepless and Hasu having the biggest chance being on top in the end.

In the absence of the good old TiT alliance, look me up in VGN
Influence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2014, 15:58   #30
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zh|l View Post
Or

"It's officially to end in 7 weeks but an alliance can win and end the round in domination before that. The 7th week date is like a deathclock to decide"
That one is better, in that it defines a clear maximum duration (which could even be 8 weeks).

The previous suggestion didn't contain any such limit - hence my post.
Unread 11 May 2014, 16:33   #31
Clouds

Wouldn't it be like the PA team playing God if they get to decide if an alliance is dominating the round? Surely they wouldn't be aware of current round politics.
Unread 11 May 2014, 16:37   #32
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Quote:
Wouldn't it be like the PA team playing God if they get to decide if an alliance is dominating the round? Surely they wouldn't be aware of current round politics.

No, the specifications for ending the round early would be within the game itself. Thus my suggestion of "If alliance x controls 51% of objectives then round ends within xx ticks". I should clarify it requires the alliance to hold onto these objectives during the duration too to win.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Unread 11 May 2014, 17:05   #33
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

I'm liking the Ideas but its how to get the ideas from stage 1 (brainstorming) into stage 2 (development)