User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 24 Jan 2003, 06:59   #1
Wî†ne§§ †GñA†

Thumbs down I wonder what they have to do to make Eagle scout?!

Hmm, nice games certain Europeans have been playing!

:eek:

COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Parents of more than 100 Danish scouts were outraged over a game of tag at a scout camp in which children acted as Jews wearing yellow Stars of David and tried to escape from adults pretending to be Nazis.

The group of about 160 scouts, aged 11-14, included a dozen teenagers from the Danish-speaking minority in northern Germany. The school yard was turned into a concentration camp with swastikas on the windows.

"I was shocked," Johanna Christiansen, a German woman, told the Ekstra Bladet newspaper on Thursday.

"It's wrong to expose children to this," said Christiansen, whose two daughters took part.

The local branch of the Danish Christian FDF scout organization organized the game last weekend at the Kongeaadal school, 260 kilometers (160 miles) southwest of Copenhagen.

Jes Imer of the local FDF chapter told the tabloid B.T. that they "may have crossed the line this time with a night game where Nazis chase Jews."

The school yard included a sign with the German words "Arbeit macht frei," or "Work will set you free," the infamous inscription over the entrance to the Auschwitz concentration camp in Poland.

"I don't know whether I should apologize," Imer told B.T., adding "I didn't want the game to hurt anyone."

None of those involved could be reached for further comment.

(jo-mpm)
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 07:00   #2
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
That really is just funny.
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 07:03   #3
Wî†ne§§ †GñA†

Quote:
Originally posted by Snurx
That really is just funny.
You're kidding, right?
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 07:05   #4
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
heh whoever dreamed up that game should be shot. It's gotta be the fking oddest, most idiotic thing I've seen in ages...I don't think we woulda dreamed of doing anything like that when I was a scout.
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 07:06   #5
Zapman
Homesick

Zapman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Wî†ne§§ †GñA†
You're kidding, right?
Children... what can you say?
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 07:06   #6
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Quote:
You're kidding, right?
Yes.

(Im pretty tired, so my humor is like )

Anyways, that's sick, and the persons responsibile really should not work whit children.
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 07:12   #7
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
But somehow, cowboys and indians is acceptable?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 07:14   #8
Snurx
Dirte

Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
Not in my book.
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 07:14   #9
Nixjim
Commander

Nixjim is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Not even a close comparison.
Nixjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 07:15   #10
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
actually, cowboys and indians has evolved to more equal footing (I always wanted to be the indian )..it's also not an activity that is sponsored or condoned by any organization.
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 07:21   #11
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
But the indians have the real bows + arrows with the suction cups!

Granted, the cowboys have the uzis that make the clicking sounds, but ain't the same without projectiles...

(Hey, you gotta make use of the toys you've got)

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 07:23   #12
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Nixjim
Not even a close comparison.
Why not? Aside from the equal footing part* which Sandsnake mentions, it's still making a kids game out of a pretty genocidal part of history.

* = And even if the story was "Scout master tells kids to play a game 'NAZI's and Jews' where the Jews are fighting (as opposed to just running) I think there'd still be a fair amount of shocked response.
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 07:30   #13
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:
Why not? Aside from the equal footing part* which Sandsnake mentions, it's still making a kids game out of a pretty genocidal part of history.

* = And even if the story was "Scout master tells kids to play a game 'NAZI's and Jews' where the Jews are fighting (as opposed to just running) I think there'd still be a fair amount of shocked response.
Cowboys and Indians is where a group of kids decide, on thier own, to play a game where some of them will be cowboys and some will be Indians.

In example above, the Adults played the Nazis and chased the kids, who they pretended were jews. It was THE ADULTS who wanted to play this game.

Also, in real history, the Indians did a pretty fair job of standing up to the Cowboys, it was the soldiers and the diseases that killed most of them.

There is nothing wrong with kids playing cowboys and Indians, or war games for that matter. They only see it as a game, and like Sandy most of them WANT to be the Indians. Adults making them play it would be a different matter, which is what happened in the above metioned article.
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 07:34   #14
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Quote:

While that is a very sad time in our history, it doesn't create the shockwaves or leave the scars that the holocaust did. While it's one of the darkest aspects of our history, it was a war. A very, very sad and horribly misguided one, but names like Custer didn't become household for slaughtering kids. In some cases, the US Army's actions were even justified (note the use of the word "some"), so that the "war" was one of combat rather than open slaughter of individuals who didn't and couldn't fight back.

Basically what I'm saying is that "cowboys and indians" simply doesn't hold the mental impact or even the horrible connotations. "Cowboys and Indians" did not teach us that the US had the power and the indians were weak. This game by those individuals did.
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 07:36   #15
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick
Its pretty pathetic when society gets to the point when remembering history and the evils of it is unnacceptable. The world would be a lot better if we just forgot all about WW2 yea?

Of corse! you know the old saing... those who dont learn from history are doomed to repeat it. or is that what someones want?

I dont understand how reminding kids in a very realistic and tangible way of the horrors of the nazi's could be a bad thing. The comments coming from the parents sound similar to the type of parents who would be horified if their kids saw fish being cleaned. (GHASP!!! THEY CUT THE HEAD OFF WITH A KNIFE!!!) I dont know the specfics of what was going on, but I dont think they were glorifying the nazis, not forgetting is a very important thing.
reminding is one thing. Creating a tasteless game with no educational value whatsoever is another.

You can't tell me those kids learned ANYTHING from that.
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 07:36   #16
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:
Its pretty pathetic when society gets to the point when remembering history and the evils of it is unnacceptable. The world would be a lot better if we just forgot all about WW2 yea?

Of corse! you know the old saing... those who dont learn from history are doomed to repeat it. or is that what someones want?

I dont understand how reminding kids in a very realistic and tangible way of the horrors of the nazi's could be a bad thing. The comments coming from the parents sound similar to the type of parents who would be horified if their kids saw fish being cleaned. (GHASP!!! THEY CUT THE HEAD OFF WITH A KNIFE!!!) I dont know the specfics of what was going on, but I dont think they were glorifying the nazis, not forgetting is a very important thing.
Although I kind of agree, I think the point of contention is that the parents were not consulted before hand. Parents like to mantain some control over what, and how, thier kids learn certain things. Most people do not think of scout camp as the best place to re-enact the Holocaust.
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 07:45   #17
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by Nixjim
There is nothing wrong with kids playing cowboys and Indians, or war games for that matter. They only see it as a game, and like Sandy most of them WANT to be the Indians. Adults making them play it would be a different matter, which is what happened in the above metioned article.
Nothing is mentioned in the article about the adults forcing the kids to do it, or the kids being reluctant. The adults may have suggested the game, and the kids been happy participants (I'm not saying this is what happened since I have no idea, but it's equally likely). I doubt the adults were trying to be malicious, I suspect they're just idiots who didn't realise they'd be getting tarred and feathered for it.

I realise that kids are often the ones who initiate Cowboys and Indians. And more power to them. But I don't think the reasons you've outlined are the real reasons why the parents (and Yahoo by implication) have for being "outraged". They're outraged because "OMG, you're glorifying the holocaust" which I find interesting since if a similar incident occurred with the adults playing Cowboys chasing the kids (Indians) it certainly wouldn't appear on the news, would it?
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 07:49   #18
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:
Nothing is mentioned in the article about the adults forcing the kids to do it, or the kids being reluctant. The adults may have suggested the game, and the kids been happy participants (I'm not saying this is what happened since I have no idea, but it's equally likely). I doubt the adults were trying to be malicious, I suspect they're just idiots who didn't realise they'd be getting tarred and feathered for it.

I realise that kids are often the ones who initiate Cowboys and Indians. And more power to them. But I don't think the reasons you've outlined are the real reasons why the parents (and Yahoo by implication) have for being "outraged". They're outraged because "OMG, you're glorifying the holocaust" which I find interesting since if a similar incident occurred with the adults playing Cowboys chasing the kids (Indians) it certainly wouldn't appear on the news, would it?

My whole point was that there is no way to honestly compare this to cowboys and indians, it's the old "apples and oranges" thing.
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 07:51   #19
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Quote:
if a similar incident occurred with the adults playing Cowboys chasing the kids (Indians) it certainly wouldn't appear on the news, would it?
Actually, it probably would. Like I said, it's not an activity sponsored by adults or any organization. Weakness being portrayed in a people that are often displayed as proud and strong is something most americans frown upon. We're also a touchy lot who tend to find insults where none are.
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 10:10   #20
Evil Skragg
And you expected Kittens?

Evil Skragg will become famous soon enoughEvil Skragg will become famous soon enough
The game itself sounds fun, but the context is just fouler than radioactive Elephant dung with assorted razorblades, barbed wire and used junkie needles in it.

Then again, the Adults ("Nazis") didnt subject the kids to a slow and painful death with cyandie gas, followed by a mass burial, when they were caught escaping now....did they?
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 11:01   #21
Monkeypimp
Banned

Monkeypimp is an unknown quantity at this point
they're 'native americans'

Collumbus used them as slaves after calling them indians.

he wasn't very nice yet americans celebrate him with a 'day' leaving the score at America: -150,000 rest of the world: 6

actually i think he used the south/central americans as slaves more.

I dunno most of this post is random stuff off the top of my head.
Monkeypimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 17:02   #22
Wî†ne§§ †GñA†

Quote:

If you honestly think that was the motivation behind a GAME, where kids are supposed to laugh and giggle and have fun, then you are a spastic ignoramus.

I'm sure 6 million Jews, Gypsies, and even sympathizers of the same giggled all the way to the gassing rooms.
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 17:06   #23
Idi

IF WE PRETEND THE NAZIS NEVER EXISTED MAYBE ALL THE JEWS WILL COME BACK ALIVE?
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 17:52   #24
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by Monkeypimp
they're 'native americans'

Collumbus used them as slaves after calling them indians.

We were calling them Indians long before anyone thought up the inaccurate name "Native American"

They are not natives, they immigrated here from Asia, and it did not become "America" until the Europeans arrived. Just because they found it first does not make them any more "native" than I am.

Political correctness is wrong, call a spade a spade.
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 18:17   #25
bobble

bobble is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
If you honestly think that was the motivation behind a GAME, where kids are supposed to laugh and giggle and have fun, then you are a spastic ignoramus.

I'm sure 6 million Jews, Gypsies, and even sympathizers of the same giggled all the way to the gassing rooms.
rick is well known for being a spastic ignoramous.
CNN is liberal bull****...no wonder you people are so ****ing stupid. If you want a real News Channel try Fox News.
bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 18:35   #26
Idi

kids play cops and robbers and cowboys and indians, there isnt much difference between that and nazis and jews!
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 18:38   #27
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Idi
kids play cops and robbers and cowboys and indians, there isnt much difference between that and nazis and jews!
Must...not...bite......must...not...feed......
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 18:53   #28
Idi

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
Must...not...bite......must...not...feed......
You assume im trolling but im not. The holocaust was a terrible thing, but I don't feel that children playing 'holocaust' in any way shames the memory of the dead. If anything it reinforces how terrible it was that such a thing happened upon the youth of today.

Everyone is so quick to throw their arms in the air with regard to any mention of a horrific event that has occured, that soon these events wont even be part of our memories or history.
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 19:11   #29
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: I wonder what they have to do to make Eagle scout?!

Quote:
Hmm, nice games certain Europeans have been playing!
:eek:
Europeans > Danes.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote