User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 22 Jan 2003, 06:18   #1
CondoleezzaRice

Why the UN should sanction another resolution after UNSC 1441

Optimists will say that inspections did uncover and destroy many of Saddam Hussein's illicit weapons in the 1990s and that a continuation of inspections and deterrence is preferable to a major war. Critics of the idea will worry that Hussein is just promising inspections to stall our march to war and that he will obstruct the work of inspectors once the threat of a U.S. invasion recedes.

In fact, it is too soon to know whether the Bush administration has achieved a success. It has at least managed to make the threat of war real enough to convince Hussein to soften his blustery stance. But no Iraqi disarmament has occurred, and none is guaranteed.

Moreover, Hussein outmaneuvered the administration this week, accepting a relatively lenient set of demands based on the existing U.N. Security Council Resolution 1284 before the United States could work with other countries to develop a new and tougher resolution linked to the threat of force. Because virtually all U.S. allies would prefer even a flawed inspection process to war, the administration's job of crafting an ultimatum that enjoys international support is now more difficult. Russia has already challenged the notion that a new resolution is necessary at this point.

The good news is that the administration still should be able to recover. Specifically, it should be able to lead the international community in crafting a Security Council resolution that toughens the 1999 U.N. Resolution 1284—which made some sanctions relief contingent on Iraqi cooperation with weapons inspectors, rather than complete disarmament. The U.S. needs to keep arguing that Iraqi disarmament, rather than inspections per se, is the core demand that must be met before the lifting of sanctions can be considered. It needs to get the rest of the world behind this view. And it needs a new and stronger resolution to formally remind Hussein of the consequences of noncompliance.

A new resolution must insist, of course, that Iraq readmit weapons inspectors, fully support their work and ensure their immediate access to any and all sites—including presidential palaces and compounds.

The United Nations must have exclusive prerogative to determine the composition of inspection teams and be able to immediately grant asylum to Iraqi weapons experts and their families should they provide information to the U.N. that could put their lives at risk.

The resolution also must demand that Iraq vigorously start the disarmament process. It must account for, display and allow U.N. destruction of certain stocks of chemical and biological weapons and munitions that we know it possesses.

It must do all this within a short, specific period.

Looking to the longer term, Iraq must agree to intrusive, long-term monitoring of its weapons capabilities. These demands are already found in existing resolutions, but they need to be spelled out.

Specifically, the international community needs the right to demand no-notice inspections whenever and wherever it wishes, even if sanctions against Iraq are lifted someday.

Restrictions will have to remain on Iraq's oil revenue, and industrial countries will have to establish rules for controlling Baghdad's importing of potentially dangerous technologies.

The U.S. also needs to hold separate talks with Iraq's neighbors. Because these countries would all prefer to avoid a U.S. invasion of Iraq, they need to agree to stop their illicit trade with that nation—by which oil comes out and many goods, including weapons and dual-use technology, enter Iraq. This would require detailed negotiations with Jordan, Turkey, Syria and perhaps even Iran, including consideration of some combination of economic incentives and strong pressure that would depend in its details on the country in question.

These demands are tough, but they are also specific and focused on Iraq's weapons rather than its internal political practices. They are far from unreasonable, as U.S. allies should recognize. And yet they also create an ultimatum tough enough that allows us to take yes for an answer from the Iraqi regime. At the moment, Iraq's yes is not quite good enough.
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 06:19   #2
NightSinner
Gimp Handler

NightSinner is an unknown quantity at this point
--------------
As professor of political science, I have been on the Stanford faculty since 1981 and have won two of the highest teaching honors -- the 1984 Walter J. Gores Award for Excellence in Teaching and the 1993 School of Humanities and Sciences Dean’s Award for Distinguished Teaching.

and you come here to post?
<Blue|WORKING> they are all sitting on a LAN
<Blue|WORKING> DUH
<[RO]NightSinner> hehe
<[RO]NightSinner> my mistake
<TomKat> Lithuanian Area Network
NightSinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 06:20   #3
CondoleezzaRice

I was researching over the internet using a search to see where people may be mis-informed over the situation and my son plays planetarion and he mention you people
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 06:21   #4
Ap0k
Spritely:

Ap0k is an unknown quantity at this point
prolly beats the hell outta trying to explain stuff to Gee Dubya
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 06:21   #5
NightSinner
Gimp Handler

researching what? troll material?
<Blue|WORKING> DUH
<[RO]NightSinner> hehe
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 06:21   #6
Dreadnought!

Unread 22 Jan 2003, 06:23   #7
CondoleezzaRice

I am unaware of this word "troll" probably some arpanet slang anyway i shall move onto another messaging board thankyou for your opinions but i can see my valuable time here is wasted
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 06:24   #8
Dreadnought!

Unread 22 Jan 2003, 06:24   #9
NightSinner
Gimp Handler

well u simply come here post a long thread with really no questions or reasons to your motivations...we are just examining the proverbial bug
<Blue|WORKING> DUH
<[RO]NightSinner> hehe
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 06:27   #10
Zapman
Homesick

Zapman is an unknown quantity at this point
Troll.

Next please.
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 06:28   #11
NightSinner
Gimp Handler

Quote:
Originally posted by CondoleezzaRice
I am unaware of this word "troll" probably some arpanet slang anyway i shall move onto another messaging board thankyou for your opinions but i can see my valuable time here is wasted

oh and might i suggest if you are really moving on to visit Jolt

you will be surpirsed what idiots you will have to deal with there...please be my guest and try to "educate" them although i doubt that possible :/
<Blue|WORKING> DUH
<[RO]NightSinner> hehe
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 06:33   #12
Zapman
Homesick

Zapman is an unknown quantity at this point
Find the sig...
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 06:35   #13
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
I believe the real Condoleezza Rice wouldn't have made so many grammatical errors in 'her' posts.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 12:51   #14
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice
What I can't understand is all the invasions the US keeps planning.
Theres only enough oil left in the entire world for about 60 years use.
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 14:39   #15
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

the_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Cmdr_Cyrax
you've looked everywhere then have you?
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 14:51   #16
Fifth_teletubbie
Commander etc

Fifth_teletubbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Proclaiming your awards in your signature, ostensibly to provide some credibility, is no substitute for actually providing arguments that hold up to scrutiny.

Policy aside, what it boils down to is the right of one country (US) to (attempt to) dictate to the international community how to deal with another country that may or may not have violated previous sanctions; for all their blustering claims to the contrary neither the US nor Britain has actually shown any evidence.

Your whole statement bypasses that question and moves straight on to implementation issues.

Ostraka: It's a Social Club with guns (and K-Y)
Fifth_teletubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 14:51   #17
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts
Quote:
I was researching over the internet using a search to see where people may be mis-informed over the situation and my son plays planetarion and he mention you people
WHO IS YOUR SON!?!
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 14:58   #18
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

If you have time to post stuff of that length on internet forums like this one, during international crises like the one we're in, then you're not doing your job properly, Condy.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 18:02   #19
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Tbh, ive seen polar bears that go undercover better than DF3 members

lolzors theyll never know its us!!!!

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 19:15   #20
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
If you have time to post stuff of that length on internet forums like this one, during international crises like the one we're in, then you're not doing your job properly, Condy.
plagiarism doesn't take very long.

Though it makes jokes about how bad her writing style and grammar all the more funny.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 00:47   #21
Texan
Prince of Amber

Texan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fifth_teletubbie
snipped sanctions snipped
Do you mean sanctions or treaties here? I think there is a difference, even if you do not.
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 01:07   #22
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I think you are forgetting one tiny detail, the U.S. couldn't care less wether or not saddam has weapons.
They just want his oil, if the weapons are no longer available as an excuse they'll just say that his ears are too pointy if you get my drift.
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 01:13   #23
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Cmdr_Cyrax
Let's see, all cars, airplanes, generators need oil for their fuel.
If we have 60 years of oil left, either we start making structural plans within the next 20 years of replacing all these things or we're gonna find ourselves without any fuel at all.

So, if you're the one who controls allll the oil in the world, and everybody wants it, and nobody has it.. guess what makes you that?

In control *ding ding ding*.
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 04:05   #24
Idi

The fact that the level of English used in the original post, and the posters replies is so radically different clearly dictates that the author and the poster are not the same.

The author may well be a Dr./Professor/janitor at a University, but the level of English coming from the replies is more than likely from a dodgy foreigner.

And the fact that they gave up so quickly also indicates that they are dodgy.