User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Read it... is this a good idea?
It could be, with good mods and activity 76 47.50%
No, it'll still get spammed and trolled 26 16.25%
Not sure, but let's try it 27 16.88%
gd is teh place 4 d3b4tin! Y move it?!1 31 19.38%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 09:29   #51
Zapman
Homesick

Zapman is an unknown quantity at this point
Could work, but I wouldn't use it personally.
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 18:44   #52
Androme

I'd love one. I debate a lot everywhere.

Unread 17 Dec 2002, 12:49   #53
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
OK, I changed my mind... I'm quite interrested in a debating forum now... Atleast that saves one to wade through the spam on GD to find a debating thread.
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 01:54   #54
Donkie

has anyone else noticed that were debating for a debate thread in a calm and orderly manner? it seems that the words "real debate, not just spam, flames and the like" has turned away most of the spammers.

Personally, i would love to see one, but one with a little extra flavour. When you sign up, you are randomly selected as "for" "against" or "jury". You then, as many people have suggested, have 2 days to research the subject [should be important, and fairly recent lik Human cloning, and the situatiuon with Iraq. You then have a week to post your views counter-acting and pre-empting the opposition.

But then, there are two days of questions, where anyone can post a question to eithr "for" or "against", and this team would have to answer the question. The same question can be posted to both "for" and "against" at the same time. Then, the Jury cast their vote, and the winner is announced. (it would also be nice to see the public vote on the subject, which would hold no power in the debate, and could only be seen after the jury has decided, but would be interesting to see weather the jury and the public agree)

Then, a break before the title of the next debate is announced.
Also, i would like to see more interesting debates, and i would like them all to be presented in the same manner Something like...

"A Scientific research company has announced that it has cloned the first human being, which was born on December 26th, 2002. Adress the complexities,advantages and disadvantages."

Just a few ideas floating around my head, but i definetly agree.

Unread 28 Dec 2002, 02:00   #55
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Donkie
"A Scientific research company has announced that it has cloned the first human being, which was born on December 26th, 2002. Adress the complexities,advantages and disadvantages."
Of what? Human cloning in general, or the claims of the crackpots?
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 02:13   #56
Donkie

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Of what? Human cloning in general, or the claims of the crackpots?
I dont mean to base the entire debate on human cloning, but i was using it as an example of the material we may cover. Its recent, has both a "for" and "against" argument, it is important, and is a global issue. Also, if you look at how i have presented the statement, i think it would be more fitting if this was taken as an idea.

Eg, you are given a statement which is clear about the intentions of the debate - i.e no messing about spending 2 days researching the damn thing. If someone just said "human cloning" it could have anything to do with the actual process, the philosophy behind it, the religious or social point of view, the economical or political point of view.

It just helps clear the argument so more presice and descive point can be made about the actual argument - not just someone dithering on about bits and bobs of something generally related.

Unread 28 Dec 2002, 02:19   #57
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Human cloning in general has one basic counterargument. One of spirituality. There is little else that could oppose it. To use technological arguments against it would be like criticising flight in general as being too dangerous after the First World War.

On the other hand, the state of current technology is such that there is very little technological support for it, so basing the argument on current times would have the balance swung the other way.

etc etc
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 02:23   #58
Donkie

well done mr. holmes, would you like a medal? how about a kiss from a lovely lady? [/sarcasm]

no, i did not want the answer, but i was using it as an example of the kind of argument which we could face, and how it should be presented.

Unread 28 Dec 2002, 02:29   #59
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Donkie
well done mr. holmes, would you like a medal? how about a kiss from a lovely lady? [/sarcasm]

no, i did not want the answer, but i was using it as an example of the kind of argument which we could face, and how it should be presented.
And I was discussing the merits of the topic on a thread about the possibility of a discussion forum on General Discussions.

Seems reasonable to me.
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 07:38   #60
RIT

We have a dedicated **** slinging forum, its called Alliance Discussions....

Unread 30 Dec 2002, 11:40   #61
Androme

"So what's up doug?"

"We getting one or not doug?"

Unread 30 Dec 2002, 17:43   #62
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
would be good to put all the trolls in i suppose.
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 17:48   #63
Idi

its a silly idea as people arent even using this thread really to debate the idea of a debating forum!

Unread 31 Dec 2002, 08:25   #64
Rhumsaa
Radish

Rhumsaa is on a distinguished road
don't segregate GD anymore!
Unread 31 Dec 2002, 18:33   #65
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

It could work out. Always worth trying.
Unread 1 Jan 2003, 16:30   #66
Vermillion Jnr

Re: Dedicated Debating Forum - Would you use it?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
Hi,

We're considering setting up a dedicated debating forum, in a true debating fashion.

For those of you who've never taken part in the sport of debating, it goes a little something like this; A topic is chosen, the two teams are given a set time to do research and prepare. The actual debate gives each team the chance to speak twice - generally it's best to be the second team. The opening sessions are used by each team to explaim the reason behind their argument, and to persuade whoever decides (the "judge/jury" can vary in it's configuration). Anyway, the second session tends to be all about negating the other team's arguments, and arguing against any negation done to your's!

Now the point isn't so much to be right - it's to win the argument. I've debated and won, when I've actually been totally opposed to the argument I've been championing.

Anyway, this format won't work here, due to the medium we use (i.e. this forum). What's proposed then is for a very strictly moderated forum, with lots of active mods (made up also of the debatees themselves). The mods would have two roles; firstly to ensure that there's no spamming, trolling, flaming etc. They'd also ban users who frequently disrupted debates. The other function would be to encourage debate - maybe post a debate on a regular basis?

What we need to know is if you think this is a good idea, and if you'd be able to put in a bit of time to take part in fairly regular debates?

We're not sure if we'll host it here, or on the NetGamers forums - as the future of PA still isn't 100% clear (expect news soon!).

Cheers,

M.
orange

Unread 2 Jan 2003, 06:20   #67
Vermillion Jnr

Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
It could work out. Always worth trying.
you have no balls my dear sir

Unread 2 Jan 2003, 14:39   #68
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Vermillion Jnr
you have no balls my dear sir
A personal examination proves otherwise.
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 02:35   #69
Jo

Suck it and see

the forum, not marilyns balls

Unread 12 Jan 2003, 19:33   #70
WST
A Big Pile of Awesome

WST is on a distinguished road
is this going to happen then
public opinion is with it, and there's nothing to be lost........
Unread 13 Jan 2003, 06:13   #71
paranoia away

Quote:
Originally posted by WST
is this going to happen then
public opinion is with it, and there's nothing to be lost........
yeah, hey i will even be a regular there

Unread 13 Jan 2003, 09:22   #72
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
I can't believe this is still a sticky.
Closed Thread