User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 31 Mar 2010, 17:51   #1
berten
respect, unity, order

berten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the rough
A take on integrating randoms into Buddypacks

For quite some years now the planetarion universe has been set up with galaxies consisting of buddy packs and randoms.

Over the rounds we've seen various strategies around this setup, going from sheer luck (There always seems to be a galaxy that ends up with 10 active planets, while others can keep exiling inactive planets the entire round) to controlled fortressing.

The fortress and lucky gals set aside, this system has lead to quite some frustration within galaxies (and buddypacks who are imo the core of each galaxy) that were seriously weakend because of having only a half-active galaxy. (Example: last round we saw buddypacks not even able to get a galaxy commander elected)

This round 'and yes i'm biased here' our lovely private galaxies are back and this obviously solves all the problems for the die-hard planetarion player.

Looking at the universe rankings tough it appears that the random galaxies are not able to keep up with the private ones, altough they are more then twice as big.

Both randoms and new players end up in those random galaxies and know they'll be the universe's toyballs for 1000 ticks unless they manage to hop into the 1-2 active random galaxies out there.

Now, for the experienced players who choose to go random you could maybe say, tough luck try again next round. For the ocasional noob trying out this game it's a quick route to "I'll go play mafiawars instead'.

I've been thinking about a way to get those randoms more involved into the universe without running into the problems the universe has had over the past years.

In order to achieve this we must in my opinion
  1. Take out the luck-factor
  2. Take inactive planets out of the equation
  3. Encourage randoms/newbies to be active and give them an instant reward for that
  4. Do a better job into teaching newbies what planetarion is all about

The following is just a draft of some plans I came up with while having a smoke.

I suggest a system where we have our buddy-packs form the core of our galaxies. The system here shouldn't change to much, 1 bp / galaxy etc etc.

The new part of my plan is how to deal with the randoms. I want to put a system into place where buddy-packs can 'select' randoms into their galaxies. Now obviously we can't do this based on purely x:y:z information as that would just mean we'll have 40 fortress galaxies playing vs eachother. We need an objective way for galaxies to invite randoms into their midst.

I want to put into place a skill-system. All planets get 'skill' points based on actions they take both in the game as in the meta-game (Next to the basic quest system I would also take into account 'registering yourself for recuitment on irc', ...).

Randoms would gather skill-points overtime (this could go pretty rapidly, basicly your basic skill-set could be completed by tick 1) - and based solely on these skillpoints galaxies can choose to request a random to join their galaxy.

Each galaxy can accept a total of x-skillpoints into their galaxy. If u want 2 very skilled players you can take those in, if you rather take the chance and accept 6 active newbies you can make that choice.
If a buddypack decides to stay fully private they also have this choice, but will they have a chance against a semi-private galaxy twice their size?

Final note i want to make: The skill-points should be the sole base for selecting which random to accept. No nicks, no coords, just points and achievements (eg: has this user been on irc, ...)

As i said, just a draft, please discuss
Unread 31 Mar 2010, 18:24   #2
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: A take on integrating randoms into Buddypacks

can't you put randoms up for some kind of auction at tick 24? which gets ended at tick 48? where people bid against eachother and the winning gal pays the second highest bid.
at the end these resources will be distributed to the galaxies in reverse order, so if you have spend the most you receive what the galaxy that spend least spend and so forth (or some other market-distribution mechanism)
Unread 1 Apr 2010, 10:06   #3
Duo

Duo has a spectacular aura aboutDuo has a spectacular aura about

Its not about randoms keeping up, because by definition, most randoms are less active and thus will never be able, and should not be able to keep up.

I think this round is actually an example of how it could work. The more randoms that fill up a gal, the less chance you can just go noobroiding them. And the more bad priv gals disband, the more 'experienced' players can help the random gals along.

Chances are you'll always have someone experienced end up in your gal, and with 19-20 ppl atleast some will come on IRC
Unread 1 Apr 2010, 10:15   #4
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo View Post
Its not about randoms keeping up, because by definition, most randoms are less active and thus will never be able, and should not be able to keep up.
This is barely coherent.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2010, 12:16   #5
VenoX

VenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant future

The only problem I can see with this current system is that every half-active player and his wife decided it was a good idea to priv gal this round. This has led the weaker gals to be 8 man farms instead of the 19 man farms they would have played as as a random. I am inclined to agree with Duo as I believe next round there will be a lot less priv gals as the "weaker" players realise that going random is a whole lot better than going private with poor players. This would then increase the quality of the random gals overall, not to the level of priv gals obviously, but then atleast they have strength in numbers.

I do agree however that there needs to be some more comprehensive help system for new players. Having to teach completely new players the game every time they land in your gal requires a lot of time and patience and without their complete co-operation is basically impossible.

Oh and just a note, I did go random this round, and my gal is decently active after a lot of exiling and I've met some nice newer players that have been more than willing and able to learn the game.
Unread 1 Apr 2010, 15:46   #6
izverg
Banned

izverg is a glorious beacon of lightizverg is a glorious beacon of lightizverg is a glorious beacon of lightizverg is a glorious beacon of lightizverg is a glorious beacon of light

isint it better to try random gals only?
izverg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2010, 21:06   #7
Gerbie2
Alive and kicking

Gerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenoX View Post
The only problem I can see with this current system is that every half-active player and his wife decided it was a good idea to priv gal this round. This has led the weaker gals to be 8 man farms instead of the 19 man farms they would have played as as a random. I am inclined to agree with Duo as I believe next round there will be a lot less priv gals as the "weaker" players realise that going random is a whole lot better than going private with poor players. This would then increase the quality of the random gals overall, not to the level of priv gals obviously, but then atleast they have strength in numbers.
The random gals have strength in numbers this round because almost everybody went private. That resulted in very few random galaxies at the start. The weaker private galaxies have started exiling to these few random galaxies. That has lead to large random galaxies and as the round progresses they will only get larger.
Gerbie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2010, 21:16   #8
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

See, I counted yesterday, we had 35 private and 15 random galaxies in the top 50. I'm hearing a lot of people go on about how random galaxies are so strong this round, but honestly, I'm not seeing it.

And to be quite honest, many people were stupid for going private. It's hard work and if no one is on at night to DC, yeah, you're going to get ****ed hard. Maybe you should've thought of that before you took on the responsibility.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 4 Apr 2010, 17:50   #9
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Personally I'd prefer pure random gals next round. I'd definitely view this as a possible system for the future though.
Unread 5 Apr 2010, 10:34   #10
VenoX

VenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant future

full random would definitely be interesting.
Unread 5 Apr 2010, 10:50   #11
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

why not allowing each alliance 1 private gal (kind of flagship gal).
Unread 5 Apr 2010, 10:56   #12
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Merging. Leaving/rejoining. Fake tags. I could go on.
Unread 5 Apr 2010, 11:41   #13
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

and what about that single priv gal being used to calc the alliance score...
Unread 5 Apr 2010, 14:57   #14
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil View Post
why not allowing each alliance 1 private gal (kind of flagship gal).
How do you know what alliance everyone is in, at the beginning of the round? Private galaxys are sorted at shuffle, so all players would have to do, is join the alliance after shuffle.

If we're keeping private galaxys, i'd much rather a system of forcing alliances to take both private and random players. For example, if the alliance limit is 100, then an alliance would only be allowed to have 60 members in a private galaxy and 40 in a random galaxy. This would mean, that if you wanted to go over 60 members, you'd have to ask players to go random (which in turn, would make random galaxys stronger). It also means that if you want to recruit more players, you've got to recruit them from the random pool. Also, if you used those numbers, 70-80 planets would contribute towards the alliance score, making sure that those alliances with random players in as well as private would get a score advantage from doing so (advantage over alliances which just went full 60 private galaxy members).

That system would also have a nice knock-on effect, that an random player which is doing semi-well.. would be highly valuable to any alliance (if they was looking for an alliance).
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Apr 2010, 17:54   #15
HeimdallR

HeimdallR will become famous soon enoughHeimdallR will become famous soon enough

Started late this round, about 5 days ago,
got lucky about 3 days ago that i landed a random gal along with some other
decent players at the same time.
and we got luck the following days that some more "irc actives" exiled in.

The couple of random gals i exiled in where just pisspoor, with a max of 3 people on irc, meaning some players had just given up on this round or new players that just got raped the first 5 days that they lost interest in the game,and now are nothing more then farms.

Can blame it on a lack of organization in those random gals, but that was to expected no? when you throw 6 noobs in a gal with 6 people that have never even played with eachoter.

If life hands you lemons, drink more tequila

After the game is over the king and the pawn end up in the same box

HA - asc -rdm-asc-VR- #ODDR - APP
Finally retired
HeimdallR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2010, 13:20   #16
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

why not stick to priv gals, this round is the most interesting one in ages

and i am with venox assuming that there will be a lot less priv gals next round, which will make the random gals stronger

yet is to be prooven that no random gal will win the round anyhow
i doubt it but its possible, small alliances struggle to hit em meanwhile due to their size, and the big allies have more urgent problems then a medi-fat random gal

but if no priv gals i am pro fully random aswell

"Itīs not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2010, 13:35   #17
VenoX

Just thinking out loud here actually but, if the game had a passport system (as has been discussed numerous times before (why has it never been implemented?)) that held some sort of permanent score based on the users previous ranks/activity/whatever, then this could be integrated into any random/priv gal system whereby random players are spread out based on their scores, this would give each random gal a similar backbone to the other random gals and allow newer players to join better players, learn from them and hopefully stick around for the future.

Not sure I explained this so well but as I said, thinking out loud, hopefully someone will grasp what I'm attempting to suggest although it's kinda irrelevant without such a passport system in place.
Unread 6 Apr 2010, 13:53   #18
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenoX View Post
Just thinking out loud here actually but, if the game had a passport system (as has been discussed numerous times before (why has it never been implemented?)) that held some sort of permanent score based on the users previous ranks/activity/whatever, then this could be integrated into any random/priv gal system whereby random players are spread out based on their scores, this would give each random gal a similar backbone to the other random gals and allow newer players to join better players, learn from them and hopefully stick around for the future.

Not sure I explained this so well but as I said, thinking out loud, hopefully someone will grasp what I'm attempting to suggest although it's kinda irrelevant without such a passport system in place.
I was thinking of this but in order to do it, you need to give extra bonuses to repeat signups. Otherwise, players going random (trying to exile into good gals) will simply sign up with a different email address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0RPH3US View Post
why not stick to priv gals, this round is the most interesting one in ages
I dont see how private galaxys has made this round interesting other than the 'its a change' factor. Alliance politics and the alliance tag has had alot more effect
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2010, 16:57   #19
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
I dont see how private galaxys has made this round interesting other than the 'its a change' factor. Alliance politics and the alliance tag has had alot more effect
just simply cause u donīt see it it still is a fact for me miss PA-

i can even tell you why...

1) i dont have to play with shit randoms who cant wake up for incs

2) i dont have to exile 100 times to land in a rarely decent gal

3) i can play the game from tick1 as i want to play it - be it i want to fence or fortress or simply have a good set of players, not bothering about their alliances too much

and if u want to tell alliance politics changed the round to be more interesting then the past rounds, pls let us know how so ?

according to my intel alliance politics are the same shit like usual with the exception that there is 3 blocks soon and not just 1 block vs 1 superior alliance, mainly due to the fact neither apprime or asc are playing a full tag
but thats about the only thing that has changed

keep it with priv gals, i am 100% sure the ordinary PA player who logs in 2-3 times a day is better off in a 20+ man gal, while other gals have 8 - as in a 10 man gal while everyone else has 10 aswell

"Itīs not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2010, 20:14   #20
Onim
the inquisition incarnate

Onim is a name known to allOnim is a name known to allOnim is a name known to allOnim is a name known to allOnim is a name known to allOnim is a name known to all

12 random gals are currently in top 30 galaxys.

10 random gals are in bottom 30 .

total random gals: 28. I think random gals are doing better than the threadstarter thought they would

I for one have started in a random gal and i must say it has been my best round in ages, playing with noobs yes, but when u are able to teach them you can have quantity that can match quality!

if only 3/4 of the gal is active, you still have 18 ppl x 3 fleets which surely can match a priv gal of 8. I see no reason to think that random gals are the gals that get beat more often than private gals do.

Ofcourse, this is mainly due to alliances focussing more on eachother than on roid accumulation. But thats how rounds evolve, and i think it works great for random gals who get late joiners etc.

To add to that: a random gal is the perfect place for a player who's new or returning from years ago to try it again. They gotta get hooked to PA, and when they join a channel they should immediately see at least some ppl online who they can chat with. I spoke to quite a few new players and they became more active because they were helped by the first ppl he met in IRC.

activity will be rewarded with more activity. I started in my gal with only 3 ppl online, had to create galchannel and get ppl to vote for GC, get ppl who know the game to stay and help out and teach noobs how IRC works and what alliances to join. All so much more fun than being with 8 ppl u know for rounds already

sorry for my somewhat unstructured post, but I just wanted to let the ppl who are still in a priv gal know how it can be in a random one, and to let the universe know that random isnt as bad as it may look at all , if u care about the community more than u care about personal rank then random gal is the way towards great fun

"It never hurts to Help!" [Eek the Cat]

Denying existence during r3-6 and back in denial since r22
Onim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2010, 13:18   #21
joopster

joopster is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Onim.
New players or returning players in random gals need to get updated by more experienced players. If you help them during the round, the game will be much nicer and interesting for them. Next round(s) they will return again (sometimes introducing new friends) and they know how to play. Next round they will teach their friends how to play the game.

I started to play this game around round 25, because a friend of me played it (Imperio).

Last rounds I had a lot of new players in my gals that I helped. The least thing you can do is mail them and ask their IRC nick and ask if they played the game before. New players don't know what's best to do in the game. Just help them out (you can point them in the direction you want). If people enjoin the game, they will be more online and the new active players could also be your last wall of defence with incs...

The more 'active' people we have in this game, the more fun it is to play.
joopster is offline   Reply With Quote