User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 10 Sep 2004, 01:06   #1
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point
For those that live with roommates and have to share an internet connection.

What is your experience with them and do you use any bandwith splitter programs you could reccomend (xp platform only in here).

I'm currently situated where I'll be sharing a connection of 300 kb/s between myself and another pc up the stairs, talked to the isp companies about splitting the line but apparrently that'll do nothing etc for the way the bandwith works and we are best networking and sorting it out from there.

So basically I'm concerned that they'll start downloading something and the pc's won't think a minute to suddenly hog the connection to download whatever video/mp3 etc and absolutely ruin my latentcy to whatever game I'm playing while it happens, I'm hopping to find something that tell's each pc to only use half of the potential bandwith so we both get a fair good performance that doesn't affect our gameplaying.

So any input I can recieve on this issue will be appreciated, I'm sure JJ had a case of sharing bandwith with his roommates? How did you fix that?
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2004, 01:13   #2
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: For those that live with roommates and have to share an internet connection.

your ping with CS will be ****ed! that's your fear, isn't it?
Unread 10 Sep 2004, 01:19   #3
Sunday8pm
Banned

Re: For those that live with roommates and have to share an internet connection.

Wow a first reply troll. Great Hans, do you seriously have anything to contribute or are you just wanting to hijack a thread? wait no don't answer that just **** off please if you have nothing useful to add.
Unread 10 Sep 2004, 01:19   #4
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

http://www.netlimiter.com/ (or suprnova )
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2004, 01:19   #5
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Live with it. You said it would be wonderful and didnt take this into consideration.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2004, 01:21   #6
Sunday8pm
Banned

Seriously guys, I'm just asking for any advice/input with experience on the issue, not for trolls/hard luck with absolutely no validation pointing out why. (i.e. kura if you are telling me to live with it care to point out in which ways there is no alternative to this?)

p.s. Cheers 1-X, any experience using this program?

p.p.s. it's only a 28 day trial, know any long term free programs?
Unread 10 Sep 2004, 01:53   #7
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

just make sure you connect with a router, and not directly with one pc via modem...

wait.... you didn't think of that....

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2004, 06:51   #8
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I share an internet connection, and latency isn't usually a problem with downloads.

However, sometimes if someone is uploading (say using E-Mule, or Bittorrent) it can be a pain. I have been in poker heads up games and watched my chips fade away to nothing as I "Sit Out" of hundreds of hands in rapid succession...

I've thought about installing a bandwidth sharing program, but ultimately I find restraint on everyone's behalf is easier.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2004, 08:06   #9
RealJames
Retired at the top

RealJames is infamous around these parts

I lived in a shared house with a shared ADSL and we had no official limits. We all used KaZaa to download and upload and all just set the bandwidth limits so that even if we were all running up to our limits there was spare bandwidth for browsing or gaming. Now obviously you have to have a good relationship with your housemate(s) but really for us this worked far better than any hard and fast system. If someone wants to hammer the bandwidth do it when everyone is asleep or out at work/uni/dole queue.

"That's what the internet's for - slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards, J&SBSB
RealJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2004, 09:34   #10
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place

talk to the other person
find out if they are likely to download large stuff and if so when
work around this to both get the best out of the connection
Unread 10 Sep 2004, 10:15   #11
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday8pm
p.s. Cheers 1-X, any experience using this program?

p.p.s. it's only a 28 day trial, know any long term free programs?
I haven't used it in a network, but I know it has options for this. If you were the only one using the connection at the time, you could untick a box and have it all. (or you could set limits for individual programs)

Means to extend the trial indefinitely, "unofficially register" etc are widely available.
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2004, 12:22   #12
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I used to simply go into my housemate's rooms and turn off Kazaa if they weren't in and left it on. It worked great . Mine wasn't too bad though, as we had a router.

I suggest google or go to the Tech area of the PA forums, Sunday. You'll get better answers there.
Unread 10 Sep 2004, 12:30   #13
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
I used to simply go into my housemate's rooms and turn off Kazaa if they weren't in and left it on.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2004, 14:13   #14
Sven

Sven is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I too would like possible solutions to these poroblems. Some people say a good relationship with your house mates - however with 10 people all sharing 1 line, that might not always work.

Some say a router, but personal use of one already at a friends, when either of us started downloading anything (ie, browsing forums) it would screw up the others latency on CS/BF/Eve or whatever it was we had decided to play at the time. I have a decent router (Netgear) and although I havn't browsed its options yet, I don't actually think I can use it (adsl router, NTL line.. bugger.)

Real solutions to this problem would be really useful.

Thnks,
Sven.
Round 6 - WolfPack
Round 7 - FAnG
Round 8 - FAnG
Round 9 - FAnG (also 9.5)
PaX - FAnG before Eclipse.

An Angel at heart, driven to madness.
Veni Vidi Vici, slogan of the Angels.
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2004, 14:21   #15
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Didn't you used to go into one of their rooms and mess about with her vibrator while she wasn't in Thomas ? Fag.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2004, 14:38   #16
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

use a linux box and manage it properly :P
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 10 Sep 2004, 15:21   #17
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Ninja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud of

Am I the only one to find irony/humour in Sunday complaining about people trolling in his thread?

Im afraid I can't help you though because I am currently looking for the same thing.
Unread 10 Sep 2004, 15:29   #18
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Me and my flatmates are sharing a 3MB cable (telewest) connection, and even that slows when using bittorrent.
Unread 10 Sep 2004, 15:48   #19
Rick111

Rick111 is on a distinguished road

Rick111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2004, 16:07   #20
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks
Didn't you used to go into one of their rooms and mess about with her vibrator while she wasn't in Thomas ? Fag.
Turn off Kazaa.
Turn on Rampant Rabbit.

It's the logical option.
Unread 10 Sep 2004, 17:28   #21
Quazi Starbucks
Heh

Quazi Starbucks is an unknown quantity at this point

http://m0n0.ch/wall/
Quazi Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote