User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 27 Apr 2009, 20:13   #1
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future
End of protection impressions from someone who hasn't signed up for many rounds.

This is a follow on thread to http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=197716 where I discussed my initial impressions after signing up. Here I plan to say what I think up until the end of protection.

Good things

-I thought 72 ticks of doing nothing would be dull, however there is plenty to do especially with meeting new galaxy members etc. Probably more to do in my case as I went random so had more people to meet, but still 72 ticks actually feels about right. It would be good if there were more quests to do during protection - perhaps the real flaw here is that so many can be done before tick start.

-I'm inactive and I have a decent rank at this stage - sure my rank will plumet over the next week as I get roided to pieces, but its nice that I can at least get something out of the game without loosing any sleep.

-The ability to specify a pa mail that goes to new members of your galaxy when they join. This is an excelent tool for getting people involved and active.

Bad things

-people in my galaxy are already thinking about exiling people. And I'm not talking super inactive people, I'm talking people who have made breif IRC appearances. I'd also point out that I'm not in a galaxy full of super actived hard core players, my galaxy mates are not in top 10 alliances and yet they still seem to be trigger happy when it comes to exiling. This only makes me more convinced that exiling needs to go.

-User interface - one thing that has come to annoy me is the seeminly randomness of things such as font size and spacing. the in game forums are good a good example - the initial display when you go in looks poor with just a list of threads - it just doesn't look interesing. Another good example is the spacing between the tables on each page that hold the diaplyed information, in my opinion there is far too much space between them - its makes the pages big and ugly. So I'll reiterate my early point - a complete user interface overhaul is required.

-consitency between in game elements. In my mind research and construction should be the same - in both cases you should be able to start and stop (in the case of constructions, a paused construction should take up and infrastructure position) and both should have queues. While I might be favouring the inactives too much - I think being able to queue once would make me, somoene who can only be online briefly in the morning and in the evening much more competitive - if I struggle with my activity levels, where will we find new players?

-web site speed - the pages that involve heavy database access are slow, this is annoying.

-links to external sites e.g. stats. I've thought about this a bit, and have decided I'd much prefer it if things like stats didn't goto an external site. Perhaps what I'm really after though is much tighter portal/game integration.

I know I've concentrated on bad things here, but its all the little userinterface inconsistencies, and ugliness things that have really grabbed me during proteciton - they are the things that mean I actually get annoyed while playing the game. The interface needs to make the game a pleasure to use and easy to use. I should want to log in purely to play with the interface - I shouldn't be bored and annoyed with it after such a short period of time - just think how much its going to be annoying me by the end of the week.

On a plus point, at this stage at least I haven't found anything fundamentally wrong with the game - I think the concept is still good, I think the game is going to keep me interested, all that really needs to improve is the interface.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2009, 20:26   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: End of protection impressions from someone who hasn't signed up for many rounds.

Nice post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal View Post
While I might be favouring the inactives too much
As long as you're not hurting the hardcore players too much (which you're not), this is impossible.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2009, 20:35   #3
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of
Re: End of protection impressions from someone who hasn't signed up for many rounds.

Quote:
-User interface - one thing that has come to annoy me is the seeminly randomness of things such as font size and spacing. the in game forums are good a good example - the initial display when you go in looks poor with just a list of threads - it just doesn't look interesing. Another good example is the spacing between the tables on each page that hold the diaplyed information, in my opinion there is far too much space between them - its makes the pages big and ugly. So I'll reiterate my early point - a complete user interface overhaul is required.
I've been using this for my skin for the last few rounds (names and coords have been changed), the forums are a particular favourite of mine.

In Game Forum redesign

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2009, 20:36   #4
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
I've been using this for my skin for the last few rounds (names and coords have been changed), the forums are a particular favourite of mine.

In Game Forum redesign
which skin is that?

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 27 Apr 2009, 21:36   #5
Cincinnatus
PA Team

Cincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud of

Quote:
-web site speed - the pages that involve heavy database access are slow, this is annoying.
which pages would that be? i really haven't found much pages that's got more than 0.3-0.5sec load times, exception being the ally defpage with loads of reported fleets etc.
MultiHunter Team -#multihunters
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2009, 21:47   #6
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
which pages would that be? i really haven't found much pages that's got more than 0.3-0.5sec load times, exception being the ally defpage with loads of reported fleets etc.
I was counting that as fairly slow

the universe pages tend to be fairly slow, also for me the forums one seem to be as well.

EDIT - it seems that its just universe misc thats a little slow

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 27 Apr 2009, 21:57   #7
Cincinnatus
PA Team

Cincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud of

Quote:
I was counting that as fairly slow

the universe pages tend to be fairly slow, also for me the forums one seem to be as well.

EDIT - it seems that its just universe misc thats a little slow
not really sure you can count that as slow, all things considered, but there might be a few queries etc we can optimize. Most pages load at around 0.2sec for me so and there are those that's quite a bit below 0.1, but the universe misc page is slower will take a look a those queries.
MultiHunter Team -#multihunters
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2009, 22:04   #8
BoredPaPlayer

BoredPaPlayer will become famous soon enoughBoredPaPlayer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
-people in my galaxy are already thinking about exiling people. And I'm not talking super inactive people, I'm talking people who have made breif IRC appearances. I'd also point out that I'm not in a galaxy full of super actived hard core players, my galaxy mates are not in top 10 alliances and yet they still seem to be trigger happy when it comes to exiling. This only makes me more convinced that exiling needs to go.

Removing exiling will only lead to hc players registering multiple accounts and sticking with the best one after shuffle. I already found the removal of the galaxy disband option strange for this round, especially since currently if conditions are met the green 'Your gal is in the lowest 10% and gal disband is available' message still appears on overview. This just leads to quicker self-exiles since there's no free 'everything has gone wrong, let's hit the red button' option.
BoredPaPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2009, 22:07   #9
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Quote:
which skin is that?
Should have mentioned its a Round 5 skin one that I recreated, and using the opera browser you can overwrite the PA CSS.

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 27 Apr 2009, 22:10   #10
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Should have mentioned its a Round 5 skin one that I recreated, and using the opera browser you can overwrite the PA CSS.
so we dont have to use the crap they provide?! WOOHOO! green blob for that little beauty

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2009, 02:03   #11
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Quote:
Planetarion is so dependant on good/active players to have any chance of getting a good rank in the game that just removing it would be harmful. I assume that a fair chunk of people who play Planetarion are determined - maybe not play to win, but at least play as best as possible to get a good score.

Simply removing exiling for galaxies might remove some players hope. Galaxies exile inactive players in the hope that their replacements might be a bit more active. Cut off this and players might just decide to abandon their planet and come back for the next round instead, if they're in a deadend galaxy without enough resources for yet another exile - why bother playing?

I think what's needed is more help to lower ranking galaxies before you even consider it. I'm not suggesting that galaxy exile should stay, but you need to improve the situation for lower ranking players before you cut off things like this.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2009, 02:42   #12
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

you could reduce the amount of exiles each galaxy gets to say 5 or so.
That way they will think twice before exiling semiactive players.

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2009, 03:16   #13
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

As far as Disbanding galaxys goes, i like the fact that there are now lots of small galaxys but i fear the implementation has been wrong and its strongly punishing exiles and new players. As after around 1 week when galaxys have stopped exiling people, all the new players will then join these 'crap' galaxys with only 2-5members in them giving them a rotten experience.

I think for disband galaxys we need to find a safe way to determine which galaxys should be allowed to disband and which ones shouldnt.

For exiling, Wishmasters suggestion seems ok.. As it makes semi-active players alot more valuable and makes it alot more risky to exile them.
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2009, 07:12   #14
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
why not give the skin to PATeam to include in the game?

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 28 Apr 2009, 07:13   #15
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
you could reduce the amount of exiles each galaxy gets to say 5 or so.
That way they will think twice before exiling semiactive players.
I like this idea.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 28 Apr 2009, 17:52   #16
Zeke

Zeke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes please, that was my favourite skin, and round 3 skin
great work MrLobster!!
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2009, 20:04   #17
Psi_K
Canadian to the Core

Psi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Probably due to many owners the legality of the skin is iffy?
Who knows.
The older skins are better then the majority of the options we have now sadly :crymeariver:
r18-19 [eXi]
<Intermission>
r31-32 [CT] - r33-35 [DLR] - r36 [VsN] - r37 [???]
r45-46 [FAnG]
Psi_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2009, 15:42   #18
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi_K View Post
Who knows.
The older skins are better then the majority of the options we have now sadly :crymeariver:
r6-9 cathaar FTW

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2009, 17:31   #19
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi_K View Post
Who knows.
Considering the R3, R5. R6 (TE,CA,XA,ZI) was used in game, I dont think that too many problems exist with reintroducing them (even if recreating them).

I will have a look at perhaps totally new skins and also look at sending over the r3/r5 skins for use ingame.

The main problem with current skins, are a partial implementation.

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 30 Apr 2009, 20:35   #20
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Quote:
It's not just the look of the interface, but how it works is just absolutely awful. I've decided to try covops this round, it's horrific to try and organise. The typical process:

- Pick a suitable planet, should ideally be 5 times my value to get the maximum gain from it. First problem - Planetarion doesn't actually allow me to order the universe ranking by value - just score! Looks like I have to use a third party site (Sandmans) to find targets which are good enough.

- Scan a planet. Firstly I need to check to see if I've picked the planet before recently - maybe I've already scanned it recently and it's a planet I should avoid. Well, I can search through my scans, if it exists I can click on the previous can to check it - but I can't add any notes to that particular planet very easily. Of course if I want to actually scan again I'll have to enter the co-ords another time just to get the new scan.

- Attack! Erm - get the calculator out! Firstly the covert ops manual page is an absolute disgrace, it's a complete wall of text which would take quite a while for anyone to read through and understand. I did eventually figure out the numbers of agents I need for a particular covert operation, but that's where I left it.

The game has no builtin calculator to calc the odds of me being able to perform a successful covop against a particular planet. Apparently LCH has (or had) one, but their site is currently dead so I don't even know if it works or if it's accurate this round. So without a calculator I've got no idea what the chances are of a successful operation - something which is absolutely vital when deciding if you should attack a target or not.

The problems here are both poor documentation and poor user interface.

I mean, covert operations are supposed to be something which the little planets are supposed to be able to use against enemies they've got no other chance of attacking. This is something which should be ideal for new players to use to make a difference - yet it's so damn confusing and awkward to use if you do actually understand it.

It needs to change so badly.
Unread 30 Apr 2009, 22:42   #21
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper View Post
I mean, covert operations are supposed to be something which the little planets are supposed to be able to use against enemies they've got no other chance of attacking. This is something which should be ideal for new players to use to make a difference - yet it's so damn confusing and awkward to use if you do actually understand it.
There you go again, throwing phrases like "supposed to" and "should be" around without once giving it a moment's thought or providing any arguments why it should be so.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2009, 23:23   #22
GReaper
The BOFH

Okay, I would assume that some of the covert operations are an ideal tool for small planets to make a difference - especially given that resource transfers are designed to be used against planets 5 larger in value than your own. Yes they've got other great uses as well, but this should be a feature which should be given to new players as a decent playstyle.

How it all works along with the interface is still shit regardless of who uses it.