User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 30 Oct 2009, 17:20   #1
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of
A Universe of Change

So I was looking at the way PA currently works. Mainly at the way the universe works.

I was thinking of a way to include planetary conquest, without getting bombed to the stone age once you lose all your planets.

So I came up with this VERY basic idea.

The Solar System
1) Everyone starts in one solar system.

2) Each player can only have 1 planet in this system.

3) It takes 12 hours to travel inside a solar system (-1 tick for def), ships have no individual ETA's. It might be worthwhile including personal thruster research for faster travel inside a system.

4) This planet cannot be captured by anyone else and will always be yours, however it can be attacked with the loss of resources/roids/ships (as is normal PA).

5) This mode is basically for single player (current PA).

The Universe
1) The Universe contains many solar systems (but a limit is imposed to promote fighting for territory/resources).

2) It takes 24 hours to travel to each solar system (without jumpgates). But fleets can remain indefinitely at the destination.

2) Each solar system provides resources for alliances only, which can be distributed by Alliance MoD.

3) A solar system will include a capture system, which would need to be looked at in more detail for fairness and fun.

4) A system held by an alliance gains the ability to build unique items to help in protection, resource management. One idea is Jumpgates, to gain faster access for alliance members between systems.

Alliances
A few changes to the way an alliance works.

1) Heads of State and Ministers
Galaxy Minster Positions are held at alliance level.
a) Ministers of Development - This person controls resources from captured systems and research.
b) Ministers of War - Control the alliances fleets (landing craft etc).
c) Ministers of Communication - Controls alliance Spys (Spys explained at the bottom) and Communications.

2) Alliance Research
a) Think of a research tax, each alliance members contributes RP to the alliance with which it can use to increase alliance abilities.
b) Alliance research jobs are massive compared to the player based versions. Research could include enhanced jumpgates (Level 1 Jumpgate is -1 tick travel to a system, Level 4 Jumpgate would be -4).
c) After thinking that large alliances have a huge advantage in the ResearchTax (with simple addition), Alliance RP would be worked out by the following.

AllianceRP = (Total_RP_from_members / total_members) * 10.

This way even the smaller alliances can compete with the larger ones. Also means that the more RP your members produce the bigger the average.

3) Each Alliance has a HeadQuarters, which it needs to construct the connection for the jumpgates.

4) Chief MoW and the TaskFleet.
Alliances gets a new ability which is land assault craft/drop ships/and troops,these are controlled by the Alliance MoW and can be sent by him/her to a target planet.These new vehicles are used to capture/defend systems (control of the capture to be discussed).

Other Notes:
1) Single resource "credits" only, met/cry/eon are removed.
2) Ships eta are removed and its just a basic 12/24 hour travel.
3) Spys now handle the information that is currently gained by "Waves". Spys take 1 tick to get the information in the same system, but "x"number of ticks outside (value to be decided).
4) Races are removed in favour of research which determines the ships you get (tech tree), so you have the ability to obtain all ship types (cloak, steal, emp, etc).

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx

Last edited by MrLobster; 30 Oct 2009 at 19:07.
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2009, 17:41   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: A Universe of Change

It sounds somewhat interesting, but I am pretty certain you're proposing an whole new game here. Not that there's anyhing wrong with that, mind you.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2009, 18:08   #3
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

sounds a bit like www.astroempires.com to be honest

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2009, 18:15   #4
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
It sounds somewhat interesting, but I am pretty certain you're proposing an whole new game here. Not that there's anyhing wrong with that, mind you.
Mz do you do anything but stalk the forums all day and night :P

The majority of the game is intact.

However the idea of the "Galaxy" is removed. I feel this would help the current farming aspect of weaker galaxies and the alliances would focus on attacking/defending the Outer Systems. This also removes the current Fortress Galaxy approach.

So the Core System is a place where individual (non-alliance) people can battle. But this doesnt mean the alliance cannot attack in there, but with no single focus point (Galaxy), they have to pick individual targets.

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 30 Oct 2009, 18:20   #5
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzambo View Post
sounds a bit like www.astroempires.com to be honest
Maybe so (not seen that before I posted the idea), however i'm trying to not stray too far away from current PA Design.

I'm also keen to keep things as simple as I can, while trying to include ideas.

EDIT: I added/changed a few things on the original post, including a revised Research Tax plan.

<Ave> both has bad gfx

Last edited by MrLobster; 30 Oct 2009 at 19:07.
Unread 31 Oct 2009, 01:54   #6
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

The idea of solar system over planet is logical and would fit much better into the game.

However i don't think you should conquer other solar systems for your alliance, I think exploring your own solar system and finding the planets and moons that would give you extra resources and various bonuses would be enough.
I prefer to keep the solo aspect of the game instead of making the alliances a must have.

If you explore and find new planets and new moons you should have to maintain a fleet (or troops) there to gain bonuses. An enemy attacking you at one of those places and destroying your force would cancel your bonuses until you send a force back there.

The eta system would stay the same as current game and adding an eta5 for solar system travel (coz of different less powerful propulsion used... just like you can fly from Paris to London in 1 hour but it also takes 1 hour to visit your friend in the suburbs taking your car).

The extra planets/moons would be managed by a system of tabs on the overview. Each planet or moon could be renamed.

Your solar system would still be part of a galaxy working just as the current ones

This was discussed before and MZ came up with the idea of moons which would be a first and easy step.

It's possible to implement the idea of solar system without changing much of the current game mechanics (adding tech tree branches, constructions, ships... ).
Your giant leap for the community could start with that small step.

Last edited by Makhil; 31 Oct 2009 at 02:00.
Makhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2009, 08:35   #7
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

Currently having an alliance is already a must have, the fact that any person that claims to play solo and gets a good ranking, still friendly with at least one alliance.

Actually I think my idea is actually better for the individual player, as alliances are more likely to concentrate on the Outer Systems, and move away from general public.

So with moons/planets they can never be conquered? Thats a major part of a revamp I'm trying to achieve, to get the alliances fighting over territory.

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 31 Oct 2009, 09:58   #8
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

moons/planets could be conquered if that's the direction pa wants to take. I still think the changes should be introduced little by little.