User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 25 Nov 2004, 19:10   #1
Add

Add will become famous soon enoughAdd will become famous soon enough
Graphics card

recently upgraded from a 32mb gforce 2 mx to a 128mb gforce 4 5500 fx

games like splinter cell run okish on reduced settings, or appear to (i cant view my fps in those), the problem comes when i play cs, when i first installed it i got about 5fps, after messing with the settings i got it to 20fps but i only get that if i'm lucky. with my old card my cs fps was only limited by my monitor refresh rate (so i got roughly 75fps constantly). i have the latest drivers for the card etc so i really don't know what the problem is
Unread 5 Dec 2004, 07:05   #2
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Graphics card

hi Add.

Whats the specs of your cpu/memory/mainboard etc?
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2004, 22:18   #3
Add

1.8ghz 380odd ram and motherboard i dont know. i dont think any of those are the issue though as the smaller card ran faster...
Unread 12 Dec 2004, 16:04   #4
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

This is just a guess but does the power supply affect things like this?
Unread 12 Dec 2004, 17:46   #5
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

There's no such card as a geforce 4 5500 fx. There is a GeForce 4 series, a GeForce FX series, and a GeForce 6 series now too. Each series is a new generation, going all the way back to the GeForce 2 series card you just replaced, and the original GeForce.

So what card do you actually have now?
If you go into Display Properties, to Settings, and click Advanced and then go to the Adapter tab, what does it say you have? For example, mine says GeForce4 Ti 4200.

Yes, power supply does come into with high end cards but the FX 5500 is not a high end card. It's the FX series' equivilant of the MX line in earlier series; the budget line. Unless you've got a really underrated PSU that shouldn't be the problem, although I'm a bit mystified as to what is at the moment.
Does device manager have any devices with warnings flagged?
Unread 12 Dec 2004, 18:15   #6
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Are you running CS in DirectX or OpenGL mode? Or God forbid software...
Unread 16 Dec 2004, 21:46   #7
Add

it says fx 5500, i was told it was a geforce4 hardware really isnt my thing and cs is in opengl i think, its in the better of the two, i doubt it's cs settings, as with the previous card all was running fine
Unread 17 Dec 2004, 11:05   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Well on the bright side you've got a slightly better card than you thought then

Anyway, yes it's very odd that it should behave like this.
I'd try reinstalling CS (as this is clearly a CS issue, if other games are working) in case it's somehow got tied in to the old card. Also, try the 3 different rendering modes and tell us what happens.
Software should look crap but run quite well, and OpenGL and DirectX should be about equivilant to each other. Don't use the minigl driver if the option is given, as that is for old 3DFX (voodoo series) cards.