User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 11 Sep 2003, 09:19   #1
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
non-system disk - heh...

i got my new pc set-up jobby etc. - installed, all working fine.

then I earthed myself, before I went to install my old hdd mentioned in a thread a wile ago - main hdd is Prim. Master, CD-RW is Secondary Master & DVD-ROM is Secondary Slave

so I set the jumper setting on the 2nd hdd as Slave, put it in, connected it to the same ide cable as the 1st hdd, and booted up - but it came up with the non-system disk error message - so I took out the 2nd hdd (booted down first) and checked cables - same message

I cannot fdisk from a floppy as I have no floppies with fdisk.exe & the other files etc. and since the CMOS doesn't seem to recognise my HDD, I'm in a fuddle - I do remember once, with an old PC, when I fiddled around with changing the settings from Auto to something else in CMOS, I got that HDD in that PC working but I'm unsure of how to manually set the settings in cmos so that I can then reinstall windows or delete the partition and reinstall or wahtever ... heh...

sys details:

mobo: MSI neo-2 865PE, cpu: 2.8ghz p4 800mhz fsb, mem: 1gb ddr400, hdd: maxtor 120gb ata100

I'm off to consult the maxtor website to see if there's any fixes but atm. I'm without a pc at a time when I need it most heh... - thanks for any help.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores

Last edited by Androme; 11 Sep 2003 at 09:25.
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2003, 09:30   #2
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society
check if the jumper on master disk isnt set to 'Master Single' or 'Master without Slave'
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 11:07   #3
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: non-system disk - heh...

Quote:
Originally posted by Androme2
boot from CD ?
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 13:21   #4
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
nb3: the hdd wasn't being recognized so even the recovery cd didn't work, and the best option to if at least the partiton was still intact didn't work (fdisk)

anyway, under warranty, I got a replacement and everything is good as new, although I do experience some random crashes due to my gfx card (odd) - I did oc it once but it's back to defaults now
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote