User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 1 Jun 2003, 23:10   #1
Dookie Velvet
Banned

Dookie Velvet is an unknown quantity at this point
This is a thread about grammar

Which is more grammatically correct?

"we haven't gotten a chance to prove our worth yet."

Or

"we haven't got a chance to prove our worth yet."
Dookie Velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2003, 23:13   #2
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
The first, although got or gotten should be replaced with "been given".
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2003, 23:13   #3
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Re: This is a thread about grammar

Quote:
Originally posted by Dookie Velvet
"we haven't got a chance to prove out worth yet."
I guess option 1 would be the winner by default then
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2003, 23:14   #4
Dookie Velvet
Banned

The argument I'm faced with is that gotten doesn't officially count as a word.
Unread 1 Jun 2003, 23:14   #5
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of
Re: Re: This is a thread about grammar

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle29uk
I guess option 1 would be the winner by default then
I posted correcting that as well, but he did redeem himself... so i deleted it so no one would notice, you're just mean!
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2003, 23:15   #6
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
"We havent been given a chance to prove our worth yet
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2003, 23:17   #7
Dookie Velvet
Banned

Quote:
Which is more grammatically correct?
Unread 1 Jun 2003, 23:23   #8
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Both are wrong. It should be:

"we haven't had a chance to prove our worth yet"

By the way, if "gotten" isn't a word, what are "ill-gotten gains"?
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2003, 23:26   #9
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Proteus
By the way, if "gotten" isn't a word, what are "ill-gotten gains"?
Slang.

Btw wouldn't "We have yet to be given a chance to prove our worth" be better grammar?
CjC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2003, 23:29   #10
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by CjC
Slang.

Btw wouldn't "We have yet to be given a chance to prove our worth" be better grammar?
http://www.dictionary.com says "gotten" is a past participle of "got".

"I had the chance to do something" and "I was given the chance to do something" mean slightly different things.

And the placement of "yet" is stylistic, not grammatical.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Unread 2 Jun 2003, 05:54   #11
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
American English though isn't it?

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2003, 08:34   #12
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
Sing, a song about myself....
Oh, and if its in any way formal don't use "gotten"

Last edited by SYMM; 2 Jun 2003 at 08:43.
SYMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2003, 11:04   #13
HAL-9000
I'm great!

HAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud of
forgotten :O
Unread 2 Jun 2003, 11:12   #14
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Originally posted by SYMM
Sing, a song about myself....
Oh, and if its in any way formal don't use "gotten"
I didn't say it was formal, or good English. I merely said that it was a word, which it is.
Unread 2 Jun 2003, 11:25   #15
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
I wasn't talking to you proteus.
shh
Unread 2 Jun 2003, 12:22   #16
Obliterate
:cool:

Obliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant future
Quote:

"I had the chance to do something" and "I was given the chance to do something" mean slightly different things.

And the placement of "yet" is stylistic, not grammatical.
How can you have a past participle of a past participle? seeing as 'got' is the past participle of 'get'.

'Gotten' isn't in the english dictionary.
Unread 2 Jun 2003, 12:25   #17
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Originally posted by Obliterate
How can you have a past participle of a past participle? seeing as 'got' is the past participle of 'get'.

You can have alternate past participles.

Quote:
From the OED

GOTTEN
1. Obtained, acquired, won (chiefly with accompanying adverb). Now rare, exc. in ILL-GOTTEN.
Your dictionary is clearly poor.
Unread 2 Jun 2003, 13:05   #18
Freakozoid
Anon.

Freakozoid is an unknown quantity at this point
got/gotten change to had.
Freakozoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2003, 13:19   #19
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Originally posted by Freakozoid
got/gotten change to had.
Like I said.
Unread 2 Jun 2003, 15:32   #20
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Both are wrong. It should be:

"we haven't had a chance to prove our worth yet"
This is correct.

Also, 'gotten' might technically be a word, but the connotations of a word define at least half of its meaning, and I suspect that a lot of people will associate the use of "gotten" in most contexts with poor English.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2003, 15:36   #21
Proteus
Lord Denning

I was replying to this:

Quote:
The argument I'm faced with is that gotten doesn't officially count as a word.
Everyone just assumed I was condoning its use in proper English.
Unread 2 Jun 2003, 15:39   #22
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
I was replying to this:

Everyone just assumed I was condoning its use in proper English.
You should have taken the "what does it mean for a word to be 'official'?" angle instead :/
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2003, 18:39   #23
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Obliterate
it's not in the Oxford English Dictionary (which, quite frankly, is the only one that counts) but at a rough guess i'd say that 'gotten' is a colloquial term and therefore should only be used in informal writing or speaking, and then only rarely.
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2003, 19:08   #24
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Originally posted by Demon Dave
it's not in the Oxford English Dictionary (which, quite frankly, is the only one that counts)
Someone hasn't been paying attention...
Unread 2 Jun 2003, 20:18   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
it's not in the Oxford English Dictionary
Quote:
Proteus++
Quote:
From the OED

GOTTEN
1. Obtained, acquired, won (chiefly with accompanying adverb). Now rare, exc. in ILL-GOTTEN.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2003, 20:21   #26
Obliterate
:cool:

Obliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant future
Quote:
You can have alternate past participles.

Your dictionary is clearly poor.
hmm, i stand corrected.

*throws dictionary in bin*
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 11:23   #27
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Someone hasn't been paying attention...
well it's not in my version
We shall remember them.
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 11:53   #28
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
well it's not in my version
You obviously don't have access to the online complete OED.

Someone's got an abridged edition*!

*Which is to be expected, the full one takes about 10 trucks to carry around.
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 12:29   #29
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

i'm not surprised. and you're right, my version is the pocket Dictionary/Thesaurus combo. IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE ANTI-DISTABLISMENTARISM (or however it's spelt) IN IT!!!!!! what is the world coming to?
We shall remember them.
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 12:44   #30
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
i'm not surprised. and you're right, my version is the pocket Dictionary/Thesaurus combo. IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE ANTI-DISTABLISMENTARISM (or however it's spelt) IN IT!!!!!! what is the world coming to?
That would be "antidisestablishmentarianism".
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 12:46   #31
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
That would be "antidisestablishmentarianism".
it does have a hyphen in it, which is why it isn't in the dictionary I believe

Unread 3 Jun 2003, 12:48   #32
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
it does have a hyphen in it, which is why it isn't in the dictionary I believe
Quote:
From the OED

antidisestablishmentarianism
Properly, opposition to the disestablishment of the Church of England (rare): but popularly cited as an example of a long word.
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 12:51   #33
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
This is why I love JANet.

That and single figure pings and basically unlimited downloading bandwidth.
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 12:53   #34
Radical Edward

Quote:
sorry, I didn't notice it was you saying that or I would have believed you. I thought it had a hypehn in it though

Unread 3 Jun 2003, 12:53   #35
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
This is why I love JANet.

That and single figure pings and basically unlimited downloading bandwidth.
not at IC, well unless you are in the uni. the halls access is terrible. like 56k++

Unread 3 Jun 2003, 12:54   #36
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
sorry, I didn't notice it was you saying that or I would have believed you. I thought it had a hypehn in it though
Wow. I'm considered trustworthy!

This deserves a dancing banana.

Unread 3 Jun 2003, 12:55   #37
Radical Edward

Quote:
Wow. I'm considered trustworthy!

This deserves a dancing banana.

well you have access to the OED. there is literally no point argueing about wirds with you. we might as well argue about what is on my desk.

Unread 3 Jun 2003, 12:58   #38
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
we might as well argue about what is on my desk.
Could we? That might be fun!
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 12:59   #39
Radical Edward

Quote:
well have a guess. though it could take me some time to find out if you are right or not.

Unread 3 Jun 2003, 12:59   #40
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I have 2 gamecube controllers, a Dangermouse, several crisp packets, a couple of ethernet cards, other computer stuff, a bottle of grolsch and the Penguin Dictionary of Curious and Interesting Numbers, among other things.
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 13:02   #41
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Penguin Dictionary of Curious and Interesting Numbers

enlighten us about a curious and interesting number.

Unread 3 Jun 2003, 13:03   #42
Proteus
Lord Denning

Well I'm guessing both of you have computers.

Possibly some scrap paper, maybe a pen or pencil as well.

I give up.
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 13:04   #43
Radical Edward

2 computers actually. 6 packets of green tea, one mug, lots of paper and research papers, 3 books on programming, 2 books on quantum mechanics, one book on optics, some other books, some ink, some toilet paper, a used tissue a calculator and a highlighter pen.

Unread 3 Jun 2003, 13:05   #44
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
enlighten us about a curious and interesting number.

145 = 1! + 4! + 5!

The only other numbers that are the sum of the factorials of their digits are 1, 2 and 40585.

It is also the 4th number to be the sum of 2 squares in two different ways.

145 =12^2 + 1^2 = 8^2 + 9^2
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 13:06   #45
Radical Edward

I guess the dictionary is in numerical order then?

tell us another

Unread 3 Jun 2003, 13:27   #46
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I guess the dictionary is in numerical order then?

tell us another
Graham's Number. It's the biggest finite number with any point.

It's an upper bound in Ramsey theory, and it needs it's own notation to describe it.

Let 3^3 = 9, as it usually does.

Let 3^^3 = 3^(3^3)

3^^^3 = 3^^(3^^3) = 3^^7625597484987 = 3^7625597484987^7625597484987.

3^^^^3 = 3^^^(3^^^3), of course, and so on.

Now consider the number 3^^^.....^^^3, where the numbers of arrows is equal to 3^^^^3 (or 3^7625597484987^7625597484987).

Now have a number, 3^^^....^^^3, where the number of arrows is the value of the number you just obtained.

Repeat this for a further 61 iterations and you have Graham's Number.

They think the answer's about 6.

Last edited by MrL_JaKiri; 3 Jun 2003 at 15:45.
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 13:29   #47
Radical Edward

This is a thread about numbers

what's Ramsey theory then?

Unread 3 Jun 2003, 13:31   #48
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Re: This is a thread about numbers

Quote:
what's Ramsey theory then?
Something from combinatorics.
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 13:32   #49
Radical Edward

Re: Re: This is a thread about numbers

what's combinatorics then?

Unread 3 Jun 2003, 13:38   #50
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Re: Re: Re: This is a thread about numbers

Quote:
what's combinatorics then?
It's what Ramsey theory's a part of.

Anyway.

Numerology!

Psalm 46 to be precise.

The 46th word is shake.

The 46th word from the end is spear.

The translation was completed in 1610, when Shakespeare was 46.