User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 17 May 2003, 18:02   #1
Rhumsaa
Radish

Rhumsaa is on a distinguished road
Freelancer

How ****ing good is this game?

btw I apologise in advance to the 50 or so people who have already discussed this to death - clearly you are all ****ing ace but seeing as I missed all the waffle indulge me
Unread 17 May 2003, 18:06   #2
Black Dog
Dazed and Confused

Black Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really nice
It is ace. But:

storyline is a bit too short although good for the most part, too much time is spent on auto-pilot thus making reading a book at the same time essential and it's a tad repetitive after a while (trading system not that great for example).

Having said that it has the most comedy German accents in a game for a long time and is just good wholesome fun.
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2003, 18:07   #3
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
i didnt think it was that great tbh.
NEWSBOT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2003, 18:09   #4
Rhumsaa
Radish

I'll grant you that there is a lot of flying around and not much money to be made from trading but the multiplayer online game is quite good
Unread 17 May 2003, 18:11   #5
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
it's completely wank.

Not offering the freedom as it promised
The missions are all the same
The story line is so ****ing dull it's unbelievable
The cinematic parts are so damn over-hollywood it makes me wanna cry
No living market, everything stays the same price
I can go on but am watching Clockwork Orange atm

In other words:
besides the graphics and sound, Elite is still a more advanced game then this pile of wank.
Unread 17 May 2003, 18:14   #6
Black Dog
Dazed and Confused

Black Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really nice
Clockwork Orange is the mother of all disappointments.
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2003, 18:14   #7
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by Black Dog
Clockwork Orange is the mother of all disappointments.
I have no idea actually, just started it.
Unread 17 May 2003, 18:17   #8
LISELOTTE
sucking young blood

LISELOTTE is an unknown quantity at this point
its crap...
Unread 17 May 2003, 18:19   #9
Rhumsaa
Radish

Quote:
Originally posted by LISELOTTE
its crap...
don't test my patience Lise
Unread 17 May 2003, 18:37   #10
LISELOTTE
sucking young blood

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhumsaa
don't test my patience Lise
But it could be fun
Unread 17 May 2003, 18:41   #11
Rhumsaa
Radish

Quote:
But it could be fun
sure about that?
Unread 17 May 2003, 18:45   #12
LISELOTTE
sucking young blood

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhumsaa
sure about that?
yeah... i could write the game is crap using lots of time and dedication to explaine it to you, and W or that finnish lad will come by and say it rocks for some reason and arrogantly trying to insult me in any way possible. And then Jonneh will come by and say that the small post nod did in it made him gay... and we have it going for hours mate...
Unread 17 May 2003, 18:47   #13
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

the game is utter ****

I will defend you at all costs!
Unread 17 May 2003, 18:50   #14
Rhumsaa
Radish

Quote:
yeah... i could write the game is crap using lots of time and dedication to explaine it to you, and W or that finnish lad will come by and say it rocks for some reason and arrogantly trying to insult me in any way possible. And then Jonneh will come by and say that the small post nod did in it made him gay... and we have it going for hours mate...
actually you're right
Unread 17 May 2003, 19:13   #15
Haer
Aquafresh

Haer has a spectacular aura aboutHaer has a spectacular aura aboutHaer has a spectacular aura about
Its a good game on single player. Multiplayer is a tad boring. Everyone knows where to find the level10 weapons straight away and the best trade routes.

Played it through one, got a Sabre with some lvl10 weapons, and was done with it. Worth getting, but not as good as it could have been.

A good expansion could make it worthwhile. The trading system needs to be improved, the ability to own capital ships(And even space stations maybe), and a wider variety of missions. Plus a good universe editor would be great. The possibility of Babylon5/Star wars/Star Trek mods would make it into a classic.
Haer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2003, 19:21   #16
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSmoke
besides the graphics and sound, Elite is still a more advanced game then this pile of wank.
Agreed. Although I didn't hate it as much as you did, a lot of the game is style over substance.

I'm pretty convinced you should get apps (or user interface) designers to polish these types of games. In Freelancer, every time you go to the commodities market you get this stupid cinematic zoom...why?

Elite 2 had infinitely more depth than this thing, and that was made years ago. The potential for making an Elite style game (i.e. one with some depth) with a modern engine is pretty amazing.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2003, 19:40   #17
Freakozoid
Anon.

Freakozoid is an unknown quantity at this point
not played it as my PC is far too ****

but is it better than X : Beyond the Frontier
or whatever its called?

I thought that game was more than a little boring =/

X2: The Threat looks amazing though and is said to be much more Elite like

although I'm sure every game like it says the same thing.
Freakozoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2003, 21:20   #18
Deathjam
Banned

Deathjam is an unknown quantity at this point
i think the game desginers have watched a bit too much stargate

anyway the games ok till u complete it(far to easy to do) after that its crap

i haven't played it online yet tho

however i do like pirating the trade lanes
Deathjam is offline   Reply With Quote