User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 22 May 2003, 01:05   #1
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
although im very skeptical of such things

this does appear to have been independantly verified, though it'll take 6 months for definate confirmation.

And in in the telegraph, which whilst not the best of papers, is quite reliable.

"thermal energy cell" which appears to produce hundreds of times more energy than that put into it

sounds a tad far fetched, but still, in 6 months time we'll know...

Quote:
In tests performed for The Telegraph, the cell heated water to near-boiling, apparently producing more than three times the amount of energy fed into it.
Quote:
According to Mr Davies, the cell is the product of research into the fundamental properties of hydrogen, the most common element in the universe. He argues that calculations based on quantum theory, the laws of the sub-atomic world, suggest that hydrogen can exist in a so-called metastable state that harbours a potential source of extra energy
so then, what do some of you science type people think ?
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 22 May 2003, 01:32   #2
Kyoto
Lieutenant-Colonel

Kyoto is an unknown quantity at this point
I just punched ****** out of my pc after it said 'Cannot find specified drive' for the 100th time when tring to rip a game onto cd. It payed the price, and ive got a sore hand now.
Unread 22 May 2003, 01:51   #3
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Kyoto
I just punched ****** out of my pc after it said 'Cannot find specified drive' for the 100th time when tring to rip a game onto cd. It payed the price, and ive got a sore hand now.
im not entirely sure your post relates at all.
Unread 22 May 2003, 02:05   #4
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by NEWSBOT3
im not entirely sure your post relates at all.
It could be what he was thinking. Sadly enough.

Anyways, I'm not really the sciencey type (nor the clever type) but that does sound ****ing excellent and will hopefully give us a cost effective way of not using fossil fuels. Ace.
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2003, 02:10   #5
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally posted by Embroglio
It could be what he was thinking. Sadly enough.

Anyways, I'm not really the sciencey type (nor the clever type) but that does sound ****ing excellent and will hopefully give us a cost effective way of not using fossil fuels. Ace.
aye, if it works out it'll be quite nice.
Unread 22 May 2003, 02:50   #6
ggGGgg

ggGGgg is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it just me, or is this another gearbox like in cars?

(I have no physic or chemistry knowledge whatsoever.)
ggGGgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2003, 03:12   #7
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally posted by ggGGgg
Is it just me, or is this another gearbox like in cars?

(I have no physic or chemistry knowledge whatsoever.)
yes, but in the car you know where the energy is coming from.
these guys actually dont...
they just put eletricity in, and it produces a lot more heat than it should, much more than that eletricity can generate...
Unread 22 May 2003, 08:03   #8
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
only a 90% reduction? surely the trick would be to get the steam to power a turbine which put a current through the water ad infinitum, leading to a 100% reduction in cost and completely free fuel.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2003, 10:32   #9
huh
WHY DID YOU PUSH GRANDMA

huh is an unknown quantity at this point
TPE 0wn j00 4ll l4m3rz
huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2003, 14:51   #10
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
'I created this dark matter drive which gives 200% fuel efficiency!'

I severely doubt they've violated conservation of energy.

If they have, then all of physics is invalid. Which it isn't.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2003, 14:52   #11
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

The Prof says it's bollocks. So it is.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2003, 14:54   #12
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
The Prof is The Dude.
Unread 22 May 2003, 15:51   #13
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri

I severely doubt they've violated conservation of energy.

me too from my somewhat limited knowledge of these things.

[redalert]
sooner or later, time vill tell
[/redalert]
Unread 22 May 2003, 15:57   #14
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
That looks pretty interesting, especially as it has been independantly verfied and reproduced (unlike the cold-fusion fiasco).

The doubt raised about monitoring the electrical input seems unlikely - with the sophisticated equipment available today I find it hard to conceive that it could somehow underestimate by three times - and that's the MINIMUM gain claimed.

However, we will see once exaustive testing has been done.
If this turns out to be valid then the implications are enormous for energy bills alone. However, if anyone tries to market it in the USA I fully expect the power companies to sue for damages and loss of revenue.

Unread 22 May 2003, 16:21   #15
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
A nuclear reactor produces several orders of magnitude more energy than is fed into it.
Unread 22 May 2003, 16:31   #16
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by W
A nuclear reactor produces several orders of magnitude more energy than is fed into it.
So does a match.
Unread 22 May 2003, 16:36   #17
W
Gubbish

Quote:

"In the case of cold fusion, people talked about getting a 10 per cent energy gain or so, which could be explained away quite easily but this is much too big for that."
They're saying that surplus energy can be "explained away", as long as it's small enough?!? I wouldn't take this mans word too seriously.
Quote:

"We are offering to risk-share on it, as it will need about £200,000 to prove the principle behind it."
Gee, that came as a surprise...
Unread 22 May 2003, 16:40   #18
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

and in both those cases we have a rough idea where the energy is coming from, in the above example - they dont...
Unread 22 May 2003, 16:42   #19
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by W
Why are BNFL bankrupt then?

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2003, 16:42   #20
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally posted by W

Gee, that came as a surprise...
shrug.
all research needs funding, unless you have a magical way of doing it for free, in which case, get a patent sorted...
Unread 22 May 2003, 16:50   #21
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
and in both those cases we have a rough idea where the energy is coming from, in the above example - they dont...
Fleischmann and Pons had no idea, they just assumed it was cold fusion.
Unread 23 May 2003, 00:28   #22
W
Gubbish

Quote:
I have a rough idea why they don't have any idea (if they truly don't); because they're incompetent...
Unread 23 May 2003, 00:30   #23
W
Gubbish

Quote:
shrug.
all research needs funding, unless you have a magical way of doing it for free, in which case, get a patent sorted...
Little research I know of have to be that expensive. It's an excuse to buy the most expensive toys in the shop, it is. Honest or not.
Unread 23 May 2003, 00:50   #24
G_frog
Look over there!

G_frog is an unknown quantity at this point
'Not cold fusion' my eye - it's clearly a 'cold fusion' stylee experiment (ofc cold fusion never was shown to be fusion), and i don't doubt they were doing it for that very reason.

speaking as a layman, I strongly suspect we don't know what is happening because materials science is too piece-meal atm (take a look at superconductor research, it's trial and error finding the new ones). 10-1 it's experimental error or a novel electron configuration.
G_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2003, 00:55   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Superconductor research is trial and error because there's no other way to do it. The mathematics is literally impossible.

[edit]

There's none of the comedy of 'you've got too few neutrons for it to be fusion'
'No we haven't'
'Yes you have, you've got 7 orders of magnitude too few'
Unread 23 May 2003, 01:04   #26
Freakozoid
Anon.

Freakozoid is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Superconductor research is trial and error because there's no other way to do it. The mathematics is literally impossible.

[edit]

There's none of the comedy of 'you've got too few neutrons for it to be fusion'
'No we haven't'
'Yes you have, you've got 7 orders of magnitude too few'
Comedy??
Freakozoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2003, 01:06   #27
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice
Re: although im very skeptical of such things

Quote:
In tests performed for The Telegraph, the cell heated water to near-boiling, apparently producing more than three times the amount of energy fed into it.
No, this won't do for my kettle.
The water needs to boil properly.

No nobel prize for you, have a
Unread 23 May 2003, 01:17   #28
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Freakozoid
Comedy??
It is for a physicist.
Unread 23 May 2003, 01:38   #29
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
There was something I heard a while ago along the lines of it being noticed that when you got a superconductor material to very nearly absolute zero and shoved electricity thorugh it, for some reason there was an area of lower gravity directly above it.

Was this ever proven or disproven, or have I been sniffing the glue too much again?

Unread 23 May 2003, 01:40   #30
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

I thought testing it's resistance (if it's 0, it's a superconductor) would be much quicker.

And that was 'research' made by a Russian scientist with no evidence or description of how he did it.
Unread 23 May 2003, 01:46   #31
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Ah - a case along the lines of the cloned human thingy.

What the hell happened about that in the end? Last I heard they weren't revealing identities in order to protect the family's privacy.
Privacy shouldn't be too hard to ensure for a fictional family, surely?

Unread 23 May 2003, 01:54   #32
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Everyone ignored them and they went away.