User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 20 May 2003, 16:21   #1
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Skippy CD Rom

No nothing to do with our favourite marsupial!

A while back I upgraded a machine from Win98SE to Win2K(SP2). Now when playing a CD or MP3 from a CD through Windows it has minute pauses every few seconds. Likewise if playing an avi or mpeg (for example) it does the same.

I've not changed anything in the BIOS, and I assume that a basic CDRom drive is pretty "standard" and doesn't require massively specific drivers, so I was content to let Win2K install the relevant ATAPI driver at start-up.

Any ideas? Reckon it's a Windows problem? Something else now causing conflicts? It worked fine under Win98SE.

On a side note, anybody know how to make it default in Win2K that at the prompt, pressing "up arrow" inserts the previous command? Weird that on some Win2K machines it does it, some it doesn't! (Doskey borked?)

Ta,

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2003, 23:05   #2
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Check the DMA is set on the cdrom

Control Pane/System/Hardware/Device Manager

Select IDE/ATAPI drive controllers then the IDE channel you are using for the cdrom, probably secondary IDE

Hit advanced setting and make sure the transfer mode is set to DMA if available.

Not sure about the 2nd thing. It always works for me

Vaio
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2003, 23:09   #3
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Thank you very much sir! Now I don't have to rip all my CDs to MP3 in order to listen to them!!

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2003, 20:29   #4
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Not sure on the up/down business (doskey /? may give you some tips, but where to set it .. no idea), but auto complete is well worth turning on (they should have it turned on by default, but nooooooo...)

regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Command Processor

change the value of CompletionChar to your favourite ASCII value (I find 9 (in other words, tab) to be most handy)

relaunch your console and have tab auto complete stuff for you!

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote