User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 1 Feb 2003, 15:40   #1
Chrism
Governor General

Chrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the rough
Shuttle Columbia 'lost'

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/0....ap/index.html

Quote:
CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida (AP) -- NASA lost communication with space shuttle Columbia shortly before its scheduled landing on Saturday. It was unclear whether there were any other problems.

Mission Control reported no communication with the shuttle after 9 a.m. EST.
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 15:41   #2
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Rumour control has it that it burned up on re-entry. As yet I am unable to find anything to substantiate this but if true I assume more information will be forthcoming.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 15:43   #3
Spüg

Rumor 'control'? How can it be control if a rumor that it burned up is getting out??
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 15:43   #4
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
i bet it was saddam
Knight Theamion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 15:43   #5
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
this could be bad... :(
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 15:46   #6
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Knight Theamion
i bet it was saddam
saddam bin laden?
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 15:47   #7
Red
Reborn

Red is an unknown quantity at this point
There's the picture with the parts burning in the sky. This is bad, unless the picture is about Mir or something

Ignorance is a bliss unless you die of it
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 15:53   #8
Spüg

"my entire house was shaking, and it's not a small house."

and already they're mentioned terrorism
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 15:54   #9
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
BBC and Fox links to go with the CNN one. Apparently there are claims of debris seen falling.

For those not reading the links NASA lost all radio contact with the shuttle shortly before landing. There has been no sign of the shuttle since so NASA has declared an emergency and cleared all reporters from Cape Canaveral. Columbia was carrying the world's first Israeli astronaut and if there's any link shown between that and what increasingly looks to be a lost shuttle then the **** is gonna hit the fan so hard it'll make Desert Storm look like a walk in the park.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 15:57   #10
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
http://www.newsnow.co.uk/newsfeed/?name=Current+Affairs

auto updating linkage for anyone who cares

this is going to be very bad.

US/israel suspecting palestine not to mention iraq is heading for a whole heap of ****
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 15:59   #11
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Before everyone gets too hung up on terrorism...
Quote:
On launch day, a piece of insulating foam on the external fuel tank came off during liftoff and was believed to have struck the left wing of the shuttle.

Leroy Cain, the lead flight director in Mission Control, had assured reporters Friday that engineers had concluded that any damage to the wing was considered minor and posed no safety hazard.
cnn.com
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 16:01   #12
Ragnarak

but bush only needs an excuse to push the button...
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 16:09   #13
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
The shuttle was 40 miles above Texas when contact was lost, the chances of it being due to terrorist activity = 0.
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 16:10   #14
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
First israeli in space, and the shuttle breaks up over palestine, Texas.

Though CNN said that it is 'highly unlikely' to be a terrorist attack.
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 16:18   #15
Spüg

bill hillybilly was on the line ya'll
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 16:19   #16
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Spüg
bill hillybilly was on the line ya'll
Aye, the newsreporter was liek 'wtf'
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 16:20   #17
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
ffs

Everything that has happened after september 11th has been instantly pointed at terrorism - for god's sake, these things happen! (Anyone to point out that this exact sort of event hasn't happened in the history of manned space flight gets a punch in the face) These people know the risks when they go in for these sort of things.

So there was an Israeli on board... coincidence, of course. It was 40 miles up when it appeared to break apart (NOT explode).
But naturally there'll be finger pointing... a high-up israeli airforce officer that ran highly successful missions against iraq in the gulf war gets blown up in a space shuttle crash. Naturally finger pointing will occur. I just hope Bush and Blair don't try to use this to start a war...

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 16:20   #18
Gayle29uk
Bitch

CNN has updated. The shuttle is officially gone.
Quote:
Shuttle breaks up
The space shuttle Columbia broke up today as it descended over central Texas toward a planned landing at Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Seven crew members were aboard. The White House said the shuttle's altitude -- over 200,000 feet -- made it "highly unlikely" that the shuttle fell victim to a terrorist act.
Requisat im pace
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 16:21   #19
Spüg

Quote:
Originally posted by ParraCida
Aye, the newsreporter was liek 'wtf'
it's always amusing to watch the guy try and act all in cool in the face of this great danger

also note he keeps saying "they're talking to me, they're talking too loud in my ear"
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 16:44   #20
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by Knight Theamion
i bet it was saddam
yes, with one of his ufos :/
wu_trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 16:46   #21
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
It's all New Mexico's fault. It lost contact shortly after passing over us.

Note to CIA officers reading this: I am not breifed in my state's use of black operations. Don't come and get me in the night. I am useless.

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 16:47   #22
Asper

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
CNN has updated. The shuttle is officially gone.

Requisat im pace
It's not gone, just scattered all over Texas...

Rest in pieces, oh well it gives the CNN some breaking news again and something to fill their program for another week.
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 16:51   #23
Mirai

Quote:
Originally posted by Asper
It's not gone, just scattered all over Texas...

Rest in pieces, oh well it gives the CNN some breaking news again and something to fill their program for another week.
We just lost a 2 billion dollar piece of machinery. I think it's going to be about 2 weeks until we rid oursleves of this.

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 16:54   #24
Homerio
Furious Angel

Homerio is an unknown quantity at this point
bit ironic that on cnn its in the "breaking news" section

<Slava> If we quit pa and take up residence in a new game that would be better. Take our organisation, alliance, and skills elsewhere.
<Hathor^> hyperiums
<Hathor^> Dark Galaxy
<Slava> anything will do.
* Slava imagines team-deathmatch-hopscotch
Homerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 17:00   #25
Mirai

Quote:
Originally posted by Homerio

not really. It just happened. like an hour ago. That's pretty breaking.

oh I get it.

that's awful. Shut up.

oh that's so awful. I'm gonna reuse that now.

Unread 1 Feb 2003, 17:01   #26
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Requisat im pace
You mean 'requiescat in pace'
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 17:02   #27
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
You mean 'requiescat in pace'
Yes.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 17:07   #28
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Yes.
It's a pretty sad event, and a very unfortunate setback in space research.
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 17:10   #29
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
It's a pretty sad event, and a very unfortunate setback in space research.
Definitely sad but not necessarily a setback, it depends on the attitude they take. NASA have a well deserved reputation for not giving up so hopefully their attitude will be 'we will not let this stop us'.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 17:11   #30
Mirai

I just saw footage of when the shuttle passed over White Sands (about a hour south of me). It was fine at that point. When the shuttle entered Texas, it began to break up and disintegrate.

I'm thinking a tile of the heat shield was broken and no one noticed. Even one makes a difference.

Unread 1 Feb 2003, 17:14   #31
Ice-Lady
Pandoras Box of filth

Ice-Lady has a spectacular aura aboutIce-Lady has a spectacular aura aboutIce-Lady has a spectacular aura about
Sad news indeed We were only at KSC in November and watched the previous shuttle launch for the ISS...
Ice-Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 17:17   #32
Spüg

Quote:
Originally posted by Homerio
haha
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 17:51   #33
Mirai

NPR (National Public Radio) says that space radar showed the shuttle upside down and spinning as it entered the atmosphere. This has not been verified.

Unread 1 Feb 2003, 17:58   #34
AnGeLiS

they lost contact with the shuttle at 20,000 feet. At that altitude terrorist are ruled out. although a big concern now is terrorist seeing this as a sign from god that he is on their side. well guess that new space shuttle program is gonna get rushed now.
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 17:59   #35
Mirai

Quote:
Originally posted by AnGeLiS
they lost contact with the shuttle at 20,000 feet. At that altitude terrorist are ruled out. although a big concern now is terrorist seeing this as a sign from god that he is on their side. well guess that new space shuttle program is gonna get rushed now.
We still have 5 more shuttles..

And it was at 200,000 feet. 20,000 is below most airliner traffic.

Unread 1 Feb 2003, 18:12   #36
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice
Quote:
Definitely sad but not necessarily a setback, it depends on the attitude they take. NASA have a well deserved reputation for not giving up so hopefully their attitude will be 'we will not let this stop us'.
Are you joking?????????

NASA is on the verge of bankruptcy, with the balloning cost of the ISS. I think public support is the only thing keeping it going. Now this......
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 18:27   #37
Jammers

Jammers has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I reckon "somebody" forgot to switch off the FlameBall machine.
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 18:34   #38
alastair18

alastair18 is a jewel in the roughalastair18 is a jewel in the roughalastair18 is a jewel in the roughalastair18 is a jewel in the rough
A radar image of the shuttle breaking up
alastair18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 18:35   #39
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
wreckage found, rumour has it human remains have been also
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 18:42   #40
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
You can bet this will at least mean no more space launches until they've analized this for some months. I'm a big fan of NASA, but I fear this could be very bad for them...

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 18:46   #41
Cicada
p a r r a c i d a

Cicada is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
nasa's attitude will be that, but it'll be all the excuse the US government needs to shut down the space programme for good....
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 18:46   #42
Bakan
To Old to Die......

Bakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the rough
CNN keeps saying that they might have found some of the human remains.
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 18:52   #43
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Scoot951
You can bet this will at least mean no more space launches until they've analized this for some months. I'm a big fan of NASA, but I fear this could be very bad for them...
They have to. There are 3 people on the ISS...they may be able to get home on one of the russian escape pods, but I don't think anyone's made any decisions on if they want to chance it.
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 18:55   #44
Gayle29uk
Bitch

White House press conference within the next 30 minutes. BBC24 feed here.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 18:57   #45
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
I fear that this incident could set space travel back by decades.
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 18:58   #46
Bakan
To Old to Die......

Bakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Belgarath The Sorcerer
I fear that this incident could set space travel back by decades.
Agreed, I won't be surprise if there are only a handfull of missions from now on.

Or maybe they might finally revamp the space program, though I strong doubt that considering the current administraion.
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 19:36   #47
General Geiger

General Geiger is infamous around these partsGeneral Geiger is infamous around these parts
As the more perceptive among you have noted, while this is a terrible tragedy, its greater significance, in the longer term, is the detrimental impact it is likely to have on future manned spaceflight. The shuttle is an ageing, almost obsolete technology; there have been 111 flights, and the odds of disaster on each one runs at approximately one in a hundred.

It is fortuitous that there are three people aboard the ISS at this present moment. If they weren't there, forcing NASA to keep launching shuttle missions to supply them, there would be another Challenge-style prolonged grounding, and several years would pass before the space program started up again. It might even not do so - following a disaster like this, the already massively overdue, white elephant ISS might never be completed, without a human reason to keep up supply missions. The three people currently in space may well prove the link to a glorious future we are on a knife-edge of either attating or never achieving. By forcing NASA to continue sending up missions, to keep their people in orbit alive, they will be forced to take a constructive attitude of "getting over" Columbia, rather than, like following Challenger, retreating into safety-obsessed introversion and getting nothing else done until 1989.

The worst thing NASA can possibly do right now is to hack it's schedule to pieces and spend a year working out what went wrong and how it can prevent it ever happening again. By all means they should do that, but alongside continuing use of the other three vehicles (I note someone said five - there are only three, but this is more than enough, considering the infrequency of launches). I'm the biggest space-phile you're ever likely to meet, so am somewhat biased, but what NASA has to do over the next year is continue its program as normal using the other three shuttles, with the Columbia investigation a sideline.

This is no understatement: It is vital for the future of humanity that this disaster does not slow or scupper spatial development. These things happen. It has been almost a hundred shuttle flights since Challenger; we were due for a disaster round about now anyway. Now it's happened. Let's pray it doesn't again for at least another seventeen years. Meanwhile, let's get on with it and finish the ISS.

I dread hearing the political reaction to this. Beyond the immediate remorse, they will, I am almost certain, though I pray otherwise, advocate a lengthy grounding of the shuttle fleet lasting until the investigation is completed and measures taken so that it can never happen again. Future supply missions to the ISS will likelybe made by unmanned rocket. This is the worst possible news; news of such magnitude, for the future of the whole species, that no one else will even be able to appreciate it. It's too big, too far away for most people to even care. There's just a few space obsessives, like me, who will rant and rave like I am doing here, voices lost in the surrounding chorus of uncaringness.

Anyway. I think this deserves a beer.

*morg has never heard of GD
<@morg> sounds like an std to me

<.KraKto5is8> "you can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose"
General Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 19:44   #48
Treyjun

This is a bad day for NASA. NASA is gonna have its hands full fighting the trolls who are trying to kill the space programs. :-(
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 20:09   #49
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
The exploration of Space will go on.
GWB
Much as I dislike Bush this is one thing he deals with very well. His speach after the September 11th attack on the WTC was just right, as was his response to this. An acknowledgement of grief, a message for the families of those involved, and a statement that the US will still move forward.

You'll not hear me say this often but well done Mr. Bush.
das blinkenlights!!!

Last edited by Gayle29uk; 1 Feb 2003 at 20:17.
Unread 1 Feb 2003, 20:17   #50
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
The statistics indicated it was likely to happen again. A great pity for the families of the astronauts. In fairness anyone who thinks this means that space travel should be stopped belongs in a home with a nurse to wipe the drool off his chin. Thousands of people are killed every year on the roads in america, maybe we should ban driving!